1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting therapy tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by staticinmyattic, Mar 17, 2022.

1. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Tomorrows a big day. I’m starting with a new therapist. I’m incredibly nervous, and I’m fighting the nagging inner voice that’s in an absolute panic about peeking my head out of my closet. I know the dangers inside the closet, and they suck, but I don’t know what to expect out there. I have to keep reminding myself of what I know every line of thinking will conclude with, that my depression can’t go away without addressing my dysphoria and gender identity. I can’t be or do what I want if I’m depressed, so that’s that. I can’t just keep pretending that I’m depressed for every possible reason except my gender. I’m doing this and I’m so scared

Rayland, SevnButton and ScottG like this.
  2. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't be scared. I have found the experience to be extremely helpful and has lightened my spirit and load.It might not be easy or comfortable, but so totally worth it.

buzzer likes this.
  3. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for that. I’ve been in therapy before and it’s always been great. It’s t he idea of coming out to a stranger over a video call that turns my stomach in knots. I’ve been going to insane lengths my whole life to keep my gender identity a secret, convincing myself that being outed means death (I know, I know). So telling someone feels like an incredibly dangerous and exposing act. I know it will benefit me, but it’s a lot of fear to get over.

edit: I’ve only discussed gender with a therapist once before, but couldn’t continue with her due to scheduling issues. This is basically new to me

#3 staticinmyattic, Mar 17, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  4. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it is any consolation, about three weeks ago I came out to my therapist in my video appointment. It was the first time that I have ever said that out loud to anyone. It was both harder and easier than I thought.

staticinmyattic and buzzer like this.
  5. buzzer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please don't let fear of the unknown keep you from doing what you know you need to do. I wish you the very best in this.

staticinmyattic and Alex2 like this.
  6. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    staticinmyattic.....I've been there where you will be in the morning. Looking face-to-face at a guy that I had just met and breaking down into heaving tears as I tried my best to say "I'm gay". It took me a while to get those words out, but it was the best choice I've ever made. I don't regret it and I don't think that you will regret seeing a therapist either! :old_big_grin:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

ScottG and staticinmyattic like this.