1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sore Throat + Coughing + Blocked ears

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Swamp56, May 7, 2010.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

This began 2 days ago, and seems to only be getting worse. I have uncontrollable coughing constantly as well as a very inflamed throat that is in excruciating pain. My ears feel as if they're blocked, and my nose has been somewhat clogged as well.

Cough drops work well, but I can not take Robitussin (the only other cough suppressant I have) since I take Lexapro (20mg q.d.).

I'm trying to figure out if this is a sinus infection, cold, or some other sickness. All I know is that it's making me miserable. I haven't been able to take my temperature since I don't have a thermometer in my dorm.

#1 Swamp56, May 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2010
  2. Gumtree

Cold/Flu in definitley your best bet.

I doubt sinus infection, that's something that generally occurs as part of another sickness when you don't look after yourself.

If it doesn't begin getting better after another 5-6 days, then visit a doc.

Until then, sleep, eat, drink and wash regularly and you'll be sweet!

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

What confuses me is that I had a cold about 2 weeks ago.

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Strep Throat? A common sore throat?

5. KaraBulut

You have an upper respiratory infection (URI) of some sort. What may have happened is that you had a cold and during the time that your ears and sinuses were inflamed and swollen, you developed a secondary bacterial infection of your ears and sinuses. It also sounds like you may have a little residual bronchitis.

Go to the student health center or a urgent care clinic. They can evaluate whether you need a course of antibiotics to clear it up.

6. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I went and the doctor told me I simply had a cold. He said that the blocked hearing was due to a stuffy nose. They checked me for strept and it came back false.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sounds like allergies.

Everything in the face is connected. Ears, nose, and throat all flow together try some antihistamines

8. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Went to doctor again because the coughing wasn't going away. He said that I now have bronchitis.

9. EM68

It could have started as allergies then the mucus could have become infected thus bronchits. The pollen level has abeen off the charts this year because of all of the rain we had. I have been miserable for the past 2 weeks.

Feel Better!

10. adam88

I second the bad cold/flu. I had a flu a month ago that came with a sore throat that had the same symptoms - as KaraBulut said, I developed an infection alongside it that needed antibiotics (at one point I was ejecting pus out my tear ducts:help:slight_smile: . My right ear still gets clogged once in a while. :frowning2:

11. Mana

I have similar atm, minus the ears... just cough and throat... it's kinda owwy...

12. Damon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hope u feel better :frowning2: