1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So met a guy (and I screwed it up)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Matt, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Matt

Matt Guest

Drats.

I finally met a guy who was pretty cool. We both work at the same hospital, but on different floors. We started out just saying hi in the hallway when we'd meet, then we started having little conversations. Later on sparks flew every time we'd meet in the hallway or elevator (I hadn't gotten the guts up quite yet to ask him out to do something—as friends, even—because I haven't told him I'm gay, nor has he told me). Oh, the sparks were great, until I opened my mouth.

We were chatting one day about typical guy stuff—cars, hunting, boobies (oh wait, we didn't talk about boobies)—and I let it slip that I drive a hearse. Keep in mind that we work in a setting where death is something that we deal with on an almost-daily basis... we help prevent it, we help save people from it, we help people die with dignity, and we help people grieve and we help their families grieve as well. Keep in mind, also, that I don't drive it every day. It uses too much gas, takes up too many parking spaces, and broken things cost too much to replace. That's if you can find a replacement.

Not that I was trying to hide the fact that I drive a Cadillac with casket rollers in the back, not at all. I've learned not to interject that particular tidbit into conversations (whether fitting or not) until I've really gotten to know somone. Close enough so that alluvahsudden disappearances from one's daily routine can't be explained with a simple "I've been busy."

But as such, I haven't seen him for the past several days, and I've maintained my usual hospital routine. I hope I haven't scared him off.

2. tinkergeek

tinkergeek Guest

You've said he has only just met you, really. So, you both know little about eachother. You said something very weird and he does not know you, except for what you have told him.. You expect him not to act a little odd? (If he is indeed avoiding you of course...)

However, don't let the sparks die down. I'm sure there is enough good to you that you can overcome his fear about making out in a hearse on a date.. If he has altered his patern to be clear of you, change yours. It may be you were not meant for eachother, but don't go down without a fight.

3. zeremonie

Matt, if anything, it gives you a ton of personality. Who wants to date a boring guy who drives a really boring car.

I'd rather date a guy who is interesting and fun and like you than just some idiot who happens to have money to buy a new chevy somethingerrather.

You haven't screwed it up (although you still could I suppose! :wink:). Just let your great personality shine. I'm sure you'll run into him again it will be sparks again - or was that your engine making those sparks? :wink:

Z

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow... you spend enough time on the Internet and you hear EVERYTHING.

*grin*

I guess driving a hearse is pretty non-standard but then I've watched the first two seasons of Six Feet Under so it doesn't seem quite so shocking to me.

I would give it a bit more time before you decide you've tanked things. If you guys don't know each other that well, he might just have gone on holiday or had a family emergency or switched shifts.

5. Matt

Matt Guest

I should've come back with "Uh, hearse? no, I didn't say hearse. I said purse. Yeah, that's it. I own a purse."

6. TriBi

Well - you could always tell him you have a convertible. :slight_smile:

That's still true - isn't it?

7. Matt

Matt Guest

I still have the convertible, and it's my daily driver until I work on the hearse a little more... this summer it's been 95ºF+ every day so I haven't had the top down much.

w00t w00t!! Halloween is approaching and it looks as if I'll get to go trick or treating in my hearse!

(Yes, I still trick or treat. What's it to you?)
    :grin:

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uhm... if it's that hot out, wouldn't you have the top down every day?

Uh... nothing?

I never really liked trick or treating, so I was happy to stop doing it. I actually really hate dressing up in costume. It's always so much work.

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

He's probably using the air-con. :slight_smile:

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ohh... I've heard of that. Since we only need it like 2 or 3 months out of the year in Vancouver, it doesn't naturally occur to me.

11. Matt

Matt Guest

It's been 95-100ºF here for the last, oh, I don't know, few months I suppose. We've also had an unsually humid year, with humidity near 85-90% every day, sometimes more, and as a result, I haven't had the top down much at all this summer. What a shame, because top down motoring is such bliss.

On a good note, I've started seeing the guy around the hospital more. I think he took a new job in a department that I'm in a lot of contact with on most days... w00t w00t. We've had several short conversations in the past few days, made possible because my job and his job interact a lot. Maybe things weren't quite as bad as it seems.