1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So how does everyone here feel about "political" queerness?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Love4Ever, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And this woman has NEVER espoused conversion therapy. Never. She is completely against it so to label her that way no matter whether you agree with her or not is just not true. And a lot of people on her website, including herself, STARTED out as straight, and explored same sex attractions despite knowing that society would obviously have preferred them to just be straight. Despite in almost every society in the world it is easier to be straight and they had that option they acted on same sex feelings. If any argument can be made she is trying to help STRAIGHT people explore their sexuality, so if she is "converting" someone then she is "converting" them to be gay or bi. Which is the COMPLETE opposite of what a homophobic conversion therapist would want.

2. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with you, it seems she's saying "lesbians need to broaden their horizons and not be afraid of the opposite sex" just because she only sees through her eyes, being someone who is ok with both sexes(which is valid and more than ok, I just mean don't tell lesbians how to feel either just because you feel a certain way. In no way am I invalidating bisexuality, and I apologize if it comes off that way.)

And people, I think, are saying "choice" when they mean just coming out to themselves/realizing their sexual preferences. It's the word "choice" that rubs me the wrong way because that's giving all the republicans and conservatives and conversion therapists validation that sexuality is a choice, when no it is not. You choose to realize it or explore it, you choose to come to terms with it and/or tell people, you don't choose your natural preferences, you just are attracted to whichever gender(s) you're attracted to. Yes, there is often a struggle because of heteronormative fears and societal conditioning and religion crap- all which make it a struggle and scary to accept your feelings and preferences. But like I said, the choice is acknowledging yourself and telling others, not what your preferences actually are.

Meander likes this.
  3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fully agree with that and thank you for giving context to the threads @Blackbirdz , I hadn't bothered to check out the queerbychoice page thinking it was just about people claiming they had chosen to be gay (for whatever motive) but now I have read what it's all about, I can now fully understand why this whole thing might piss some queer people off. It's pretty much saying homosexuals and straight people are close-minded and cowards for not wanting to explore past their natural attraction as if they did, they would probably not be straight /gay, which is ridiculous as most queer people have dated/had sex with the opposite sex so can't see how her therory stands.

I was in an LGBT group where some people had similar claims "nobody is really straight", totally forgetting to acknowledge that it would mean nobody is totally gay either, it irked me to no end and I eventually stopped going.

Meander, Yumette and DirectionNorth like this.