1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Socially White, culturally Hispanic

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ECMember, Mar 19, 2018.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Does anyone identity with different ethenicities while in public/private?

I'm a mid 20s Latin guy. But socially I feel aligned to a White identity because I don't speak Spanish in public, I have a bachelors degree, I live in the suburbs of my town, I know my white acquaintances/friends than those of Latin origin.

Culturally I identify as Hispanic because of ancestry ties.

Sometimes on job applications that don't have a Hispanic box, I just check White.

I'm unsure how it will be if I ever get married with a White woman(that's my goal) and have kids, what will be their check box: White or Hispanic.

I feel like I've been slowly "whitening" myself as an attempt to achieve mobility.

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those aren't mutually exclusive titles. You can be both white and Hispanic, which is why the census specifies "non-Hispanic white" when they mean people of European ancestry. If you're darker skinned I guess that wouldn't apply though and your kids would be whatever they wanted to be, since they would be half white and half Hispanic either would work.

Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but some of the things you wrote are kinda racist towards Hispanics. As you can see in my profile picture I'm white so it doesn't offend me personally, but you saying you have a bachelors degree and live in the suburbs as proof of your whiteness is like saying Hispanic people aren't able to get bachelors degrees and nice suburban houses, which they obviously can since you did.

You really don't need to act white to be successful you know, there is nothing wrong with being Hispanic. Actually according to trends most of the country will be Hispanic within like 50 years anyway.

3. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel that "whiteness" rubbed off being around white people. I mean I'm not saying I'm a racist just adopting traits of whiteness

4. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yea I understand - I have adopted siblings from other countries (China, Puerto Rico, South Africa) and they all act culturally white too since we were raised the same way. If you feel more comfortable with that culture that's fine, but you don't need to get rid of your Hispanic identity just to fit in. That last part of what you wrote 'as an attempt to achieve mobility' makes it sound like you think you'll never be as successful unless you act the same as white people and that's not true at all.

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you mean listening to alternative rock, living in the suburbs, English speaking, etc. then yeah. The others of my ethnicity are either recent immigrants or gangbangers, and if not for there being large numbers of both, I'd probably feel even more estranged from Mexico. There are pockets of older communities in places like Texas, but assimilation and interracial unions have chipped at them.

I recommend the book Mexican Enough, by Stephanie Elizondo Griest. I might not be half white, like the author, but can definitely relate to a lot of the same struggles. One thing I wouldn't ever do is call myself white. I picture Saxons, Northern Europeans, and have somewhat negative connotations with it. The definitions vary across country, so even if I did, no one would buy it.

6. smurf

I mean, yes and no.

I'm a Hispanic guy here. My whole family for 3 generations have gone to getting their master degree, all of them are dentists, lawyers, doctors and engineers. We have always been lucky economically. We are still Hispanic as fuck.

We are loud in public, we are mostly late to everything, we love a good party, we will do anything for family, and many other stereotypes you want to throw our way.

One does not negate the other way. Its just that sadly in the United States you don't see or know enough hispanic people who like or do the things you do.This does not make you any less hispanic, but thinking that those traits only belong to white people is falling into racists stereotypes.

This is sooo dangerous for your self-esteem.

While it might work and make you feel good right now, you are also going to be trying to prove that you are "better" and "not like the others" your whole life. That is exhausting and you will be throwing every single Hispanic that is not able to be seen as worthy so you can move up in life.

I'm not saying its an easy thing to do. Most of my Hispanic friends have gone through this stage when we were younger. To hate being hispanic and anyone who "made us look bad".

Just know it doesn't have to feel that way.

ALL of those things does not make you white.

There is a WHOLE genre on indie rock in spanish. You can listen to Allison, Black Guayaba, Arteciopelados, Bomba Estero, Natalia Lafourcade, Mana, Juanes, Los Enanitos Verdes, and soooo many others. Indie music does not belong to white people and English speaking countries.

Its hard to put everything on one single post, but the things that you guys are referring to have to do with racism and classism in the United States. You feel that in order to be seen as successful and worth your humanity you must distant yourself from other Hispanics. You do not have to sacrifice who you are just to get the approval of white people.

I will also say that colorism (how dark your skin is) will play into this as well. There are some hispanics that have blonde hair and blue yes and are confused as white. But just because your skin is white it does not mean that you care any less hispanic.

I was VERY similar to you all when I was younger. It was until recently that I'm starting to figure out the damage that trying to get to close as "white" will have on you.

7. Hyrule Wayfarer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Reading this it seems like you are Racially Hispanic (something you cannot change) and Culturally White (Nurtured/Choice). I don't think its possible to 'socially' be a race, but if someone wants to explain with examples feel free. It seemed like OP was confusing culture for race, and then confusing social for culture.

I am fairly similar. I am culturally white (had minimal interactions with black people and only know blackness from music videos) but racially I am black (mixed race, but One Drop Rule).