1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Studying Abroad-Skills for the Future

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by panda, Apr 11, 2009.

1. panda

2. BeautifulStranger

Studying abroad?

Uh yeah... That's one of the greatest ways to prepare for the future, in my oppinion.
    As the article points out, it brings cultural awareness. I'm now quite confident in just about any German situation.
    Then, of course, language... I think every person should learn a foreign language.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My youngest daughter is in Italy right now studying abroad.

4. RENThead

im not studying abroad, but im traveling (in 18 days)
    i have a working visa- so im not aloud to study there... i wish i could- but i really dont have the money.

5. jazzrawr

I'm planning on studying abroad in University. I think it really is an amazing way to prepare for the future.
    I'm probably going to England though, so no foreign language, but I'm learning French and German in school so I'm not devoid of language skills. XD

6. ricoca

Well, I was born in Indonesia, lived there for ten years before moving to Singapore to study for 6 years (completed my O levels) and then moving to the States to start university.

It's a very good experience for anyone but the problem is, it will cost tons of money just to go overseas. Both Singapore and US charges me way more than the citizens for school fees. I'm lucky my parents are able to afford it.

It is a good experience though, and you get to learn so much about other people and other cultures.

7. Apocalypte

I would love to have studied abroad during my time in college, but my academic record was always way too inconsistent to be allowed to go. I'm still hoping to go to Japan at some stage though.

8. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not studying abroad, but I will be studying aboard for the first semester of next year, I am so excited. I would also love to do a year of university in France, I've been in a french immersion school since kindergarten so I already sort of know the language but the whole culture thing would be so great too.

9. revolutionrock

I'm already planning to do so for my sophomore year of college! I think it'll be great.

I think the best thing a high school kid can do is a rotary exchange. I really wish I wouldve done one now. I know so many people who absolutely love/loved it; my best friend is in France right now. :slight_smile:

10. olides84

I so recommend it if you have any interest in experiences beyond your country. While at university in the USA, I did an exchange in Austria. And I think the awareness and confidence I got from that experience was a catalyst for making the move to live and work in Europe right now.

11. No foreign country appeals to me enough besides America to want to go stay there for an extended period of time to learn or anything.