1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight people in a same-sex marriage

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Obliteratrix47, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    #1 Obliteratrix47, Dec 14, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2021
  2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Marriages of convenience have always been a thing and the sad truth is that many gay men and women have entered into marriages of convenience to evade questions and issues arising from their sexuality.

There are friends who are so tight, who love each other so much that you could easily mistake them for a married couple... sharing almost everything except their bodies, their friendship is almost indistinguishable from a relationship. In fact, it's so tight that there is no room for anyone else, so....

3. CatSpinner

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is interesting and that story is actually very sweet if you think about it. I've heard of gay people being in straight heterosexual marriages to avoid family pressures, but not something like this before.

4. Loves books

That’s not a recent thread, I posted it in January. I still think it’s kind of sweet but they had a specific reason to marry and also one of them was terminally Ill. He was going to die soon and didn’t want to leave his best friend with an inheritance tax he couldn’t pay. I don’t think most straight people would enter a gay marriage if they were both healthy. Maybe for a green card or something but it would be awkward to explain to a future date. “So you're married to a man and you’re not gay.? You’ve never been gay?” It would take a bit of explaining.

5. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I think some straight people might give an explanation to others, like what's the reason for them to marry a person of the same gender.

6. Aussie Guy70

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I read an article a while back where 2 straight women who were best friends & had known each other for most of their lives got married. They decided that as best friends they knew they would be happy together. The twist is that despite being married, they are free to date other people as their own relationship is not physical or sexual in any way. My hoping is that they fall in love with each other and be a couple in the marriage, not just friends.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is really just a tax dodge. They would not be marrying except to avoid the consequences of the inheritance tax. It's a kind thing the terminal person is doing for his caregiver, but I don't think there are really any meaningful implications nor is it anything particularly new... people have gotten into hetero marriages of convenience for probably hundreds of years. I think this is likely just an extension of that.

8. Obliteratrix47

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If it's the right choice for them, then I won't judge.