1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sun/heat exposure risks from Psych meds

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ECMember, Jul 13, 2018.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Is there a risk for a heat stroke from taking Psych Meds? I take Gabapentin 300mg(2x/day) and Celexa 20mg(1x/day). A few times during this summer, I go out with a friend. His car doesn't have good tint and sometimes I get lightheaded sensentation going to our destination. Granted we live in Texas, but his car is a few degrees more hotter than the actual temperature outside. There are times when it doesn't bother me as much, when I bring water or gatoraide in his car and drink.

Last night, I felt like shit somewhat. We are at our college's pool and chilling a bit. I was feeling great and had drank Gatoraide going to our college and when I was at the guys' locker room changing to my swimsuit and before I got in the pool. We had aquajoged to one end of the pool and I felt some palpitation/tachycardia sensation a bit, then we later finished and went to take showers and change to our regular clothes. I felt some mild lightheadeness in the locker room and I splashed my face with cold water in the shower. It went away somewhat then when we went to get dinner, I was feeling tachycardia(strong ones) and palpitations going to the pizza place and some lightheadeness. I thought I was having a stroke at first. I had water to drink at the pizza place and had splash water on my face in the men's room.

I don't know if you guys or ladies take psych meds and dealt with this problem during summer months before.

I did let my doc know about this and waiting for a reply from him, I sent him a secure message online about this this morning.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not aware of any specific sun/heat contraindications from either of those meds. However, if you are relatively new on them (less than a month), your body may be still adjusting, and the combination of the elevated temperature, which is in a way like heavy exercise, with the new meds could be amplifying what would otherwise be mild and normal side-effects.

The best advice will be from your doctor. It would be helpful to the community if you'd share what you hear back.

3. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Chip.

Ive been taking them since December 2016 when I was in an inpatient psych hospital. I wasnt drinking alcohol or doing illegal drugs when I was hanging out with my friend last night

I do feel “hungovr” feeling still. Palpitations and some heayness and mild headachr

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the 'hangover' feeling is something you've had since you started taking the meds, I'd talk to your doctor. Gabapentin does have a tendency to cause drowsiness/hazyness at higher doses, and it seems you're on a relatively high dose. Very often, meds need to be adjusted after a while to maintain optimal effects.

5. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think anything over 1000mg is a high dose for Gabapentin

6. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    @Chip. I feel some improvement from yesterday. But I feel some mild palpitations in my chest. It doesn't feel like a tachy. And also I feel some increased thirst.

I'm unsure from being in the sun while at my college's pool had caused some mild heat exhaustion/ or heat stroke. I didn't pass out or throw up or collapse at the pool, if I did, I would've been in an ER bed typing this rather than my house. I can rule out anything life threatening.

My urine isn't dark colored, it was clear when I went to piss on Thursday. The symptoms I had after showering and eating dinner Thursday night where strong palpiations, mild lightheadness/confusion, but no nausea/vomitting.

I'm not going to exercise until a few days or wait to hear back from my MD to see if my medications plus the sunlight exposure caused this.

7. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    @Chip

I feel a mild tachycardia palpitation that comes and go.

I feel some improvement

But I feel some dull heaviness in my head that comes and goes

I feel no sense of hunger when I eat, like Im forcing myself to eat.

Some mild forgetfulness/pauses.

And some mild increased thirst

8. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Do I have kidney problems???

Can someone see my posts

9. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    At the moment this what I feel:

Some mild forgetfulness/pause/confusion
    Some heaviness in my head
    Warmness feeling
    Palpitations/mild tachycardia
    Some random headaches somewhat caused by light or looking at screens(tv or smart phone).
    Some sensitivty to sunlight/head

I do hydrate with water and gatoarde

I havent exercised yet

I havent passed out or vommited or had a sezuire.

I have urinated and it clear or a light yellow color. So thats good

Does anyone think I had a case of mild heat exhaustion or a borderline heat stroke?

Could my meds been a cause?

@Chip

10. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can update you guys:

I saw my dr yesterday.

He did agree that I did have heat exhaustion last Thursday when I was at the pool with my friend. He did say that my medications don't interact with the sunlight/or sun itself. He believes I didn't hydrate enough that afternoon. Which I do agree. He say that my lips looked okay, my pulse looked fine. My bp was 147/91 when the Medical Assistant lady checked it but my pulse was in the 70s. Though, just as a precaution I did tell him to do some labs just to be on the safe side that there was no hidden damage from the heat exposure/exhaustion from last week. So he wrote some lab orders for a CBC and CMP for next Monday. Going back to the doc's office on Monday morning. Going to fast on Sunday night, and go when the office opens.