1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spanish in the forum

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by goratrix, May 19, 2005.

1. goratrix

Well, this isn't actually my idea, it's popboy's, so he should take the credit.

Anyway, the idea is to create a section of the forum for spanish-speakers. So that anyone that needs support, and doesn't speak english can have a place so great as EC.

Anyway, any insights?

2. ok455

they should just have a diffrent language fourm for all diffrent languages not just spanish.

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Parlez-vous franglais?

I can't speak Spanish, just French, but Spanish seems reasonable.

Maybe we could have a separate forum for the UK and Canadian people who know how to spell, too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Micah

The thing is, there are more languages than just english and spanish. If you created a spanish section/forum then you'd be likely to follow with other languages. The only problem is finding mods who can actually speak the language :wink:

5. goratrix

Ok, my sugestion actually implies that I can speak spanish. I can't on the other hand, speak french (although I could probably try.... Non, je ne parelz pas français. Anyway, It was just a thought... I thought I should share it and see what the comunity, mods and admins think about this.

6. Aaron

Aaron Guest

That made me laugh out loud. :lol:

But anyway, I don't think that a seperate language forum is warranted, because, as said, it would be a problem to find mods that spoke all those languages.

Si nous avons voulu, nous pourrions parler francais, et puis les autres qui peuvent comprendre la langue peuvent nous repondre.

Was that right, Joey? (!) (MON FRANCAIS, C'EST UN PEU RUSTY)

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agee with Dave's points.

1. If we add Spanish we will then be expected to add other languages. Where will it end?

2. Who is going to moderate this lot? We would need a moderator for each language who can also speak/write in English.

So I don't think there is any future in that suggestion. Sorry.

Paul.

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think your tense is a bit off, because what you've said is that if we had wanted to, we could have spoken French, and then the others who can understand it can reply to us.

But that's pretty good otherwise.

9. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it ends at Estonian, obviously. The slipperly slope doesn't apply here... the suggestion was surely on for major languages like Spanish, French, etc.

That's the real problem right there.

10. popboy

Ha, ha... I WILL take the credit provided you tell my whole idea. I suggested you should be the moderator! Why did you skip that, you sleepless bastard! :grin:
    I was just brainstorming and it was late at night (the only time of the day when I let my ideas flow). Anyway the idea itself is not that crazy, and I'm not even being original. I'm a Roxette fan, and our 'community' (yeah, we're kind of freak people) has there own forums. As we are spread all over the world (like insects! :wink: ), our main forum uses English as its main language, and then there are smaller forums in german, italian, spanish, portuguese and swedish (because Roxette are swedish, you know). The key is that the Roxette forum has over 700 members, so I guess it's probably to soon to suggest other language forums here. And even if our forum grows that much, most members will be native English speakers (or people who love using it as second language like me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ). So I think creating forums by language would be more a 'strategic' decision than a reply to popular demand.

11. chaos|blue

What about language packs that can uploaded to forums and when someone registers they can choose which one they want or if a memeber wants to view the forum is a different language they can select which one they want to use from a drop down menu like IPB boards do.

Here's a link where the Admin can download different language packs. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99151

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The techies may be able to do that OK, if enough people think it's worth doing. We'd still need people to post in English though, otherwise it could get very confusing.