1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Some Trans People Are Preparing to Flee the US and Seek Asylum Abroad (report)

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Incoming, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Incoming

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Summary -

"Zara Crystal is one of a number of trans activists in North Dakota plotting a move overseas to escape a raft of proposed anti-LGBT laws. But not before she helps others get out."

Excerpt -

"Willgohs stumbled on the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees’ guidelines on refugee status based on sexual and gender orientation.

“I was like, ‘Wait a minute, this is crazy,” Willgohs remembered thinking. “I can actually declare asylum just because I’m trans?’”

She’s currently reaching out to LGBTQ organizations in European countries to learn more about the options that exist for her and the people she hopes to help flee.

Though TRANSport doesn’t have an official roster of clients yet, they have only just begun working and plan on accepting applications soon. Willgohs added that she’d like to start accepting applications for clients soon. “Hopefully we start taking applications toward the end of February and help people get the ball rolling to make the leap across the ocean,” she said, adding that anyone who benefits from TRANSport services will also be asked to support future clients. "

Full article (no paywall) -

https://www.vice.com/en/article/dy7qnj/trans-people-fleeing-us-seek-asylum

... My two cents

This article sounds a bit sensationalistic and I don't wish to alarm anyone. There are lots of positive things happening in the transgender community, too.

But I've noticed that so many trans people feel trapped - whether in their own homes, or in communities that are sharpening the knives.

Maybe this story has some useful information ? You might never need to flee abroad, but perhaps you have options closer to home.

2. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think me finding this thread was also a sign. I'm not planning to flee the USA completely because that is well beyond my means right now. However, I am planning on moving out of my red state because I partially fear for my safety as a trans man. I'm planning to move to a bluer state where I can hopefully get better access to healthcare and have a better quality of life out there. not saying life will be perfect but I'm definitely looking to move for my own safety.

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should get better healthcare access in blue states with medicaid expansion for single people and for trans health. Hang in there and keep safe!

4. Ushiromiya Red

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's absolutely what I'm hoping for. Thank you so much for your reply. I'm gonna do what I can to stay sane for myself and my mental health. But dear gods, has it been challenging. :dizzy_face: