1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So there's this boy...

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by RyeTheDauphin, Nov 15, 2016.

1. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Over the past few months, I've become more friendly with this guy in my class. We share a lot of the same subjects so I'm in at least one lesson with him every day, we went on the same school trip last week and we're both debate nerds so we've had quite a lot of intense political discussions. I feel like we've gone from acquaintances to friends, and as you probably gathered from the title, I've started to develop feelings for him. I think we would be genuinely good for each other because we share similar interests and even though he doesn't know it, he's been a great emotional support to me for the past few months while I've been dealing with depression.

I am terrible at reading social cues, so I'm really confused about whether he likes me back. On the one hand, I've noticed that I've accidentally been a bit more clingy towards him than usual but he never seems to mind, and he almost always laughs at my jokes even if they aren't that good. On the other hand, the odds are certainly not in my favor and it's entirely possible that he's just polite. He's closer with quite a few other girls than he is with me, and I don't know if that's an advantage or not.

I want to ask him out, but I don't know how and I don't know if it's worth it. How can I ascertain whether he likes me back or would even be open to the possibility of going out? How do I plan a potential date? How do I ask him? If I get rejected, how can I make sure the friendship isn't ruined (every other time my crush has found out I like them, it's messed up any friendship we had before, and I would be destroyed if that happened)?

Also, I'm wondering about whether/how to tell him about my mental illness. I feel like he'd be an understanding and sympathetic person to open up to and I think that being open about how I've been feeling and how much he's meant to me might strengthen our relationship. But at the same time, I don't want to freak him out or make him think I'm damaged goods or something, so even if I don't end up asking him out, do you think it's possible or a good idea to talk to him about that, and how and when would I do it?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks a bunch. :slight_smile:

2. ImNotYourMom

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    just ask him out. with asking out guys its easy its yes or no, your chances of him saying yes will greaten a bit if you are good friends though. you dont have to say anything too romantic. About your mental illness, you can tell him if you really want that long term relationship he'll find out anyways if you don't tell him, so I think its best if you tell him. If he thinks you're damaged goods, then question yourself would you want to be with a person who just assumes that?