1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I'm quitting smoking, feeling kinda weird

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by killswitch0029, Sep 15, 2016.

1. killswitch0029

After 7ish years of smoking cigarettes and 3 other attempts, I bought a vape to try and help me quit.

It's been about two weeks since I've last had a cigarette and although I feel kind of better, I've had a bad cough and have been coughing a lot of crap up.

Is this normal? If it's normal, any idea how long till it goes away? Anything else I should expect?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2. ABeautifulMind

Yea, when you quit you cough shit up.... I quit about 5 years ago, took about 3-4 months I think to stop coughing...

Careful with vapes.. the liquids are not regulated so there is no telling how potent they are or what is in them...

When I quit I used my natural ADD to distract myself every time I want a cigarette... know thyself lol... If you can I would try to quit without the vape, or maybe make sure to have plans on quitting the vape too..

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't need to quit vaping. Despite what everyone is trying to get you to believe, there's nothing harmful in them. EVERY product in them is already approved by the FDA. One of the more recent studies of the "harmful" effects of vape was funded by the tobacco industry. Don't believe the bullshit.

The only thing people can really point to is the nicotine. Sorry, but nicotine wasn't the thing that was killing me.

4. faustian1

As others here and the Europeans have discovered, anyone who smokes tobacco should be encouraged to, at least, find an alternative that provides nicotine only (such as vaping, or smokeless tobacco...yes, even that). These alternatives are substantially safer than smoking tobacco.

Of course, i'm all in favor of giving up nicotine, too. I did, after switching to smokeless from cigarettes, and using it for about six years. It's possible to get to very high doses of nicotine daily with smokeless--approaching about 10% of the LDL50 (median lethal dose) of about 500 mg ( How much nicotine kills a human? Tracing back the generally accepted lethal dose to dubious self-experiments in the nineteenth century ). What I can tell you is that the withdrawal from smokeless is even more wicked than from cigarettes, in most people. 50 mg of nicotine daily will keep you pretty wired.

I have to say I really liked smokeless, too, even if it grossed everyone else out :slight_smile:

But I also feel much better without any nicotine.

5. killswitch0029

On one note I'm glad to hear that all my coughing and stuff is natural. That's a bit reassuring. Right now I'm not really worried about what dangers vaping may or may not have, I'm a bit more concerned about getting off of and staying off of cigarettes.

6. faustian1

I think it was harder than quitting just about anything. I had some luck starting with the 21 mg patches, one a day, and then tapering to the 14 and 7 mg and then to 0 over the period recommended. The withdrawal can be pretty brutal, but if you're vaping nicotone you won't have that issue and it's mostly the psychological urge to smoke a cigarette that you have to deal with.

7. killswitch0029

Right now I'm using oil with 6mg nicotine. I'm gonna try and stay on it for another month or two then try to wean myself down to 3mg. Ideally I'd like to go down to no nicotine at all but I'm more focused on making sure I don't cave and fall back on cigarettes.

8. faustian1

That sounds good. The other experience I can relate is that you'll probably be on edge and irritable (nicotine receptors aren't happy with you), so try to be extra kind to yourself. Put yourself in peaceful situations, and do special things for yourself that have extra personal meaning to you. It takes quite a long time for your sleep patterns and everything else to settle down, so being extra gentle with yourself is very helpful. Stay strong!

#8 faustian1, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  9. killswitch0029

Good to know the reason for my messed up sleep patterns :lol:

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Complete and utter bullshit.

Check out this site which is run by the nonprofit California Department of Health. It gives a tiny sampling of the well-researched articles (NOT funded by the tobacco lobby) on the topic.

Also bullshit. Vapes are currently mostly exempt from FDA regulation, though fortunately, that is changing, and with it, many products will go away entirely.

That's curious, seeming as how about 80% of the companies making vape products are owned by Big Tobacco. My guess is that this, too, is bullshit.

Again, also false.

This has some truth to it. However, you're trading one poison for another.

If you have a choice between vapes and cigarettes or other tobacco products, vapes might be somewhat safer. But as they are unregulated, and the long-term impact of the (mostly unregulated) ingredients when ingested into the lungs is unknown, we don't really know, but the early data shows that it is simply trading one set of toxins for another.

Please, please don't spread bullshit, especially on a support community where it is important that accurate information be conveyed to our many youthful members who trust this community as a reliable source for information.

--------

As far as the OP goes, congratulations for taking the steps to get yourself healthier. You're on a positive path, and you're wise to take this first step. False information aside, your long-term goal, if you want optimum health, is to eliminate the vape as well, as there is absolutely harm associated with it. (This is why many places have banned not only cigarettes, but vapes, and why many states are instituting severe restrictions on vape sales, and why the FDA and many states are regulating vapes.)

But your immediate goal should be tapering down and taking care of yourself. Faustian has given you some great advice, and I think if you follow that, you'll find it easier to make the shift completely away. And once you do, you will be a lot happier and healthier in the long run :slight_smile:

11. killswitch0029

First off I'd like to thank everyone for their advice that they shared.

I did look into a bit of the website Chip posted about vapes. Some of the information I was aware of, some of it not and I found it to be a rather interesting and informatie read. I am aware of potential dangers that may be associated with vapes I'm not entirely worried because once I'm sure I can get off cigarettes for good vaping won't be something I regularly do like smoking (plus my own personal biases make me a little skeptical, I mean it was published from the state that banned the import of licorice candy with prop 65... but I'm always down to at least consider information's validity regardless if it looks legit, which the site does)

I know it may seem counter-productive to substitute to substitute one dangerous item for another for another, but given the relatively cheaper costs compared to some of the other methods and some success stories I've heard, and that it's not something I plan on regularly doing once I quit cigarettes, I decided vaping would be the most efficient way for me to go.

Again, thank you all for the advice, much appreciated :slight_smile:

#11 killswitch0029, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's actually not counterproductive at all; it's a smart and sensible decision. There are many ways to address addiction issues to any drug that can cause chemical dependency, and replacement with a less dangerous drug is certainly sensible. As I said above, there's no question that vapes do not contain all of the toxic and carcinogenic components that cigarettes do; what we don't know is what other dangerous impact they may have. The damage from cigarettes did not become readily apparent until the late 1950s, some 30 years after they became widely popular.

You'll also be able to wean down on nicotine levels, and vapes will help you address the biorhythm of having something in your mouth, which for some people quitting, is a big part of the issue. So yes, it's a sensible choice. My objection was to the unfounded statement that vapes are safe and there's nothing wrong with them and no risk.

13. trojan

i used a book called 21 days to freedom probably available on Amazon. I tried for 20 years, and now have quit years ago. It was the best thing I ever did, quitting.

14. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Have you tried patches? They have been taking the edge off for me!

15. SplitMelody

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I smoked for about the same time, until I had to quit for hormones. Haven't touched them since.

The coughing up stuff could be related to the vape >.< I had a roommate who did the same thing and had the same problem.

The cravings will never go away completely, expect them to smell hideous and disgusting like never before, but sometimes also smell alluring.

Careful when you drink because the cravings get worse.

That's all I've got :grin: Congrats!