1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News So Gaydar actually exists now apparently

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Destin, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

Does it work on bisexuals?

3. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to the story, not at the moment because they didn't try to make it work on bisexuals, but if it works for both straight and gay they could probably fine-tune it to work on bisexuals too eventually.

4. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmmmm interesting. So now everyone will be spending more time in front of the mirror trying to look less gay lol

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's interesting and I'd be curious to see if it would detect me correctly. I'd like to see a sampling of the pictures used to teach the system and know more about the combination of features it determined indicated a gay person. In an ideal world this would help to show that orientation is innate and natural. Unfortunately those against us would still think it's harmful and has to be repressed. Logic would say it's not 100% accurate so it can't be used against people, but the anti-gay people don't care about logic.

6. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Would it actually work or is it shoddy? Because i keep getting responses like "Oh really?? I never would've guessed!", etc when i tell people, and some even doubting it because i don't "look or seem" like a lesbian. I didn't realize hairstyles determine who you are attracted to, but whatever.

7. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They said if they give the software multiple pictures to look at instead of just one, it guessed who was gay with 91% accuracy out of 35,000 trials. So that seems to work pretty well.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Facebook was working on an algorithm a while back that could look at your friends list, postings, and various other things and deduce with high accuracy who is gay but closeted (I presume they determined this when the person eventually came out).

As I've said for a while, it is usually the people who are most desperately trying to act straight who come off to those with good gaydar as pretty obviously gay. Obviously a still picture is looking at something different... but this isn't terribly surprising.

#8 Chip, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  9. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I still don’t think anyone would know I’m not, but I’ve been wrong before

10. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It was supposed to I’m bi not I’m not No edit function

11. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I'm kinda like that too. The article gave the percentages of being correct and it was higher for men than women so maybe you fall into the group it wouldn't predict right. On the other hand, if most of its algorithm is based on facial measurement, that's not something people can analyze like a computer can so maybe it would detect you that way. People probably go more by clothes/hairstyle choices based on stereotypes. Most of us are just average people so we aren't easily identified until perhaps after spending enough time around us and they notice we don't pay attention the opposite gender and/or catch us checking out the same gender.

Even if something could identify sexuality 100% accurately and I use it to determine that a guy I like is gay, it's not going to matter if he doesn't want to be out or isn't interested in me. I dunno, it's an interesting concept to think about.

12. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally agree. I think a lot of closeted people who say no one knows aren't aware of the sort of unspoken agreement around this sort of thing. As a gay person when someone who is closeted asks if they ever give off a gay vibe the answer in all circumstances is "absolutely not". The same question from someone who doesn't ping the gaydar will more often than not get someyhing along the lines of: "only when you wear that shirt". LOL

13. Jude B

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ikr?! I get the same reaction quite often and it’s borderline offensive. :angry:
    But, I mean, I guess that’s the sort of reactions some people have and all thoughts are valid, especially of those that simply haven’t been told that lesbians don’t always “look gay.” But, there are some people that have been told this and refuse to believe it. Because of course they do. *eyeroll*