1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting therapy

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by GreySky, Dec 10, 2017.

1. GreySky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'll be starting therapy soon. Hopefully. I'm about to contact one anyway. Only I'm a bit stuck on what to say? I've never done this before. What should someone mention when emailing a therapist for the first time? And assuming this therapist will be able to see me, what are first therapy sessions usually like? Honestly I feel like I wouldn't know where to start when it comes to talking about stuff.

2. Cory675

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey GreySky,

Don't worry about what to say. The first therapy session is usually just so that the therapist and you can get to know each other and establish some trust. The therapist will generally just want to know a little about you, your background etc. Then they will probably ask you about why you are seeking therapy. The therapist won't pressure you into opening up about things when you're not ready to. They first and foremost want to ensure that you feel comfortable with them. So, certainly for the first session, you don't need to do much at all. Just sit back and answer the questions the best you can.
    By the way, kudos on going to therapy. It's so insightful and you learn so much about yourself and gain powerful tools from it. I think everyone could benefit from seeing a therapist at some point in their life.

Hope it goes well :slight_smile:

GreySky and Ruby Dragon like this.
  3. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cory675 summed it up well.

I think in your initial email, you could say something like, "Good day. I would please like to schedule an appointment with you whenever it's convenient or whenever there is an opening"

You don't need to elaborate in the email. It's just a way of setting up an appointment. For me, I made a phone call, but if you don't like (or can't) talk over the phone for some reason, an email message should be perfectly okay. And like Cory675 said, the first session is just to get some background information, and basically the reason why you're seeking therapy. You don't have to give all the details at once. Open up gradually at your own pace. I think it will be beneficial to speak to a therapist. You're doing something good for yourself. I hope you get an appointment soon. All the best. Hugs

GreySky likes this.
  4. GreySky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Thank you! Honestly this has made me less stressed about the whole thing. I still feel a little too anxious to actually do anything, but I feel like this is a step in the right direction.