1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So confused..

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by mnlonely, Dec 28, 2013.

1. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, just about the 'masculine/feminine role' stuff
    I would personally like to DO the cuddling in a relationship (be the masculine one), but I also would want my guy to be pretty masculine... so... I don't think it's such a big deal

2. Trooper

This might just be me, but I would actually consider that a turn on if it was a guy I was attracted to. Only problem is I'm fairly shy myself, so I wouldn't dare to make a move if I didn't feel the guy was open to that.

I don't feel a huge desire to try bottoming, I would just consider doing it if my partner was versatile and wanted to try it. If my partner is a strict bottom, then that's great, I feel comfortable as a top anyway.

That sounds like a great idea.

It's possible your straight buddies suspect you're gay or that you're not being completely open with them, which may be detrimental to your friendship. Who knows, they might even suspect you're secretly attracted to them? Coming out to them when you're ready might help with this, as you could then be completely open about who you like. And if they don't then accept you for who you are, then maybe you should try finding some new friends.

See this is completely wrong though. I am very attracted to regular guys, who are a bit on the shy side and have that "nice guy" vibe. If anything an overly feminine bottom that's too outgoing would be a turn off for me (this is just my personal taste, so no offense to the guys out there who might fit this description). I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Ultimately, what this is all about is that you need to know that you deserve to be loved. If you don't, this will be reflected in how you project yourself to others, and you won't even allow others to feel that they can approach you. It has to start with you, and building your inner strength.

3. Simple Thoughts

Don't feel bad, I get that impression of myself sometimes especially from Roleplay. You're a fantastic writer though, I can just tell. Besides, I'm sure that's just one of a whole bunch of talents of yours :slight_smile:

Who knows? Maybe you'll find the holy grail first ^.^

Just look it up on youtube, there's a small documentary from like Animal Planet where they show drunk monkeys. :slight_smile:

Wow besides the actually graduating part, that sounds like about how my college experience was. I never really had much of an outgoing personality. I'm pretty internalized, and I have trouble talking to new people. Don't know why, just do.

I skipped Highschool pretty much, jumped straight into college so I'm also lacking the High School experience :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Estraven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's very human to live with a vague sense of dissatisfaction with who we are (*hug*)

No people are uninteresting.
    Their fate is like the chronicle of planets.

Nothing in them in not particular,
    and planet is dissimilar from planet. (People Yevtushenko) :eusa_naug

You come over as very thoughtful in your posts. I think some people need a bit of time to get to know, but other people do get a lot of attention immediately. Maybe you are being a bit hard on youself? The ones who get all the attention aren't always well liked and popular- sometimes they just have high impact on others.

[/QUOTE] I loved it, and went twice in a week :eusa_doh: It's good in 3d in the high frame rate.

5. mnlonely

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thats really nice of you to say.. I'll go ahead and say it even made my stomach perform a few somersaults. If someone out there really was attracted to my shyness I would be one of the happiest guys alive. Although if were to ever get approached I'd be tongue tied and not be able to take my eyes off the floor...heh

I just wouldn't want to rob anyone of an experience or part of a relationship they enjoy.. Figured it was a two way street or else they'd just be with a girl instead. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

They've just been such close friends since gradeschool. Every day after school we would hang out. Literally every day for 7+ years and then in college as well. I don't understand or think they would actually dislike me.. I think being in the army changed one of them..the other seems to be really nice. But nonetheless they have been giving me the cold shoulder. They hang out with each other all the time still and they are actually roommates. I do think the nicer one has a suspicion I am gay though.

I wouldn't even know where to find any LGBT friends. There aren't really any gaybars in the town I live in. Even if there were..is that a good place to find someone for a friends or a relationship? I haven't been to one before but are they anything like normal bars? People looking to hook up?

Thats really sweet to say again..heh. The media has warped my sense of reality it seems. Perfect models everywhere.. My heart jumped again hearing someone out there would be happy with an average shy nice guy. Thanks for that.

Maybe being shy is part of who I am..it felt really good hearing at least one person out there likes shy guys. I will say I am afraid to let others in though.

Thanks for the reply.. :grin:

---------- Post added 29th Dec 2013 at 01:55 PM ----------

Thanks for the encouragement.. Maybe its just rubbing off from my interest in reading. I've actually been rereading Harry Potter for fun the past couple weeks. I'm onto the Half Blood Prince.. :grin:

The thought makes me smirk and shake my head.. I doubt I'll meet anyone. Too shy for it! You'll have to let me know how it is. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'll check it out after the Vikings game! I'll miss the metrodome.. :frowning2:

We seem really similar lol. I was always paralyzed with fear everytime someone decided to talk to me or ask for my opinion.

6. Simple Thoughts

It's possible. I knew a bunch of grammar rules I wasn't supposed to know my freshman year of highschool because of reading books :slight_smile:

Also, Half-Blood Prince was where I lost interest in the Harry Potter books. I'm not sure why, but I couldn't will myself through the books anymore.

Oh you will. Everyone thinks they won't, and then they do ^.^

Okay :slight_smile:

Yes, we do have some very similar traits apparently :slight_smile:

I know the feeling. I always felt awkward or weird when people I didn't know tried to talk to me...I regret not giving anyone a chance though, but that's all the past ^.^

7. mnlonely

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Others are just so much more interesting and outspoken. I'm too softspoken to even be seen.

Never thought of it like that.. :O

Yes.. but I dunno if I am worth it to get to know. I would feel so terrible for wasting someones time as they try to get to know me and then have them be disappointed with who they find.

I guess I am a little bit hard on myself.. When someone would stop wanting to roleplay with me I would tell myself I suck at roleplaying or that I'm not worth knowing. I tell myself I'm stupid and ugly all the time. Just kind of trying to rationalize why no one seems to want to talk with me outside of friends I made when I was 7.

Im really excited to see it.. maybe my brothers will go with me. Wish I had a boyfriend or something I could drag to it with me..heh

---------- Post added 29th Dec 2013 at 02:10 PM ----------

Thanks for more confirmation that not only straight guys like to cuddle.. Maybe there is someone out there!

8. Trooper

I'm happy I could offer a different perspective, really I was just being honest because what you described really doesn't match how I feel.

I will say this though. Finding someone as a very shy guy is not easy. I know, because I'm struggling with how to balance my natural shyness around strangers with showing others (subtly) that I'm interested. So I would advise you to try to open up to guys who reach out to you. Just try to imagine what it's like on their end. Even if he's your perfect man, it's not easy to pursue something deeper, if he just met you and you don't reciprocate after he's shown interest. But I'm struggling with this as well, after coming out to myself not long ago, so I'm not the best person to give you tips on exactly how to act. I do believe that merely feeling secure in yourself goes a long way, and that has helped me in everyday situations.

Really, what do you have to lose by reaching out to other guys? You already came out to one person, and I presume she's not the only one you plan on ever coming out to, so just let yourself go. :slight_smile: Make yourself available, try to get in touch with other guys (haven't been to gay bars either so can't help with that, sorry!), and when you feel like you're really connecting with someone, just relax and be yourself. Just from what you shared in this thread, I can tell you're not a "boring" person.

9. mnlonely

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I like em all. But the first couple books were my favorite. Starts getting pretty dark toward the end. I teared up at the end of OOtP. Amazing how books can bring out such a emotional response.. heh

We'll see!

I'll have to work on that. I have trouble letting people in.

---------- Post added 29th Dec 2013 at 03:11 PM ----------

Which part? heh..

This has been a very big problem for me. I'm very interested in someone but I can't bring myself to show it. This is awful.. I'm aware this makes it seem like I am uninterested, but its quite the opposite. I like them so much I can't bring myself to show it.

If there really is the perfect guy out there..I'm afraid. Afraid I'll do something to screw it up before he even gets to know me.. I hope that hasn't already happened..

10. Simple Thoughts

Yes, books are great for that. I lost interest in books for the longest time though...Sort of shut down for awhile during my teens. I've been trying to pull myself out of that messy jazz lately though ^.^

And when we do I'll get to say 'Told ya so'

It can be hard sometimes, but if you will yourself into it I think you'll find a better sense of self and happiness :slight_smile:

11. Trooper

About being attracted to shy guys, not looking for a feminine, outgoing bottom etc.

12. AKTodd

Nope, it's not for sissies. Far from it. Honestly, I bet if you polled the EC membership, you'd find a very large percentage, possibly a large majority, who like cuddling. And a fair chunk of those are going to be pretty masculine, although the masculine/feminine spectrum is quite broad so you'd also see a lot of other folks as well, including some much like yourself and others who are rather different.

A guy who 'has sex and then done' probably doesn't get asked for repeat dates much, I suspect. I've been with guys who were fem (to some degree anyway) and guys who were masculine and other than some hookup situations, none of them were in a big hurry to just up and leave the minute we'd both finished having sex. Ok, there may be times when you're both hungry or have someplace you have to be, but if you've got the time to just kick back and relax for a bit afterward, most of the time that's what guys like to do (in my experience).

Hrm. See, what I'm mainly hearing here is low self-esteem talking. People's ideas of what is 'cute' or 'attractive' can vary hugely. There is no one single standard that everyone agrees on, despite what the media and advertisers may try to tell you. Whether at first look or after getting to know the 'total package' that is you, there are guys who will find you attractive and who will be happy to cuddle with you unasked once they know you like that sort of thing.

It really made me sad. I wanted to be her. I don't know if I necessarily wanted to be a girl, but I wanted to be in the position she was in. Having someone to hold onto her must have been such a nice feeling, but I know the likelihood of that happening for me is next to zero.[/QUOTE]

I've actually been in the position of both the guy and the girl in the scenario you describe. I've held someone and had them lean into me while we talked to our friends or just enjoy the moment and I've had a guy wrap his arms around me as I just leaned back into his chest with my head under his chin and we talked (we were on barstools at the time which took a certain amount of skill to stay on while doing that :grin:)

If you put yourself out there and meet folks the likelihood of this happening for you is much greater.

Thank you :thumbsup: It took a while, but between my efforts and those of friends I made in college, and a fair bit of life experience, I'm vastly better now.

More importantly, I'd like to suggest that if I can crawl out of all that and be happy, then it could be worthwhile trying to change your stars to be the sort of person you want to be.

Unfortunately, that sort of thing almost never happens anywhere but in movies. It can be hard for LGBT people to find each other outside of specific environments, and many of those don't lend themselves to relationships. Straight society has a huge infrastructure and societal expectation that supports people 'just meeting' and hitting it off. And even with all that, they still often have a hard time finding someone (why do you think they have all those dating sites and speed dating, and self-help books, and talk shows, and magazine articles, and so on and so forth? We have a lot less of that.

It's not a question of you being 'worthy' or not. It's partly a matter of luck and partly a matter of putting yourself out there and taking a chance. Won't always succeed but eventually you will.

Then it seems like a worthwhile project to try to find out. And if there are parts of yourself that aren't as you'd like them to be...many times you can change those bits.

There are parts of the gay community who are vain and superficial. There are parts of the human race as a whole who are vain and superficial. No one group represents all of us.

Re your second statement here - If I'm understanding you correctly, we've established that I'm masculine as you define the term. I've topped and bottomed both (although anal in itself doesn't really excite me), and I'm going to dispute your statement here, at least as it applies to me. First, because as mentioned earlier, different guys have different tastes and definitions of what they consider 'cute' or attractive. Second, because my particular tastes are not so narrow as to be limited to 'cute as a button' anything.

I am attracted to guys who exhibit a combination of traits that generate feelings of attraction and sexual desire (aka lust). About the only really consistent trait for me is hairiness. Even then, I've dated a smooth guy and he was a total sweetheart and we had a lot of fun together (including cuddling - btw he's an ex-Air Force bodybuilder with a shaved head). A second, less consistent, but still pretty strong, trait is guys who look 'real' to me. That means they look like average guys who wear what is comfortable, maybe look a little rough around the edges, at least in day-to-day life (everyone needs to/may like to dress up sometimes), and don't spend all that much time on primping. This having nothing to do with whether they are masc or fem or anything in between. I want a man, not a Ken doll. Could a guy who's into all that stuff get my attention? Maybe. Have they so far? Not really.

The moral of the story here is: Don't assume that a masculine top guy will only be interested in 'cute as a button bottoms'. He will have tastes and preferences and they may very well be for qualities (both physical and personality) that you have. To him, YOU may be 'cute as a button' .

Or maybe they liked you but were shy themselves and nervous about approaching you. Or maybe they thought you weren't interested. Can you prove to me that neither of these scenarios is possible?

Todd:slight_smile:

13. mnlonely

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's tough when there are so many other distractions. I won't lie..I break out Candy Crush every once in awhile when I have the opportunity to read. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Very much hoping you prove me wrong..heh

New Years resolution..gotta think of a good one!

---------- Post added 29th Dec 2013 at 07:24 PM ----------

Never been happier to be wrong.. :grin:

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't have anything else constructive to say besides much love and peace to all.

(&&&)

15. mnlonely

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My heart really yearns for it. For some reason my brain is wired to place cuddling, holding hands, kissing, etc farrrr above sex. Which is why I was curious if I'm transgendered. Isn't the male brain programmed to want sex while girls are more likely to want the cuddling aspect? If thats true I definitely fall under the girl category?

This is probably my warped sense of reality from the media, but I guess..I always thought thats what -most- gay guys do. Sure there are some monogamous guys..but the vast majority are constantly out there having sex with different guys. Or am I (hopefully) all wrong about that?

I read this when I was walking outside about 10 minutes ago and I went weak at the knees...heh. Words can't express how happy it would make me if there was someone out there that actually liked me enough to cuddle out of the blue. But knowing how stupid I am I'd end up not admitting how much I'd like it.

I've been told I have terrible self esteem before. I tear myself down constantly and I should probably stop. But its definitely a habit when I feel like I've screwed something up or if someone rejects me. Pretty much tell myself I'm stupid, not worth it, boring, whatever describes the situation.

When I say cute as a button I once heard that phrase used to describe the dance instructor Travis Wall. And its true, he is very cute. I'm sure guys would be tripping over themselves to talk with him (even if he wasn't famous). :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

lol thats really cute, could have ended up like a game of dominos. But thats really sweet though. I hope someday I'll know what that feels like.. Is it comfortable? Did you feel secure? I'm so curious about it..

Thats part of the reason I want to move away and delete facebook..basically cut myself off from everyone to start out new somewhere. Somewhere where nobody knows me and just be open from the get-go. I feel like I am putting on a front to not offend anyone here and live the way they expect me to. I'd feel really awful about my parents or ex-girlfriend finding out for example.

If I leave this area and cut off contact then..they can remember me in a positive light?

How'd you meet your partner and some of the guys before that? Sorry if thats being rude..but maybe I could follow in your footsteps or at least have a lead as to where to begin.

My self esteem is awful. One rejection usually sends me into a verbal barrage of insults to myself and I go into my shell even further. Failing is part of life, but I don't handle it well..way worse than the average person anyway.

That's true. I think I hang onto all of the things I don't want just to appease people. I really am debating moving far away from here..

My confidence is awful right now. Need to get over it though..just hard to think someone would be interested in me. Thanks for the perspective.

No doubt all of those are possible. I kept blushing and looking at the floor when he would make eye contact. Probably came off as me not being interested. I'm an idiot
    Thanks for the post Todd..

---------- Post added 29th Dec 2013 at 08:01 PM ----------

Right back at you Aigis! :grin:

(This doesn't describe my feelings right now at all, but it makes me giggle so I wanna use it)
    :tantrum:
    I like when he bangs his fists, not quite sure what the rest of it is doing. Shaking his head and flipping someone off? Idk.. heh..

#35 mnlonely, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  16. Simple Thoughts

Don't feel bad I do the same. I'm trying to get over that though. I recently read 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins and it re-inspired my passion for reading a bit. So maybe I'll be book nerding it again soon :slight_smile:

Same here :slight_smile:

You will :slight_smile:

17. AKTodd

Not in my experience. Cuddling is just another form of intimacy, so why shouldn't males want it? They may call it different things (e.g., body contact, making out, foreplay),all of which can be rather broad terms and defined differently by different people. But even so the desire to be close and touching is a common denominator in all of them.

To come at this from another direction - when you saw the male/female couple that you mentioned earlier - did the guy look like he wasn't having any fun?

There are lots of gay guys who have sex with lots of different guys. But that's just one part of the overall 'gay community'. And even those guys may engage in cuddling as part of being with a given guy. Also, guys who like to sleep around don't necessarily choose to spend their whole lives doing that. A good friend of mine has (by his own estimate) had sex with hundreds of guys. Eventually he got tired of that and wanted a committed relationship, which he eventually found. He and his partner were together for 13yrs, until his partner passed away last year.

Other people want to meet someone ASAP and settle down with a single partner for the rest of their lives. And there are a whole range of people somewhere in between.

I'd also point out that straight society also has a large percentage of people who want to sleep around as much as possible. Straight society actually glorifies promiscuity and infidelity to a huge degree, when you really look at it. We could also look at the straight trope of having strippers dress up as under-age school girls (pigtails and giant lollipops) and such, and wonder what that says about the culture, but I digress.

Yeah, you put yourself down about 4 times just in these three paragraphs. Stop that :eusa_naug

If I could ask - why do you have such issues with your self-esteem? You haven't mentioned anything about yourself to lead me to think you are stupid, or anything else negative, in any way. I don't think you're stupid, and I don't see why you should feel that you are.

Is leaning off a barstool into the arms of another guy who's also on a barstool comfortable? It has it's moments:slight_smile: Although, it's also kind of awkward. I think that the pleasure of doing it sort of balanced the discomfort of trying not to fall/slip off the barstools:grin:.

Hrm. I'll admit I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, I've made two major moves in my life as part of hitting the giant 'Reset' button on my life. Once when I graduated HS and moved from AK to AZ to go to college, once when I moved from AZ to VA. So, I'm actually something of a fan of the idea of moving somewhere else as part of 'remaking' oneself or one's life to something that is more fulfilling or makes you happier.

OTOH, I'd also say that there comes a point where you have to live your life as you wish and as you are, without worrying about whether other people approve of it. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and suggest that perhaps they should be more worried about whether or not you approve of them.

I guess I'd say that if you want to move and hit the 'Restet' button on your life, then by all means go forth and conquer :thumbsup: But don't necessarily cut everyone you know out of your life and in the longer term plan to come out to them once you've built the life and foundation to feel strong enough to do so. Some will have a problem with it. Others won't or will even be actively supportive. You might be surprised:slight_smile:

I'd also suggest that if you simply exit all of your loved one's lives...they won't just sit and remember you in a positive light - they will be saddened and confused and hurt. And you may be hurt by your actions as well. Here's a link to a thread started by an EC member who did this kind of thing - it didn't really work out for him until he ended up restarting contact again:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/famil...84180-please-help-me-i-dont-know-what-do.html

No, it's not being rude:slight_smile: I met my partner online in a gay chat room. This was 17yrs ago or so, so there weren't things like dating sites or apps or anything like that. The internet was still based on dialup and such.

I'd just moved to VA and was staying with my best friend and her husband. She introduced me to the internet and chat rooms. I was sort of kicking around the web and came across the 'GayVA' chat room. Started talking with different guys, mostly just general conversation and getting to know each other. There was some flirting going on, but mostly just talking. One member had a strange screen name and so I asked him about it. Turns out it was the postal abbreviations for several states he'd lived in. Which led to talking about places we'd lived, including AZ. He'd also gone to college there, although he did grad school and at a different time from when I did my undergrad ed. That eventually led to a couple phone conversations and then dinner. I got home at 4:30 the next afternoon:slight_smile: We dated for about six to eight weeks before I moved in and we've been together ever since.

As far as the other guys I've had relationships with (as opposed to hookups, which I've done some of as well)...

a) Met two of them when I rented a room in a house with 5 other guys living in it. Over the period I was there, I had a brief (but VERY intense) relationship with one guy, and another relationship with a guy who moved in after the first guy moved out. The second guy and I ended up moving into our own place after I graduated and were together for three years.

b) Met one guy that I dated for a year (and still send Xmas cards to - I count him as a friend now) after I broke up with the 3yr guy and moved into a house with 3 other gay guys. He was the ex-boyfriend of one of my roommates (and his roommate/best friend was dating another one of my roommates - although they broke up shortly after I moved in). He came by to visit one day (they were still friends) and I thought he was very attractive. A month or two later, we were both at a party that someone in the larger group was throwing and I actually flirted with him (something I rarely ever did). We ended up making out in his car for a good bit (I thought it was funny to learn it is actually possible to steam up the windows in a car) and I went over to his house a week or so later and stayed the weekend. After that, we were a couple until just before I moved to VA (our breakup was due to distance - I'd been transferred to Phoenix by my job - and very amicable)

c) I met one guy via one of the aforementioned personal ads. He was a 'friend with benefits' or 'f**kbuddy' (take your pick) rather than someone I had any kind of romantic feelings for (and this was a situation he clearly stated as the only thing that would happen on the first night we met - and I was OK with that). But he was a really nice guy and the first guy I ever topped with. In some ways it was kind of refreshing knowing from the start that it would never be anything more than having some laughs (we went to the local gay bars and once or twice to a movie) and having sex. I stopped seeing him when I started seeing the guy mentioned above who I had a three year relationship with.

I'm not sure if any of that helps in any way, but hopefully it does. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Hmm. Given that the new year is coming up, perhaps it's a good time to resolve to work on that? As you say, failing is part of life. There will be people who reject you - not because you are a bad person, but just because you aren't their type. Some of them will be nice, some will be assholes, but it's just a part of life. I also take losing really badly, but I also know that this is part of my personality and have learned to work through it when I encounter that sort of situation.

Happy to help:slight_smile: Looking at your situation as you've described it, I'd like to suggest that learning to love and accept yourself would be a worthwhile first step toward accepting that someone could be interested in you. Could even love you.

Hope this helps,

Todd:slight_smile: