1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting HRT before socially transitioning?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Hanyauku, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Hanyauku

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm curious if anyone here has started HRT or T before living as their target gender full time? For some back story, I'm out to my sister, but no one else. When I start my new job in a couple of weeks, I will be lucky enough to have great health insurance, and I plan on beginning to see a gender therapist. I've done some research, found a few people who I'm interested in reaching out to, and I'm hoping one of them can add me as a patient. I mainly want to see a therapist to get a letter of approval for HRT. I live in a large metropolitan area, so I'm not that worried about having access to hormones.

The thing is, I don't want to go full time yet. It's not that I'm not confident in my trans identity, I really do feel strongly that I am a trans woman. But I look so male right now, especially with my hair. I hate my hair. I've been growing it out for five months, and right now I'm at the Justin Bieber stage. I'm 23, and I'm worried that going through the final stages of puberty will make it much more difficult for me to pass. I have a pretty youthful face, enough so that most people pin me as 18 or 19, and I get eyed suspiciously when buying liquor with an ID. But I'm scared that with each month that goes by, I will start looking more and more male. And it's causing me a lot of stress and dysphoria. I think that if I get on HRT soon, I will still be able to pass pretty well.

I wouldn't wait that long after getting on HRT to go full time, just enough to grow my hair out a little more and settle into my job. And I'm planning on living as a girl outside of work almost full time when Summer starts. I just didn't know if it's weird not to be absolutely full time before doing any sort of medical transition.

looking for me likes this.
  2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok so a rough timeline on my transition. two years ago i accepted that i can transition and started building my mental acceptance, personal self image. one year ago i started HRT, there has been some changes but not drastically because im on patches (read slow path) i start my social transition in like 6 weeks. so it is possible, some dont do it that way but this is what felt right to me.

Hanyauku likes this.
  3. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been on T for 10 months now, and not socially transitioned at all. I'm AFAB non-binary, though, and my transition isn't as black and white as the usual binary transition. I wore pants in public for the first time in *years* so that was a step (I normally wear skirts exclusively). But not really a social transition. I may actually get both top and bottom surgery without transitioning socially. I'm out to friends and family, but I may never come out professionally or socially/presentation.

Hanyauku likes this.
  4. Hanyauku

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Do you see a therapist? And if so, did they give you a hard time about going on hormones before socially transitioning? Also, is there a reason you chose to start HRT before socially transitioning? It sounds silly, but I just really don't want to go full time before my hair is where I want it. But I don't want to wait another 6-12 months for it to get there while my body is becoming more male. Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the feedback!

looking for me likes this.
  5. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok a couple of things there. I did/am seeing a therapist, highly recommend. no she didn't give me a hard time and encouraged me to go, the clinic I use has informed consent so really she didn't need to sign off and she's well acquainted with the clinic and my HRT doctor. my path for transition isn't like some, they're all different in some regard, this is the way that felt best for me knowing that I could stop hrt any time I wanted left me with options because im on patches which work slower than other methods, now im going full time in like 5 weeks, oh boy im bald so hair can be worked with, many women have shorter hair, even sort of masculine cuts and still look like feminine women, think pixi cuts. I do recommend seeing a therapist and learning all you can about HRT the effects, positive and negative. as well as what it will and wont do.