1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting T Soon, Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MaybeBenji, Jun 5, 2019.

1. MaybeBenji

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have my first T appointment in 6 days (woohoo!) and a follow-up the week after. So I'll probably be on T in 2 weeks!
    Does anyone have any advice?
    I've done lots of research and the doctor is going to explain everything to me but I'm curious to see what anecdotal advice someone may have.
    I haven't talked to my mom about it yet, but I came out to her a few months ago. I'm over 18 so I don't need her permission but I'd like her support.

What was your first T appointment like?
    Is there anything I should be prepared for?

Thanks!
    -Ben

2. Flynn S

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on starting T (soon)!

Don't expect a lot of changes right away. The most common thing I've heard other trans guys say is that they were really excited to start T and then didn't really see any noticeable changes for awhile. I'm sure you've probably already heard this though.

It might be a good idea to talk to your mom about it sooner than later. How was her reaction when you came out to her before?

My first appointment was pretty informal. I met with a doctor, she gave me the prescription, my blood pressure was taken, someone showed me how to do injections, and then they sent me off to the pharmacy. I didn't even do blood tests, which I think is a little atypical.

I don't know what your appointment will require, but some places (I think usually informed consent places, but possibly others?) ask for your "life story" (i.e. how and why you are transgender). So if that's the case, be prepared to give a bit of your history. Otherwise, good luck!

MaybeBenji likes this.
  3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's awesome! My first appointment they went over the information with me about what to expect and what needs to be done if I had a negative reaction to it. They then pulled some blood so bloodwork could be done. They then prescribed me the medication. Do you have any idea how you are going to take it? If you are going to be injecting it, be sure to ask them to demonstrate how to do your shot safely. I agree what @Flynn S said, changes will likely not happen as quickly as you hope, but give your body some time to adjust.

MaybeBenji likes this.
  4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first appointment was to sign the informed consent papers, and the second was to get the T shot. It was pretty standard, I went in to the doctor’s office and checked in. Then they took me back, took my vitals, and then a nurse came and showed me how to do the shot. I was pretty apprehensive about doing the shot myself, so I actually ended up going to the clinic every two weeks for my shot for about six months. Initially they did intramuscular shots, which have a longer needle and usually goes into the leg. Though my doctor switched it to subcutaneous, which is a smaller needle and goes into the fat around my stomach. Switching it to a smaller needle made me it a lot easier for me to do the shots myself.

One thing I would say at this stage is to be patient. I know you have probably waited a long time to get hormones and are really excited for the changes. At first it may seem like it is taking forever to notice any differences but don’t worry - it will come. The first thing I noticed was that my voice began to drop after just a month on testosterone. There were emotional changes and also my libido went crazy high (I had been told that would happen, but I didn’t expect the effect to be as strong as it was). Between six months to a year I noticed fat redistribution and increased muscle mass. These changes usually take longer and is hard to notice unless you have comparison pictures because it’s a slow process. Most notably my shoulders got broader, my neck thickened, and the fat around my hips lessened. Also, at some point within the first six months you should see your period go away. It depends on the person and your hormone dose as to how soon that will happen, but for me it was five months in. It took over a year for me to be able to grow any facial hair, and mine is still really light and patchy.

Those were some of my experiences. If you have any more questions or would just like to talk you can always feel free to post on my wall. Congratulations on starting testosterone! This is a huge step and I wish you all the best on your journey.