1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Smoking maybe cause gay babies, says neuroscientist

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HermioneGaynger, Jan 20, 2014.

1. KiddlesP

It is rather unfortunate that this article tells you absolutely nothing about the studies, but alas most popular media fails to understand what true science is.

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dr. Dick Swaab's (dick swab?) research isn't presented at all in the article; all it says is that he said it. Is the news source at all reputable? It doesn't even look like a real news company.

Are you sure it's not satire? :lol:

3. Sitri

Unfortunately, Dr. Swaab is a real man. Most notable for his appearance in the critically acclaimed documentary "Are All Men Pedophiles?"

4. It's not satire. He just proposed it, he hasn't actually studied it yet.

5. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is false and just plain stupid. They are trying to compare homosexuality with an unhealthy lifestyle. Proof that the study is incorrect is gay babies are born to people all over the world, including in religious communities where they view smoking and drinking as bad. Smoking has also decreased while the amount of gay babies born has stayed steady. This same study says that it also lowers the IQ, which is also a lie and sounds like they are trying to imply that gay people have low IQ's. I actually read a long discussion about this from another place and everyone pretty much seems to agree that this study is incorrect. Don't fall for it.

#6 ShadowSpirit26, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Correlational, not causal.

I know from previous readings that he's of the opinion that varying levels of chemical exposure in the womb environment can at the very least set a template of brain development for the to-be human (which would then interact with the person's environmental exposure, etc. etc.).

Make of it what you will - I'm not a trained neuroscientist, so.

Cannot find the specific study...they don't even name it - makes it difficult to find.

#7 Browncoat, Jan 20, 2014
  7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well that's definitely strange. I don't even see how they would study that... :confused: It's fake for sure, anyway. This 'study' seems to be saying homosexuality is a defect of some sort. Well neither of my parents smoke, or have ever smoked, so I don't think this is the case in my situation...

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's in the same vein as all the other 'Do X and it could affect your baby'. Sure it probably CAN affect your still growing baby, but EVERYTHING you do affects your still growing baby that's the whole POINT.

Even if he DID manage to prove a link between smoking and gay babies, it's not like it makes any difference. The tobacco people would shoot that down faster than you can say it out loud, you could only say for certain that it had SOME affect since clearly it isn't the only thing that causes it, and it doesn't suggest you can cure it either. Just that it's there before birth, which if anything is what we've been saying all along...

9. suninthesky

This.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to say it... from his name, he should be an STI testing technician.

Now, that said... is the guy dumb as rocks? Common sense tells us that there's no correlation. If there were, we would have seen a *much* higher incidence of gay children in the 1950s and 1960s than today, because smoking rates were much higher then.

And currently, we'd see a much higher incidence of gay offspring in African-American families, and in Japan, because smoking rates are higher among African-Americans, and in Japan, than they are here. There's no evidence of either.

I really wonder how some people ever earned their degrees. When somebody is saying stuff like this, it's pretty obvious he's lacking the most basic understanding of research methods.

11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait what? I thought it was ask a problem, make a hypothesis, test the hypothesis then draw conclusions (revisit hypothesis)? I've been doing this whole scientific method backwards!:eusa_doh:

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother never smoked a thing. Next.

13. Lipstick Leuger

I am sure there are lots of things that could cause gay babies. However, my Mother did not smoke or go around it when pregnant with me, and the one kid of mine that is gay was never exposed before or after birth to smoke in any form. Go figure.

14. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ignore the stupidity and enjoy life. That's all I am gonna do. Simple as that. Rumors, stereotypes, desperate cries to end equality for all will just fall on deaf ears. No matter what any bigot says we are on the right side of history.

15. PurpleGrey

I've actually heard the older brother theory in an educational film of questionable intention.

In any case, to say that anything increases probability of homosexuality in utero is damn stupid. Yes, lots of what mothers do affect their babies, and unhealthy habits are quite likely to affect IQ, but it does no good to suggest such habits affect sexuality. This so-called scientist is off his rocker. Homosexuality is like left-handedness; it just happens.

16. Ticklish Fish

maybe he needed that publicity, or grant, idk. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

seeing that Metro is a UK(?) news, can't apply american school system over there. maybe some people just pin their head on books for most of life?

17. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's funny!

Huh, now do I pass out cigarettes to pregnant ladies? I'm conflicted and confused...

#18 HuskyPup, Jan 20, 2014
  18. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It seems possible. Keep in mind homosexuality happens inside the womb. Drinking and smoking while pregnant messes with the fetus womb, and it affects the baby. This claim could be try, theoretically. But it would need to be studied before jumping to any conclusions.

Also, why are people angry about this? This isn't a bad study... he's telling us a theory on how homosexuals are born. He's not one of those ass hats that just call us sinners and say we choose a gay lifestyle.

19. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it just seems a bit offensive that he's linking bad health habits to homosexuality, without even any explanation for why he says this and how he tested this theory.

---------- Post added 20th Jan 2014 at 07:26 PM ----------

I agree with this.