1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So confused

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by tourettesqueen, Jan 6, 2016.

1. tourettesqueen

Really confused about my gender identity. I was born female. I'm happy that way. I like my body, with all its feminine curves. And yet I really would like to be male. I prefer to write from a boy's perspective. I've tried on one of my dad's shirts(my dad is overweight and I'm really small, so it was huge on me and baggy enough to make me look flat), pinned up my hair and put on a baseball cap and talked in a deeper voice and was "Michael" and that felt kinda right, but I've never felt any dysphoria or any doubts before so why should I now? I wasn't very girly as a kid and always shied away from looking too feminine in the same way a boy would avoid wearing pink, I found looking girly embarassing, but I played with dolls and loved pink yet at the same time I rode bikes and swam and climbed trees and loved fart jokes. I don't know anymore and I know I will eventually and that the only person who can know is me but it takes so long to figure these things out(it took 3 years for me to realize I'm pan) and I just want some advice.

2. Bibliovian

I will tell you, I think it's far more complicated then simply male-female identity. For example: I'm really fairly cisgender outside a few misgivings so I'd be a poor example. But my partner identifies as female. Loves her body and it's curves, much like you, but she only wears clothing from the men's section, she has almost entirely masculine interests. It's just what makes her feel comfortable, confident and sexy. She where's cargo shorts, short hair and goes mountain biking, but paints her toe nails hot pink.

Meh. Life's complicated. You do what feels right and hope clarity comes with time.

3. Null

You don't need to have dysphoria to be trans. Moreover, you may later realize that you actually felt dysphoria but never realized.
    About liking your body, that's totally normal. I like my boobs and waist, yet I cringe when somebody calls me a girl.

Anyway, I'm sure you know that there are plenty of girls out there who act "masculine" (aka tomboys).
    So you may wonder, how do I know if I'm trans or just a tomboy? Well... that's a difficult question. I think that if you go ask the most masculine girl on the planet what her gender is, she'd tell you that she's a woman. A masculine one, but a still a woman. She feels connected to her "womanhood" despite not being feminine at all.

Sorry I didn't really answer your question, but I hope you figure things out soon!

#3 Null, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016