1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Student accommodation, what are your experiences?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm currently considering moving into accommodation next year for University (I have been commuting throughout my foundation year, but that may change when I go onto a full degree), so I thought that I could make this thread for people to share their current or previous experiences with living in accommodation. What was it like for you? Did you enjoy it? What advice would you give someone considering this?

:slight_smile:

#1 Canterpiece, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  2. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm currently living in student accommodations at a university. I don't know if it's different in England, but here in the U.S. it's pretty much a 50/50 chance whether it's awesome or horrible, there is no way to really know which it will be until you're there (and contractually trapped for at least a year so you can't move out).

Some places are amazing and provide the perfect university experience (luckily, mine falls into this category) and it's really nice being able to live in a community of all students where everyone helps each other and socializes. It also helps people make friends.

However, I have seen other places where the entire building is literally falling apart and there is mold and stuff everywhere. Real example, last week someone's bed fell through the floor at one of the bad places because the building was built so badly.

It is very, very important to make sure the accommodations are good ones before agreeing to live there.

Finding the right roommate is also very important, as they can make or break the entire experience. My first roommate was horrible and it was really annoying having to live with that guy. My second/current roommate however is awesome and getting along with him made the whole experience so much better.

3. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Here, I just took a few pictures of my place so you can see for yourself what it might be like for you.

thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail.jpg thumbnail2.jpg

4. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What are student accommodations? Is it like student dorms?

5. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm unsure if it's the same everywhere, but here "dorms" are the traditional double bunk bed one small room living situation that most people think of for students, while "accommodations" are actual apartments owned by the university that they rent to students in an all-student community.

6. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not familiar with those over in England, but as other here in the US it really depends on the university on who nice the student housing is. I have seen some that were less than pleasant and other that were really nice.

And roommates are always a craps shoot, I've heard horror stories and I have heard of people becoming the best of friends.

7. Loves books

I'm in college accomadation in Ireland and you get what you pay for. My college doesn't have accomadation on Campus but provides accomadation within 10 min walk. It doesn't have enough accomadation for all its students nowhere even close. My place was expensive but I have my own room and own en-suite. I share a kitchen with the other 5 girls in my apartment. To get in to the building, apartment and your room you need a keycard. The apartments favorite words are you will be fined. They do a room inspection once a month. They have fire drills at 8 in the morning and then give out because in an 8 floor apartment we weren't out in seconds. The cheaper places have to share a bathroom and I would definitely not do that.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I lived at a residential college on campus for a while. I found it overpriced, cramped and it had awful food but I did make a lot of friends.

I now live in a student sharehouse. It's much cheaper, I have more freedom and only live with three other people. If you don't know people at the uni you're going to, I'd say it's probably worth it for your first year. If you do know people or will involve yourself in enough things to make friends outside of the academic sphere (making friends out of classmates happens pretty rarely, fair warning), then I might reconsider it.

#8 Aussie792, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  9. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I went to a fairly small school (approx. 2000 students, a few hundred lived on campus), our dorms were townhouses. Each house had a four bedrooms (usually two students per room), a living room, a full kitchen, a laundry room, two full bathrooms (plus two additional sinks outside the bathrooms). The problem became with eight guys sharing a house, chores were often times not done. The garbage would pile up, as would the dirty dishes.