1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staff Spotlight: Hawk

Discussion in 'EC Monthly Spotlight: October 2020' started by Hawk, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Hawk

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hello EC, I have been a member on Empty Closets since 2015 when I had Googled a question that EC already had responses to. I grew up, and currently live in the country, a 10 minute drive from the nearest town in Northern Alberta. I currently live with my parents, and I have one older brother who is married and lives 6 hours away. The closest neighbour is about half a mile away, and I also reside on the same land location as my paternal great-grandparents. I never had any interaction regarding LGBT people growing up, and the only mentions of anything LGBT were people using "gay" as an insult.

Growing up in a small town I was always forced to conform to the norms of gender, though I had been bullied by other classmates and schoolmates that I was always more "masculine" than my peers. I tried conforming and fitting in in grade school, and more so in high school, but something was still "off". When I was about 7-8 years old, I had conflicts whether the other girls had the same thoughts I did regarding gender, and if they had accepted the fact that they were female and there was nothing they could do about it. Thinking these thoughts were normal, I tried to accept my assigned gender at birth and that they would go away with time. Surprise surprise, they never. It wasn't until I was 19 that I had heard the term transgender that something had clicked. I began searching the internet for transgender people and their stories and how they realized they were also transgender. It wasn't until I was 21, when I had found EC and began seeking more information and other people's experiences and advice.

In 2016, I had been accepted to University to take Theatre Production, which was so fun and had a great time and made many good friends. However, there isn't enough work in the industry to make a career out of it. Feeling discouraged, I began my hunt for what I really wanted to do, and remembered that I had applied to take the Investigative program to go into Animal Control (Bylaw) in 2014. Unfortunately, that program at that University was extremely competitive and very difficult to get into. This year, I began hunting for other Colleges and Universities where I could take this program and found one College that I applied to and got accepted! However, with COVID, everything is online which works out very well for me living rurally.

Once finished University in Theatre Production in 2018, I had come out to a few of my University classmates and friends, and were very accepting and supportive of the news. Unfortunately I don't see them as much as I'd like to as we all come from different parts of the province. A few months ago in 2020, I had also come out to my current instructors before classes started for this term, and all have been very accepting as well.

Other facts about me:
    • A hobby of mine is archery, and own a compound bow that I got into around 2014
    • I have two dogs and two cats.
    • I like to go fishing and camping.
    • I've started playing the piano at age 5 and have been playing for about 6-7 years. Found my great-uncle's fiddle in my grandpa's house that my music teacher restringed and started to play that at age 11 that I've been playing for about 6 years. Finally wanted to learn guitar just recently.

Feel free to ask me any questions!

#1 Hawk, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2020
  2. HM03

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Glad to hear your school friends took your coming out well! You had mentioned that growing up there was only negative mentions of LGBT people, would you say it has gotten better over the years at all? Or is significantly better in the bigger cities (I've heard Alberta is fairly conservative in general)?

When I was younger my brother and I found decent bows at the curb on garbage day and I still think they are super cool! What made you decide on the compound bow vs the other types? Do you hunt or go to shooting ranges (or practice on targets at in your yard?)

3. Hawk

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Overall in my town I think it is getting a little better, though I do think a lot of it was the age and maturity as well. It's still not perfect, but I did see someone is flying a Pansexual flag from their house. Not sure how many people would even recognize it, but it's nice to see whenever I drive by.

In my town, I have seen progress in regards to acceptance, and I have had people subtly come up to me regarding LGBT topics. Alberta's definitely mostly Conservative, though it does depend on the city as well, I find Edmonton is a lot more of a Liberal city than Calgary or Fort McMurray.

I first got into archery when I was in Grade 9 when we were given the "traditional" bows during one of our gym classes, and I loved it. I don't know what made me want to pursue archery again, but once graduated I did a bit of research regarding the different types of bows and thought the compound bow was something I wanted try.

The bow I ended up getting (Diamond Archery: Infinite Edge) is one that's good for both beginners and intermediate, which is something I wanted so I didn't have to buy any additional bows once I outgrew it. I've never hunted an animal with it, though I would like to go to an actual shooting range. Right now I've been shooting at the small target I have, or I try taking aim at the hay bales in the field. Though, I've lost a couple arrows by aiming too low and them getting lost in the grass.

Also, fun fact: When getting fit for my bow, since I'm right-handed I thought I'd need a right-handed bow. Though, since I'm left-eye dominant, I was fitted for a left-handed bow.

[​IMG]
    (2015)

4. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Hawk! Congrats for getting accepted in College to study this new degree! Could you explain in what consist the studies you're taking at the moment? Thank you. :slight_smile:

Also, I'm so glad the people you came out to were so accepting. ^^

5. Hawk

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi BlueLion, thank you. I'm currently enrolled in the Justice Program, and the courses I'm taking this semester are Psychology, Sociology, Justice, English, and Communications. The topics involved in the Justice program are quite heavy as they consist of police powers, inclusiveness and racism, and the impact of the criminal justice system and how we can improve upon it to name a few.

Hope that answers your question. If not, I'd be more than happy to elaborate more.

6. Old Dog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wish you well in all things....

7. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you ever get lonely? Like where I'm at resources must be limited where you are. How do you combat down times when the internet dose not seem to be enough?

Dean

8. Hawk

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Absolutely. Typically every other weekend I used to head to the city (pre-covid), where no one knows me or my past and I could be myself and pass as any other guy. I'll still take off to the city every once-and-awhile, though not as often as I used to, and now we have to take extra precautions.

In regards to loneliness and living rurally, I have my parents which helps with the loneliness. Like yourself, there's nothing in regard to LGBT supports around here. Though, with covid, I have found a couple online meetings for LGBT or gender diverse people in the city (haven't been able to make a time to attend one yet) and hopefully they'll continue online meetings once the pandemic is over. I've also been keeping busy with the workload at the college which keeps my mind busy as well.

9. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Hawk! Thank you! It sounds really interesting. I hope everything goes well. :slight_smile:

10. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hawk! I didn’t know you played! Marvelous! Of you need any help with anything feel free to send me a message!

11. Hawk

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey! Will do! :slight_smile:

12. Hawk

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks, Old Dog. :slight_smile:

Thanks, BlueLion. :slight_smile:

#12 Hawk, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  13. musicteach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had posted in another thread talking about Eastern music and quarter tones. Steering instruments have the easiest time utilizing quarter tones (which is why so much music that is translated is written for string orchestra instead of band). Wind instruments can do it ok, but it takes a lot of embouchure control to do so. Percussion instruments can of the tuning is variable such as on timpani but not on something like a xylophone.