1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuck in a self-destructive circle.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Canterpiece, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today has been one of those days. Where you don't have any motivation to do anything, and when you receive feedback on your work even the slightest critique makes you want to burn it.

I'll admit that there's a side of me that wishes I could burn all my work, flee to some obscure village and find a simple job with little responsibility.

Yes, I'm aware it's just a fantasy.

What I hate the most about feeling this way, is that it makes me want to brood alone and that only cuts into my fleeting time even more. But when you're in that slump, you can't focus and feel too down to produce work. So you end up with mediocrity which only further adds into the feeling.

It's not very motivating to keep producing the same quality and never seeming to progress. So you don't want to do it, but if you don't do it then you don't improve.

:disappointed:

2. MRMitch

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know what you mean, I've been like that recently, where I've been unhappy about my life and my current situation, and being unhappy has made my motivation and interest to do things diminish, it doesn't help me at work either, because I lose focus and concentration, then I get angry at myself for doing this, so its just a daily endless cycle, which has become frustrating, so I know how you feel.

3. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What motivates us to work in the first place is the belief that our work is worth doing. That it has a purpose. That’s one thing, but actually trying to produce good work is something all together different. Not only does being out there set us up for criticism, it also forces us to come face to face with our limitations. Doing good work is hard and it’s bound to be discouraging at times, but successful people are the ones that realize that conflict is the best teacher and that the worst critics are actually providing important insight to improve. Brood if you must, just don’t take too long. You only get one chance at life and the clock is ticking...

MRMitch likes this.