1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supporting Community Services

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mohib, May 4, 2021.

1. Mohib

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Are you comfortable supporting community services and doing public works outside the LGBT community?

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I am not a one issue person. I have worked with groups to feed homeless people, worked with young schoolchildren learning to read, worked to raise funds for domestic violence shelters and more. (I have also in the past been politically active organizing protests against war, working on immigration issues, environmental issues and others)

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I’m not doing anything currently, but I have previously volunteered in schools and with museums or heritage organisations.

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mohib.....Hello and a great big LGBTQ+ welcome to Empty Closets! :old_smile: There are a number of sub-forums here on EC...why don't you check them out and then feel free to join in the conversations! Volunteering to help with public, local services is something that we should all consider. Depending on the government for everything is not the best path. We will do our best to be a support and a place to vent when you need it! :old_big_grin: We are so glad that you have found us here on EC!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

#4 quebec, May 5, 2021
    Last edited: May 9, 2021
  5. Denial

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I volunteer for some mental health organizations and while they are not specifically for the LGBT community they are listed as LGBT-affirming, though much of the population they serve is heterosexual and cis-gender. So that's an option too if you are looking to volunteer somewhere. I do think I'd be comfortable at a general community organization as well, this is just where I volunteer at the moment.

6. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I am and yes I do. Having said that, I will investigate their diversity and inclusion policies and procedures first.

7. Suitsme

Suitsme Guest

Absolutely. I will fight for any cause if there is injustice. I’ve worked on many issues in the past and I have, and still do, lots of things for all kinds of charities.