1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Son, 14, told me he is Bi - sorry - long!

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by xxvonniexx, May 24, 2017.

1. xxvonniexx

Hi, My son told me last week that he thought he may be Bi,
    as he had feelings for a boy. He told me that he has spoken with his CPD teacher about it.
    She told him that if the feelings didn't go away for the other boy in a week, then he probably was. I asked him if he had those feelings for a girl ever, as he may not be Bi but gay, and he said sort of but not like this.
    I have no problem with this, as long as he is happy, I am happy. I worry about how he will be seen at school, but his group of friends are a range of LGBT and straight. I did wonder if he was just saying this to 'fit in' with his friends, if you get what I mean. But this last weekend he has asked the other boy if he felt the same. At first he said no, and never would, but the next day he admitted he felt the same. His parents don't know about him, even though he has had a boyfriend before. They are separated from what my son tells me, and there are lots of other issues there, so I think that is why he hasn't said anything to them.
    My son has spoken to me and my sister about how he feels, but doesn't want his dad to know yet. I find it hard not saying anything, but I understand it is my son's choice. I also don't know how accepting he will be. :icon_sad:
    He has asked if his boyfriend can come over in the holidays, and if I would be going out so they could be alone. I am not happy to do this, I don't mind him coming over but not to be alone. Before he told me though I wouldn't have a problem with him being home with a friend, is this hypocritical of me?
    I also wonder if I should see the CPD teacher, as I would like to know what she advised. My son told me that she had told him that Anal Sex does hurt, but to use anal beads to help get used to it...:confused: We've had the safe sex talk, I've told him I don't want him having sex until he is 16, which he agreed they were going to wait. We also spoke about oral sex, I said that it is also 'sex' and I would hope he would wait, and to be safe.
    My sister's advice was to get condoms in anyway, and to practice putting them on because they can be tricky! He has said he has kissed him on the cheek, as his boyfriend had a cold sore, and they have told only a few friends at school, but that it feels weird trying to hold hands at school, as there is a boy who annoys them and he thinks this would make them more of a target. I do worry about how he will be seen.
    Anyway, just after advice, I am tying to think how I would feel if it was a girlfriend and treat him the same, but he's my eldest and I don't have my husband to talk to about this. I can't look back at my own experience at his age as I was brought up in a religious family that didn't believe in sex before marriage, and never had a boyfriend until I was 17, thought we never even held hands, and I didn't meet my now husband until I was 23. I am no longer religious, so thankfully I accept him as I wouldn't be aloud to if I was still religious.
    Sorry this is a long waffle! Thank you in advance!

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey xxvonniexx!

First of all, congratulations on being such a great, supportive mom! The world needs more moms like you!

It seems you are doing a really good job handling the situation (more than the teacher you mentioned... her advice seems weird and not entirely accurate).

About safety, you may want to talk about that with your son. Not that he needs to hide who he is, but that he needs to be aware that not everyone is supportive of LGBT people, and he needs to be careful (just like anyone needs to be careful when walking alone at dangerous places or at night, for example).

Again, he doesn't need to hide himself, but he needs to be aware that, depending on the environment he is in, he will need to be more careful than normal.

You could use this moment to talk about health and sex safety, but it seems you already did, which is great!

About he and a boyfriend being alone at the house, do the same thing you would do if it was a girlfriend. Organize some rules with him about this.

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey xxvonniexx,

Welcome to EC!:slight_smile: And thanks for being such a wonderful and supportive parent of an LGBTQ child!

As Chiroptera said, it sounds like you are doing a great job of handling the situation.

I’m not quite sure why his teacher was advising him (somewhat inaccurately) about anal sex, but it is important that he be informed about STIs/STDs and safe sex. There are resources here on EC that you might want to consider printing for him or directing him to:

Empty Closets - Health

Empty Closets - STDs

In terms of having his boyfriend over at the house and potentially being alone with him, I completely agree with Chiroptera. Treat this the same way you would if he had a girlfriend over at the house.

If you have any specific questions, concerns, or issues that you would like us to address, please post them.

I hope that helps a little.