1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting to doubt whether or not my mom will ever be okay with me being Trans...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MusicIsLife, Jul 20, 2012.

1. MusicIsLife

Hey all,

Yesterday I went with my mom to a clinic downtown to talk with my Counselor, in hopes that speaking to someone who deals with Trans kids will help her understand me better. No such luck.

With my mom it is HONESTLY like talking to a brick wall. Or a parrot. Or a brick parrot. You get the idea. She can't seem to get past the "It's so permanent, what if you change your mind?" and "You practically live in your room, you have no experience being a girl, so you can't know what it's like." And instead of moving on to other things she just kept bringing up those two subjects and we explained it to her a thousand times (patiently) but it doesnt seem to be getting through to her. She also point blank told me that she doesn't want me to transition (She also burst into tears when she saw my brand new boy haircut)

I also think the concept of telling the extended family terrifies her, even though that won't be for a few years at least.

I'm doing my very best to give her time, but my patience is running out. Advice?

2. kizza111

Sorry to hear that... You seem to be coping quite well considering what you're going through though :slight_smile:. I think really, time should actually help her come round. I know that isn't what you want to hear but for now, I think all you can really do is keep reminding her that it's going to happen whether she likes it or not (unless her opinion will actually stop you from going through with it), and eventually she will just have to accept it.

Sorry i guess that wasn't the most help, but I try my best :slight_smile:

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Showing her this thread might help some