1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Songs that have helped to get through anxiety/depression

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AdityaD, Oct 11, 2018.

1. AdityaD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey!!
    Well, listening to songs can be helpful to get through depression and anxiety. They just give me a sense that I'm not the only person who's here and there are thousands others and has always given me hopes. Listening to songs have helped me a lot to get through depression and anxiety. There are certain songs and artists who've helped me a lot to get through. So, I thought, I'd just share some of them here so that it'd be helpful for others too.

Twenty One Pilots- I'm their huge fan and their songs have literally helped thousands of ppl to get through. Well, most of their songs are very helpful but some of the songs that I'd recommend are: Stressed Out, Ride, Guns For Hands, Car Radio, Oh Ms. Believer, Kitchen Sink, Forest, Holding On To You, Neon Gravestones.

Also, some of the other songs are
    Breathin' and get well soon both by Ariana Grande (yes, they are new), 1-800-273-8255 by Logic, Fireworks by Katy Perry, Lovely by Billie Eilish, Skyscraper by Demi Lovato, I'm a mess by Bebe Rexha, I can't breathe by bea Miller .
    Well these are the songs that I can remember for now.
    Are there any other songs that have helped you to get through. You could share them here so that it could help other ppl too.
    Thanks!

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep Your Head Up by Andy Grammer

3. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

I listen mostly to chants meant for religious or spiritual purposes when I want to relax. This includes mantras, chanting from various traditions, it depends on how I want to feel.

4. AdityaD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey!! Your message reminded me of a song, well it's not really a song as it doesn't have any lyrics but more like a tune or whatever, but yeah it's been scientifically proven to reduce anxiety by 25% or something and trust me it does work. It's Weightless By Marconi Union.
    Also, I was wondering if you listen to Hindu Mantras and chants?

5. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

I haven't listened to that song you mention by Marconi Union.

Yes, I listen to Hindu and Buddhist mantras. Some are more beneficial with helping me get rid of negativity gathered through the day, others help the mind relax, others are for meditation. Which category are you most interested in?

6. AdityaD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not really into a particular category but as a person who's grown up in a Hindu family, I got curious and wanted to ask if you have heard any mantras.

7. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

Ah, I haven't grown up in a Hindu family, but in my twenties I got very interested in Hinduism. I have been listening to Om/Aum chants, chants dedicated to Shiva like the Mahamrityunjaya mantra, several deity sahasranaam mantras, the gayatri and besically everything that helped me get through difficult times. Always begun with Om and Ganesha mantras, then moved to the rest.

I never got fluent in Sanskrit though. I guess that was because it wasn't my path, but it was very beneficial that I came into contact with it, it helped me greatly.

#7 Silveroot, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2018
    beenthrdonetht likes this.
  8. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

I also listened to whatever bhajan, chalisa and aarti I found appropriate.

Are you Hindu?

9. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

I forgot to add I also like listening to artists like Enya when I'm stressed. Neoclassical music works well too.

10. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really have that kind of relationship with music any more. If I listen to songs about feeling down or stressed while I am feeling down or stressed, then it just makes me feel like I'm wallowing in my depression instead of taking action to make myself feel better. And the lyrics are likely to make me think about the things that are upsetting me. Kind of like how songs about unrequited love cause me to feel depressed and think about the person who I couldn't get together with.

So I end up listening to instrumental music without any lyrics, or foreign music so I can't understand what the singer is saying. That provides more of a distraction from my feelings and helps me focus on other things.

11. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Truce by Twenty One Pilots, whenever I have suicidal thoughts I always listen to this. I have been for a long time, maybe two years? Sometimes the thoughts get really bad at night when I'm lying in bed so I'll play it on repeat while I go to sleep. Also Guns For Hands is the reason I stopped cutting myself so it's funny that you mention that.

Other songs that stopped me from killing myself are 1800-273-8255 by Logic ft. Alessia Cara and Khalid, Famous Last Words by My Chemical Romance, Adam's Song by Blink-182, Shake It Out by Florence + The Machine...those are all I can remember off the top of my head but I'm sure there's more. If I think of any more, I'll post those too.

#11 Spot, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  12. zuice

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I like Queen's "I want to break free."