1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star wars prequels

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by gibson234, Jul 30, 2014.

1. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally prefer the star wars prequels to the originals. They were more intelligent. It wasn't just good vs evil but more interesting with the republic being flawed and there being politics to it. And the bad guys in the films change half way though from the separatists to the republic itself. It wasn't as predictable with the mystery on how the republic turned into the empire oppose to knowing that the rebels would eventually beat the empire in a big battle at the end of the movie. The characters if not played as well I think are more developed. They had flaws while the old character were either good or evil (except for Han Solo) this made the prequel characters more interesting. The action scenes were more epic.

The prequels were less silly than the originals. They completely defeat the empire by destroying the Death Star (which they had already done) and the emperor in one system. What about the rest of the empire? Did they just give up? Also I enjoyed the transformation on Anakin in the prequels if not the annoying romance. I still liked the originals just don't understand the hate the prequels get.

What do you guys think?

2. Gwendolyn

If you've read the expanded universe novels, they explain that they hadn't actually won yet. If anything, far from it. But it was still a rather large victory in the movies having finally beaten the emperor.

(the emperor in one system? He's the only emperor in the empire.)

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're out of your mind is what I think :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The prequels were flashy and set in a very turbulent time, but IMO they were not so good, and compared to the originals had only a minuscule fraction of their charm.

Echoing the words of Gwendolyn, the finale of ROTJ was not the end of the war by a long shot, despite the fabulous Ewok party XD. And while the prequels did a decent job of showing the slide into tyranny and how impressive Palpatine's master plan was (except Anakin's moment of transformation was total bantha poodoo), they were emotionally bankrupt. The originals followed a deliberate literary design for their storytelling, which is why they are timeless. The new ones just sort of went every which way. Their breathtaking visual style is all that saves them from total mediocrity.

#3 Argentwing, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Having grown up with Episodes IV-VI, that is the only way I saw Yoda. I know he was a wise figure, and a very powerful Jedi, but the prequels only made me miss, his pretending childishness and his joking wisdom.

I always laugh when Yoda tells R2-D2, "Mine, mine!".

5. Tetra

The original trilogy holds more nostalgia factors for me, as I think it does for a lot of people. If I-VI were standing alone, and I had to rate them without having any previous attachment, I'd probably like I-III a lot more than I do.

Like I said, I'm not going to deny that it's solely for nostalgia purposes that I enjoy IV-VI so much better. It gives me this weird(but good) feeling in my stomach that I-III just can't seem to capture. The prequel trilogy is a lot deeper, and has a lot more depth; however when put up against the success of the originals, it's really hard to live up to those standards.

6. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry I meant they beat the empire in one system. It was a poorly structure sentence lol

7. gaynerd64

The original trilogy isn't nostalgic to me (I didn't grow up in that time period) but I still find them better then Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones. However I feel that Revenge Of The Sith was the best film because of the level of complexity it presented.

8. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a huge Star Wars fan...

The originals are better films. And they follow an established storytelling arch with some ancient philosophical themes thrown in for good measure (Monomyth etc).

But I do actually prefer the Prequels, because I prefer the deeper complexity of both story and characters. Some of the acting in the prequels is truly awful, though. But then again, that's partly because of the appallingly written lines that they had to deliver...

9. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I prefer tho original films, I grew up with them and I think there are such a fantastic story, it's like an epic tale. The prequels haven't a heart, They have a great plot but they don't touch me.

10. BornAnew

YES FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE LIKES THE PREQUELS :grin: ....a long time have I waited for this moment!

The Prequels are nostalgic for me as they were my childhood. In fact I only saw the original trilogy after seeing episodes 1 & 2. I love the light saber battles & how much more colourful the prequels are.

Overall though I love all the films! My favs would be Episode III & Episode VI . I love how both of them wrap up their respective trilogies with grace!

11. AlexTheGrey

I like the choreography work they did for Episode I. That to me was my idea of how a lightsaber battle should be filmed. Then they kept trying to top themselves in II and III and it kinda fell flat for me.

I am not a huge fan of the prequels, beyond that. There were good ideas there, but George really needed to let someone else do the screenplay based on those ideas. I don't hate them, but it felt like there was a huge missed opportunity to make something as iconic as the originals.

12. BornAnew

Emperor vs Yoda was the best fight for me.

Perfect combination of tension, music, symbolism (the senate chairs being thrown symbolising the end of democracy) & choreography.

13. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

There's redeeming aspects of the prequels but from a storytelling standpoint they fall flat pretty hard, especially the first 1. I see them as kind of a chain reaction of things that went wrong. First of all the characters were boring and alot of them served no purpose except to have a light saber fight at the end. When the characters are bad and you don't really care what happens to them, the romance and drama aspects don't work either. When those dont work and you still don't care about the characters then the Conflict (which should be most important part of the plot) fails as well. At that point you're left without anyone or anything to care about and the movie itself fails. I think the prequels are all perfect examples of this.

#13 kageshiro, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

There were three things I really enjoyed in the prequels.

The lightsaber battles were a lot better. But this is due to the technology. I assume that Episodes IV-VI would have had better duels, if the technology was around then.

Seeing Yoda actually fight, was incredible. I still miss his joking mannerisms, which he had in The Empire Strikes Back, but to see him actually in action, I'm down with that.

The scene where Anakin is marching during the Great Jedi Purge. Very well done, and a powerful moment.

15. BornAnew

[​IMG]

Yousa call mesa boaring?

couldn't resist soz!

16. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Honestly I think it could be argued that he was the best character in the phantom menace. He was the only one with an arc...

17. BornAnew

I have waited all my life to see a compliment for Jar Jar...thank you for fulfilling your destiny and completing my lifes purpose :slight_smile:

18. Mith

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Kageshiro, Sorry, I can't understand what do you mean:icon_redf I know what arc means but I can't understand the way you use it...
    I deny the existence of Jar Jar Binks asd

#18 Mith, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's sad, but kageshiro has a point. Darth Maul, as cool-looking as he was, simply existed to give us a reason to endure a fairly dull movie.

20. BornAnew

Goood embrace your anger and become one with the jar jar side of the force!

:starwars: