1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strong fear of body mutilation, especially eyes and heart!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Vega222, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello and hope everyone is well,

I have a weird sort of anxiety these days that as I remember, Has been with me since I was a kid. But recently it became too much to bear. When I'm lying in my bed I have a strong fear of body mutilation. Meaning, I fear some horrible damage happens to my body. It's mainly for my heart and eyes.
    Like, I fear my heart can suddenly stop working at any moment or maybe someone shoot a bullet through my heart. The fact that I can feel my heart's beatings makes it worse Because makes me imagine all that blood and stuff in my body and it is scary somehow.
    Another example is fearing something sharp thrust into my eyes and make me blind.

I remember when I was a child, I had a similar fear. I used to fear a giant robot steps on the house and then on my chest or belly, So I would sleep on my stomach to feel that parts of my body protected and escape that fears.

I would visit a therapist. But I can't do it for now. Because I don't wanna draw any attention from my family. And I don't have much privacy for now and can't do it secretly.

I probably can find some sources on the Internet too. But I'd appreciate it if I get some help from here as well.

Also, Anyone feels like that?

#1 Vega222, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  2. Revive

Revive Guest

I'm not a therapist and I would strongly suggest visiting one as soon as you are able to. It seems to be a 'small' fear for now and it could probably worsen if you don't get treated for it. That said, there might be some things to do to kind of suppress the feelings you have. You say it mostly occurs when you're laying in bed. I can imagine that's a logical place, cause there aren't any distractions when you're laying in bed. Maybe you could try doing something that helps you get your mind off of it. You could try writing your thoughts and feelings down (tho that could also make it worse) or distract your mind by reading, meditating or listening to a podcast. As I said, this is not a long term solution, so please get help when you can.

Lek and Vega222 like this.
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sounds like it's on the spectrum of intrusive thoughts, which is something I would definitely want to see a therapist about. It could be neurochemical, some triggering event(s) in your childhood, or both, but it should be explored as it sounds like it is creating day to day distress.

Vega222, Bisurprise and Lek like this.
  4. Bisurprise

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Similarly, because I can't sleep on my back (even though I loooove it and I miss it so much) because I feel like I'm being choked. But like really bad and out of nowhere, like a hand thrusts and tightens right in the middle of my throat so bad I jump and wake up..

Vega222 likes this.