1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling to express yourself after coming out?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by KaiOfBees, Mar 6, 2022.

1. KaiOfBees

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, so I've known (or suspected) I was trans for about six years now. Coming to terms with that was (and is!) a huge relief. It's like, I've been wearing these tinted glasses all this time, only to pull them off and realize it doesn't have to be dark, there are endless possibilities of hues and shades in the world! How beautiful it suddenly seems.

But there's one thing I've struggled with that seems to be counter to what I've read from others. It always seems to be this tipping point into living more authentically, embracing yourself and expressing yourself more freely than ever. In some days, I've had that too. But I've also had... Sort of the opposite problem.

As a proud "tomgirl", I would vehemently reject most traditionally feminine things. But there was also that feeling that it's okay to like those things. It may come with some level of internal shame attached, but at least I'm doing a good job of being female in some regards, I guess.

Now that I want the world to look past my appearance and see the man in me, I've found myself trying to hide the feminine parts of me. I feel, in some way, that I don't deserve to like or take interest in those things- I'm all for feminine men, they're lovely and wonderful and they warm my heart! But for me, it's like I have to pick one or the other. If I'm a man I don't get the privilege of those feminine urges.

I feel that over time I've managed to get over these feelings to some degree, particularly by looking up to gay and bisexual men who have that infectious "just be you" attitude. But I still frequently find myself with feelings of guilt or anger over outwardly expressing anything other than masculine energy.

So, I don't know, I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with anything similar, and if you have any words of advice or consolidation to share.

Batman likes this.
  2. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi KaiOfBees, yes I can relate. With me, it's the opposite problem. I'm suppressing traits in myself that I consider masculine. In particular my tendency to sound strident and argumentative. Often I can sense I'm going to go off on a rant of some sort and a little inner voice says 'stop it. That's so unladylike!'

It's difficult. I don't want to sound prissy and mouse-like, like some bad imitation of an out-dated notion of what constitutes 'femininity'. I want to be authentically (yes, that word again) me.

I'm hoping that in the long run hormones and voice training will iron all this out.

So yes it's a similar situation to yours, KaiOfBees. The only advice I'd say is to try and not be so hard on yourself. Gender is a performance (to an extent) and because us trans folk are late starters we often have a lot of catching up to do! Given time you'll be able to find a balance that's completely and authentically you.

Beth x

KaiOfBees likes this.
  3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is a man? What does it take to be a man? What is masculine energy, opposed to feminine energy?

Not asking these questions to be challenging, but to get the thought process going. As a cis man, I'm buggered if I know the answers myself. Having said that, I do believe the mark of a man comes from within. Outward signs are nothing more than veneer. When the chips are down and life is against him, can he face it? This is where a guys real strength lies.

Looking up to these men is no bad idea. At various times the chips will have been down and life will have been against them, but they've chosen strength over weakness. They've dug in and fought for their authenticity and right to be themselves and in some cases they're doing it every single day. If strength is a sign of masculinity, then they have it in bucket loads. It's not an outward thing, but something that comes from deep within them. It's at the core of who they are.

By the way, trans guys have it to. You don't transition without strength.

KaiOfBees likes this.
  4. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i feel u bro. Idk if this is gonna be comforting but i think this is a pretty typical transdude problem. Its like , the world is finally understanding that being a man doesnt look like one thing, but for there really is this pressure for transdudes to be like super manly to validify their experience of being trans. Im a very masculine person but have a real soft side - but when expressing my feminine side i always get the feel that people will think im not man enough to be trans.

And Ive had partners, family, friends, coworkers that doubt my experience and it has definitely changed the way that I express myself and has made me be less genuine in order to fit into their idea of what a dude should be. but thats total fuckin bullshit :triumph:

No matter how you present, there will always be people who misinterpret you, or make quick judgements, but embracing all parts of your identity and being 100% genuine is the only way you'll find true friends and connections who see you for who you are. And those are really the only people whose opinions deserve space in your brain.

#4 Batman, Mar 8, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
    chicodeoro likes this.