1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by OnceUponAMeme, Jun 9, 2019.

1. OnceUponAMeme

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to think I only had body dysphoria, but once I started coming to terms with maybe being non binary I started to feel more social dysphoria. Has this happened to anyone else? It feels terrible to introduce myself with she/her pronouns, especially in lgbtq+ spaces, and I want to cry every time someone assumes I'm a lesbian (cause look like a stereotypical lesbian), not because I dont like girls/ dont like the term but because I'm not a girl. I used to be able to call myself sapphic but now even that feels too gendered and feminine. How can I deal with this?

2. imagirl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think a lot of us suffer from social dysphoria rather than body dysphoria- and my cure is just to express myself the way I want to- that is truthful and consistent in that, and makes others comfortable after a bit. People will try to classify you in the most general way first, and either you go along or you say- actually- 'I'm a female man- I'm not a lesbian in the ordinary sense of the word' '-and what is there to do but accept it. "Refer to me as 'he' and you'll have it right!" is a good close.

3. SimonSaid

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can kinda relate to ya, god knows how many times I've been asked if I was into boys or girls cuz I look pretty stereotypically androgynous (usually after I got to know them a bit thankfully though it still felt weird to be asked). I still have a hard time thinking about gender tbh because I'm conflicted on what exactly I should be feeling (Politically, I grew up in a conservative family, and I consider myself conservative with some liberal leanings). The best thing I can tell you though, is to identify however feels comfortable and to act comfortably (within reason of course, like, no lawbreaking if it can be avoided lol).