1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Started my new job, now I want to quit

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MrSecret, Dec 1, 2015.

1. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So if some of you saw my thread a few weeks back, I applied for my first job ever at my local grocery store. Got the job, and started training on Saturday. They put me in produce (Though I would have preferred Center Store) and so far, I'm not really liking it. The only reason I applied was for the experience not the money, so quitting isn't too hard of a decision when it comes to cash. I've only been there three times, and I'm gonna try and stick it out until the end of December, but I really dread having to go to work. Not only that, but I'm working six hours a week when I thought I would only be working four.

The manager is nice, but since she's so busy I pretty much was left on my own after the first day. It isn't so hard, I'm okay with stocking bananas, apples, potatoes etc, but she commented on the fact I need to do it faster and be quicker, which is true because I purposely go slower to stall out my work time. Which is kinda selfish, it's just that I never realized how much I valued my unemployed freedom and can't STAND manual labor.

No one has really been a tutor for me, and I always feel like they think I'm super slow whenever I ask questions. I thought I was gonna have like a mentor stuck to me like glue for my first few weeks, so getting put right into it after a day of training is overwhelming. It's still considered training, but no one is actually really helping me.

I didn't want to work Front Store because I'm super bad at math and the cash register intimidated the hell out of me, but it looks so much easier, especially if you're just bagging or collecting carts.

I really don't want to burn bridges and make things awkward, but so far I've been miserable. Like I said I'm gonna try and stick it out until the end of December, but even now I might just quit within the next few weeks.

Any advice?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, they can't expect a lot out of you if you've only worked for a total of less than 20 hours, and then without training. If they are concerned with your performance they should mentor you a little better.

Six hours a week is like nothing though. The time will come really soon when you will need to work that several times over. If you work only one day a week, it's worth sticking it out for awhile, especially because new companies you apply to get leery when they see you quit a previous job after so little time. Employment costs money and they don't want to waste it on somebody who's likely to bolt.

That said though, if you stay for awhile and are still unhappy, don't feel forced to stay. Some jobs suck more than others and it's hardly possible to judge one by another. :slight_smile:

#2 Argentwing, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  3. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would advise giving it some time and trying to stick it out. Some jobs take some getting used to. And as for someone being around you constantly while training that doesn't really happen at least not in any job that I've ever been hired for. At least if. You work there for a few months it will give you some extra cash for whatever you may want or need and as you stated experience.

4. oliolioli

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I really encourage you to stick it out for at least a month! It's hard when you're doing the same task over and over again, but 6 hours/week isn't too much, and it will definitely be good to have some experience.

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you are feeling so miserable, you hate what you do and you don't really need the money, why don't you quit?

There are other jobs and other ways to get experience. I don't know where 'Dreamland' is, but over here you can get experience through volunteer jobs, or by doing freelance jobs.

It's not a good idea doing a job you hate just to get experience. You risk to get stuck in jobs you hate for the rest of your life... 'Cause after all a big factor to hire you is precisely your experience! So you risk to play the same role over and over again...

I'd look for something else, and when I get a solid, nice enough offer, I'd quit.

6. Zombi3

Its always hard and scary at first, but after a while you will get used to it.

7. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's way easier to get a better job if you already have a job. Silly but true. Stick it out while you look for a better job. Your manager will understand if your going to something with higher pay or that you have a better aptitude for. While your waiting try to find at least one thing no matter how small that you like about your current job. A funny customer, coworker, the way strawberrys smell. Make game out of as much as you can. Sometimes life lands us in crappy places, part of working a bad job is learning how to endure while you have to. Try to find fruit that looks like Jesus or something.

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    6 hours a week? Tough it out for a bit. Most people work more than that in a day...

#8 Austin, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  9. AlexLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its only your first few days kid. If you don't get work experience now, you'll never get a good job of any kind in the future. you will have to work eventually in your life and work for a living, when money DOSE matter. Belive it or not, but 'burning bridges' now, can ruin your future. You don't want to go apply for a job you really want, and have to tell them they can't contact any of your past employers because you quit on bad terms.

This is the time you get knowledge and experience. My grocery manager is only 23. 23! and he is in a job he likes, in power and making ALOT of money and all by sticking with it and doing his very best at whatever he did.
    Working sucks! working manual labor sucks more. However, its simply a stepping stone for a much better and brighter future.

Besides; how good can you feel about yourself if you quiet after only a few days of work? You want to feel accomplished? You want to feel proud and good about yourself? Do your best! Give it a shot! You do your best and show you can do a job and do it well, show them that you are worth it, and they will make you feel wanted and they will INVEST time into you. Train you proper and give you the expierance you need and want.

In a grocery store, nobody gets trained that well. I'm an assistant manager and I was never trained for my position, instead thrown into everything and left to my own devices. BUt I traveled up the ranks, because I showed them I could handle it, that I was strong and could take what ever they threw at me.
    I guarantee if you do the same, that you'll fly through the ranks as well.
    Keep at it! Give it a try! Put some effort into it and you'll do great!
    After all; you only out what you put it.

10. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's up to you but personally I think you shouldn't quit. 6 hours a week really is nothing. As someone else already said most people work more than that in a day. . Quitting after a week or two really looks horrible to employers. Who will definitely be hesitant to hire yours they'd be worried you would just leave again, especially because it costs money for companies to hire new employees

That's being said, if you do decide to quit, at least give two weeks notice. It's not only common courtesy for both the management and other employees, but it'll also effect what your former employee will say about you when you apply for a new job

11. Hexagon

Honestly, that sounds a fair bit better than my last job. Insanely boring, I'm sure, but it isn't very many hours a week, and my last job gave me some pretty bad neck pain very consistently. I say stick it out, value the extra bit of money it brings in, and that way when the time comes that you actually need a job, you'll be in a much better position to get one.

12. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If anyone saw my other thread, I have decided to quit. I'll probably still work for a few days until they can sort it out, but I firmly believe it's in my best interests. Yes, quitting after one week is pretty bad looking and yes, six hours isn't so bad. But at summer camp, I stayed for seven weeks and broke down in tears at least once a week due to stress or someone there conflicting with me. At summer camp, I could literally just walk off for a bit or listen to my music in the classroom. But at a job, I can't do any of that.

I'm like a balloon. I can bottle up my emotions very well and I barely cry or get angry at all. But eventually the balloon pops and I just breakdown in either an angry rampage or river of tears. And having that happen at work would be devastating.

I sent the email, and she isn't back for another week so I'm not gonna hear from her until then (Internally dies inside) I mean, I guess I could talk to my manager but I feel like that would be waaay too awkward.

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Just read through your other thread, and I wondered have you asked if there is a chance that you could take on another position that you might enjoy a bit more or is something more along the lines that you feel comfortable doing?

14. Zombi3

Yeah 6 hours a week is nothing, some people do 15 hours a day.

15. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I don't know, possibly front store (Cashier, bagger, getting carts) but at the same time I really don't want to have to go through a whole bunch of training again with the possibility of me not liking it either.

16. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There a'int no good chain gangs. Most people don't like their jobs very much. If they did, they wouldn't have to pay people to show up and do them.

That said, I don't know how old you are. I assume since you're only working 6 hours a week you're pretty young and if so, I wouldn't get to carried away with worrying about having a job. I wish I had focused more on my schoolwork and a lot less on having a job when I was in school.

Buck it up and talk to your manager. You're going to have to learn to deal with your employers in a professional manner or you are gonna have a real hard time staying employed anywhere. If you decide to quit fine, but how you quit matters and as others have said, they might be able to help you out with more training or another position that suits you better.

If your manager is "nice," I'd recommend trying to stick it out, because pretty much any kind of job you get as a first job is going to suck in some way and working for people you like is a heck of a lot better than getting stuck with a boss you can't stand.

I quit my first job after a month because the woman that owned the store was a horrid human being (and doing a lot of illegal and unsanitary things in a food service business). My second job was no better in terms of the actual job, but the people I worked with were a huge improvement and I stayed there for 3 years and am still friends with some of my co-workers 20+ years later. My only real regret is that I got carried away and started working 40 hours a week and then staying out all night after work, which resulted in me falling asleep at school :>

So anyway, like I said, if you're just a kid and you don't really need to work, then I wouldn't stress over it, but be professional in how you deal with it. If you're older and you really need to get going in the workforce, then you'd best keep that job while you look for another one if it doesn't work out, because having "employment gaps" makes it a lot harder to get hired.

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would have asked for a transfer to the front area. I was a bagger for my first job which could get difficult in getting the carts and re-stocking shelves, but I liked to interact with the customers most of the time. There was 1 day of training for my job, and I think it was more like half a day. Here's how you unload the bottle return, here's how you categorize and bag groceries. The carts get lined up outside the store at the end of the night. I got introduced to some employees and then learned the aisles. After that, it was off to work.

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, I think a lot of getting used to having a job is simply getting used to having a job. Almost every job you get is going to have problems and things you don't like about it, and, to be completely honest, you sound pretty self-centered and like you're treating the situation as though the employer owes you.

Well.. the truth is, the employer really doesn't owe you much of anything. And if you do quit, unless you don't have any need to work anywhere, ever, you're going to have to repeat the same process somewhere else. Jobs that one enjoys and looks forward to, particularly entry-level jobs, are pretty rare. So the question is, are you going to stick it out for 6 months or so here... or quit and restart, and have a different-but-similar set of issues.

So what it really boils down to is... are you going to stick it out now, or are you going to stick it out at the next job, or are you going to have a succession of jobs where you work a month or two and then quit?

I can tell you from a hiring manager's perspective, I generally won't consider someone who is a job-hopper, and someone who I get the sense has an attitude of entitlement or expectation that the job meet their needs isn't going to get very far with me either. At a certain point, you're going to need to develop a different attitude about working, or it's going to be difficult for you to get and keep a job.

From what you describe, this job sounds like a pretty decent position compared to a lot of entry-level jobs, and, quite honestly, I'd suggest staying with it, actually working at the pace expected of you rather than selfishly doing as little as possible, and use this as an opportunity to gain some experience and then, perhaps, move to another position you enjoy more after you've got some experience and have proven yourself.

19. MrSecret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is exactly why I want to quit. I feel like I went in expecting it to be easy, and TBH I thought I would be out in center store, not produce. I don't want to be rude to everyone there just because I don't find the job fun, but that's just the way I am. If I'm not comfortable I shut down, and in a work situation where I can't go off and listen to music by myself I will go insane. I just feel like it would be better if I save them the trouble of me potentially exploding at work if I quit now. I'm an introvert, large crowds and lots of noise for an extended amount of time pretty much makes me a ticking time bomb of boredom.

20. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the future, it would probably be best to ask about the expectations during the hiring process. There might not be much of a hiring process for a grocery store, but if you could've learned before being hired that you may be expected to work in produce, you might be in a different position than you are in now. Perhaps, if you had requested that you be hired only if they agree to put you in the store center, they might not have asked you to work produce (although they also may not have hired you).

Employment is a trade. You're giving them your time and labor in exchange for money. Unless you make it clear up front that one of the conditions of the trade is that you only work in a particular department/position, it's generally assumed that such a condition is not part of the trade.

It takes time and money to hire someone. Because of this, for most jobs it's considered rude to quit after less than a year, although it may be less (i.e., 6 months perhaps) for a job in the service industry. I agree with others that it may be best to find a way to make it through ~6 months or so. Otherwise, many potential future employers would see such a short job as a red flag.

Very few people find their job fun, and the few that do are lucky. Most people would be happy doing jobs that they don't dislike doing so long as it pays enough. It's very likely that you'll similarly dislike any and all future jobs for various reasons, so you might as well get use to doing work you don't like. After all, 6 hours per week is very little. The more you train yourself to put up with it, the easier it will probably be in the future.

#20 BobObob, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015