1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, Youtube comments...What do you think about homophobic comments on Youtube?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Apr 16, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay, I have to ask this. Whenever we go on Youtube, it's almost a guarantee that there will be hate comments, no matter what the video is about. That's just what makes Youtube, well...Youtube.

Well, lately I've been surfing Youtube and watching my favorite shows, games, etc. What bothers me is that when I read the comments, there's always a handful of people who start bashing homosexuals and they actually get plenty of likes for it! Then people try to reply back and defend the LGBT community, but the original poster will continue to laugh and insult them and the LGBT community.

These aren't just on videos related to LGBT. If I'm watching a show (not sure if you guys watch Hell's Kitchen, but lets take that show for example), people will purposely start a riot by posting hateful comments about gay people. Hell's Kitchen, for example, has an openly gay contestant and I've seen people posting hateful comments about him simply because he's gay. There's also other shows and video games where people will focus on that one characteristic of a person and miss the entire purpose of the video, but they want to make it known to the world that they're homophobes by insulting them.

I'm just wondering if these people who type these hateful comments truly mean what they say and are hateful themselves. Do you think they truly hate gay people or do they feel indifferent about them but want to purposely upset people and start a fight? It scares me that there's still (plenty) of people like them in the world and it's very unlikely they'll ever stop. I also find it hard to believe people are so filled with this much hatred. Also, do most people support LGBT people or do most oppose LGBT people, like the comments suggest?

2. Psaurus918

There could be a mix of reasons why people write the things they write online.

1. They are trolls just trying to start an argument or gain attention online because they have no life.

2. They are secretly gay and trying to deny their sexuality by making others who are comfortable with being out and open feel like crap

3. They are keyboard warriors trying to sound tough because they are protected by a computer screen

4. They really are homophobic because or their religion or upbringing.

I try to ignore what I read online but sometimes it can be hard and people can be really cruel but at the end of the day they're just a bunch of strangers I've never met and probably never will so why would I care what they have to say

3. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They're just dumb homophobic straight boys who don't have a life, so they're nothing we should worry about...

4. Burnedcloset

one of the worst comments sections I've seen (that really stayed in my mind) was on a video on GFvsBF (Gina and Jesse). They had a video with Joey graceffa and SO MANY people commented that they were disgusted by Joey. That he was gay and all that bull.

5. futuristicfire

*Slams head repeatedly into wall*

^That, mostly.

6. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

I don't think about YouTube comments in any capacity, and neither should anyone that wishes to preserve their neurons.

7. Lyana

Often, they're just trolling. I'd probably answer them if they weren't already pretty successful with that -- I always see that someone else has answered them, usually with a rational argument, sometimes with well-intended nonsense. At least that way I'm not the one feeding the trolls.

The internet is, for many people, a chance to do shit anonymously and without being censored. I try not to take it personally. Yeah, it's human beings using the internet, but the most visible people on the internet are not the majority in the street.

And yeah, there'll always be hated in the world, but let's try not to measure it in YouTube comments, eh?

In my country, at least, most support them, according to surveys. I'm inclined to believe that.

8. RainDreamer

Don't read you tube comment. That section should have a "give up all hope for humanity, those who enter here" sign. It is not worth your time to read any non-moderated comment section on the internet, actually.

It is why I go to forum like these instead of commenting in comment sections of news and videos.

9. RainDreamer

Don't read you tube comment. That section should have a "give up all hope for humanity, those who enter here" sign. It is not worth your time to read any non-moderated comment section on the internet, actually.

It is why I go to forum like these instead of commenting in comment sections of news and videos.

10. Decandyman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ha youtube comments...if you want to know the main reason why aliens don't associate with us just read youtube comments... Can never take them seriously.

11. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  12. MisterTinkles

Morons, dipshits, and brainless human garbage love to show off how ignorant they are.

I can do nothing but laugh at them and hope they get hit by a bus.

13. Randomcloud

Youtube is full of morons, I don't take anything in the comments section seriously or to heart (if I even read them)

14. kem

kem

When I have nothing better to do, I like to go correct people on YouTube comments sections. The people there are horrible but there's something fun about that brief feeling of superiority and condescending

15. UnderTheRainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think..
    You are probably gay and just don't know it yet/ are hiding it.
    That or ...
    At least LGBT people are not jerks. And more likely than not, they have a better romance and or sex life than you.

Hey, it's probably true.:badgrin:

16. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I pretty much don't care at all about YouTube comments, since they represent the nadir of human intellect.

17. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Wow, I will remember this next time when another idiot correct me in the comment section, "you must be bored" :lol:

18. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My advice never ever read commentary on anything. IT is always filled with people who prefer to spread vile hatred and stupidity. They basically lack the ability to think for themselves and have no respect for human dignity. It is tempting to read it sometimes but most of it is just wrong.

19. Quiet Raven

Honestly, from the videos I tend to watch, I don't see a whole lot of homo/transphobic comments. When someone posts one there is usually a whole bunch of people replying in defense. Meaning the number of viewers who are homo/transphobic is actually a fairly small percentage. Most of the videos I watch are gaming channels.

I think the worst comment section I have seen is the transphobia in the comments of the Amazing Atheist. He did a video on Leelah Alcorn and there was a LOT of Transphobia on that one.