1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stereotypes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mlm1234, Aug 16, 2017.

1. mlm1234

mlm1234 Guest

Do u think the lgbt community is getting bad toward stereotypes. i dont mean by people acting on it, but with people judge in the community that u r one.

im a stereotype queen, super fem, looks and personality. i find people in the community want me to be something else and put me down becasue of it. i can understand out people doing it but not in the community. i love who i am.
    what do u think of this happening in the lgbt community

2. Cody18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think people are generally ashamed of the stereotypes because they are of themselves/their sexuality and/or gender. To alleviate this shame they likely reject the stereotypes as if to elevate themselves. The classic "oh I'm not like them", distancing themselves from what the general population has trouble accepting to gain greater acceptance for themselves. Essentially wanting to seem "normal" and fit the status quo.

By you being how you are, some, who are likely insecure in who they are, at least to some degree probably shame/put you down for it, either because you represent what they are uncomfortable with, or because they believe it will damage the amount of acceptance they will receive if some people do not conform to the behaviours and expressions that are currently accepted.

Just my interpretation of it, I don't think this can apply in every scenario but it's generally how I view it.

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't speak with any great authority, considering I've only been involved in small parts since post 2010, but if you look back at things like Stonewall, it does seem like there was a different focus. Yeah, you have lesbian separatists, but they're a minority within a minority today, and I don't think I've ever heard someone from my generation seriously saying, "We're here, we're queer". Seems LGBT was a lot more "underground" at the time, so a lot of the less "acceptable" parts were allowed to thrive, ie bath houses. A few older folk have bemoaned the loss of culture and solidarity.

But I think you're always going to have those who are focused on their own lives, and to hell with the rest. No doubt, certain demographics have seen tremendous gains, so some feel they have to keep the others down and disassociate in order to be accepted. Norms from the cisgender/heterosexual community have crept in, too, I think. There isn't one fight, but many. One person might be more interested in marriage, while another wants to save up for transition. I've heard terrible stuff from members of different demographics towards the others. You get the idea that they don't think they share anything in common at all!

4. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't stand it. I get slut shamed a lot for being a Pansexual who loves experimenting with sex. Thing is I'm very loyal and open with my girlfriend, yet people assume I must also be cheating on her and "looking for something better" because of it. Plus I'm somehow giving the community a bad reputation with the "open relationship and up to doing threesomes" stereotype. Thing is I don't just sleep with anyone and everyone; I still have standards and requirements just like everyone else. Plus she always comes first for me and has the final say on things. Since we're both Pan we realized we can't give each other everything the other wants and have simply adapted to it. I don't see why we have to be forced into a strictly monogamous relationship just to prove we're a real dedicated couple to society. Yet almost every time I talk about my sexuality or relationship I'm greeted with eye rolls, labeled "the typical bi whore", and shamed that a "real loving relationship" doesn't work this way. We're both happy and not ashamed of who we are. I didn't come out of the closet just to enter another one of being an "acceptable Pan" to my community.

#4 Sinopaa, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017