1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sperm lifespan in dry areas

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by zumbo, Aug 25, 2007.

1. zumbo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How long do sperms survive after being ejaculated to dry areas such as bed sheets or human skin?

I know that I'm illogical but I just feel so paranoid that I may impregnate a mature female once she touches anything I've ejaculated onto just like when our maid washes my undies and so on. Of course, :dry: I hate to be related to females in any sexual way.

2. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

im pretty sure that sperm is dead when it dries.
    i cant be entirely sure.
    im thinking jayhew will have an answer for this.
    i love that guy lol

3. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am pretty sure the maid would have to be doing something pretty "fancy" with your underwear or bed sheets to get pregnant. Sperm swim, not scoot. I think you are pretty safe.

Jayhew will certainly have a more educated answer, but these are my thoughts.

4. zumbo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, it's possible for a female to stimulate herself after touching something that I've ejaculated on to and I want to help myself clear out this possibility.

It's just that I compulsively repeatedly wash my hands and some other parts of my body until I've washed my genitals and changed my undies. I get paranoid that semen drops on the floor can impregnate a female even though I've already cleaned them. I even fear that the shorts and shirt that I wear after ejaculating can also make a female pregnant once she has contact with them. Sometimes, it takes me about 15-20 minutes to get settled and this is bugging me so much.

I want to get educated on this but I'm awkward to ask my folks here.

5. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    some times my mum has washed my sheets not long after i have masturbated but if its washing day i try not to do it but some times i do, i try to dry up the sperm but can it be un healthy if she touches the wet sperm??? also if another guys sperm goes over your skin and is there for ages can this be a danger???

6. Nerdtendo

Wait a second, let's focus on the importent part. you have a maid?!

Seriously, though, if it's dry, the Sperm will Die. No need to worry about becomeing your own grandpa. However, if it where in a Pool, that would be diffrent. A young lass became pregnent when she was swimming once. she had no contact with any male...er...member. But that was becuse the sperm was in water. you dont need to worry about the Landry sex.

(seriously, a Maid?!)

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A SWIMMING pool? A CHLORINATED swimming pool? I HIGHLY doubt sperm would survive more than a few seconds in that kind of environment. More than likely the woman didn't want to admit that she had had sex or who she had had it with.

As for sperm viability outside the body? Well I'm no expert but I think there'd be WAAAAAY more unwanted pregnancies if they survived very long when exposed to air and regular temperatures. I mean if you think of what is done to sperm to keep it "fresh," it gets frozen! Like way way frozen. So the likelihood they would freeze it to keep it viable if they didn't need to? Quite low. So by deduction, they must be pretty fragile.

8. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Temperature is far more important than anything else. Once outside the body, the temperature of the sperm will drop rather quickly and the lower it goes the less viable they become. That would mean even if things are fairly damp, the chances of sperm surviving to do any mischief is near zero.

In order for impregnation to take place, many factors have to be near perfect for it to happen. Temperature, moisture, basic environment (the vaginal area is acidic. Most of the ejaculate from a male is material to provide energy as well as a basic environment for the sperm so it can live long enough to penetrate the cervix mucosa and enter the uterus) then is the viability of the sperm itself. The process of getting someone pregnant is quite involved, so the chances of something like that happening in the case here can pretty much be counted as zero.

As for sperm on the skin, again temperature will be a factor. Various areas of the body are at different temperatures, but also on the skin is drying effect. There may be greater chances here, but unlikely, again because of what was stated above. As for being on the skin for a long time, no problem other than itching because of the basic nature of the ejaculate and the skin likes to be in the acid range.

With frozen sperm, it is dipped in liquid nitrogen, so it is basically instantaneous and thus can remain viable. Other than that, it is pretty darn fragile as Joey notes above.

And the swimming pool thing, myth. Does not happen. The environment of the water is totally harsh and unsupportive of sperm life.

Hope this helps.

9. Tom

Tom Guest

sperm takes 18 hours to die outside the body in damp condition as this is when its energy reserves run out so it cant function any longer, but if it dries out then there is no or little water in the sperm, this is need for a variety of key functions tht let the sperm survive so will die quicker

10. Tom

Tom Guest

jayhew shud have more info. and deatils thn me, thts if my info is even correct, i have found tht me teachers do lie 2 us at times

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The 18 hours figure is probably the maximum if all the conditions (as JayHew outlined) are correct. That would have to be laboratory conditions or appropriate storage specifically for maintaining it, when used for artificial insemination or whatever.

On sheets and clothes etc is far from the ideal conditions.

Parents etc routinely handle and wash their teenage son's clothing and bedding, throw away soiled tissues from the bin etc, and do not become pregnant as a result.

Don't worry about it - it won't happen!

12. Kibuki kid

What about in water, as in fresh water?

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

JeyHew said:

So if it could survive in water it would have to be the right temperature. It's fairly unlikely that any water would remain at about body temperature for any length of time unless it was continuously gently heated.

JayHew also said:

Water is ph neutral (neither acidic or alkaline) so it wouldn't be that suitable for that reason too.

So from JayHew's description of the ideal environment, I don't think it sperm would survive for long in water.

14. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually water in nature is very much not pH neutral... I believe it's generally somewhat acidic but would depend on where the water was. Whatever the case, it is highly unlikely it would be the right pH for the survival of sperm.