1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sore throat or Strep?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Alex94, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

My throat has been quite sore the past few days, and I noticed tonight that above the uvula is a little red, my throat basically looks like this:

[​IMG]

their appears to be some bumps in the back of my throat as well, they are not white though...Sense I have never had strep I don't know what it looks like....My tonsils are always swollen though, one is more than the other, that is normal for me....neither are swollen to bad.....I feel dumb for asking y'all, but I don't like doctors...

2. Gen

Gen

Its either not, or too early to tell. Though that doesnt mean that it couldnt be something else too.

Another thing to remember is that the throat is one of the most closely tied areas with the immune system and will most likely swell to some extent when the body is fighting off any type of threat regardless of its connection to the throat. If you really dont want to see a doctor than at least do what is usually for any other cold/sickness and monitor if it begins to get worse. If it does start to get worse than you might not have a choice.

3. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Okay, thank you. :slight_smile:

4. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Sen. It's either too early, or you don't have Strep. Strep will cause white splotches in the throat, like this.

[​IMG]

*image found via google

5. Zaio

Zaio Guest

^Exactly as stated above.

In addition, you would have a fever and often an intensely sore throat accompanying it. The white spots are the dead give away though. Often you'll find that they'll leak pus too.

If you do have strep then get your hands on some antibiotics ASAP, while it is very rare, strep throat can cause some life-threatening illnesses if left untreated.

All the best.

6. KaraBulut

Strep throat is diagnosed by taking a throat swab- it's not something that can be diagnosed solely based upon appearance since there are several infections that can cause throat inflammation.

The general rule is that if you have a sore throat with redness and swelling for several days and you can't attribute it to a cold or the flu, then you should have your doctor take a look to determine if it's allergies, a viral infection or whether it's a bacterial infection that requires antibiotics.

7. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

Okay thank you everyone, I am actually feeling a bit better today, throats not as sore. I am going to keep an eye on it though.
    - P.S To all the Americans out their: Happy Thanksgiving! :grin: