1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Similarities Of Anxiety And Sexual Arousal

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by chopinfan88, Aug 10, 2014.

1. chopinfan88

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello Everyone,

I have a question that is somewhat related to sexual orientation. Are there any similarities between feeling anxiety and sexual arousal?

Through help on this site I have come to realize that I have a mild case of HOCD, or Gay OCD (in my case, Straight OCD :lol:slight_smile:. I know that I am gay, have always found men attractive, but now know that I have a fear of being straight. I have had this on and off for many years. It scares the hell out of me! My HOCD is now something that I am working on getting rid of.

My question is being asked because I have noticed a similarity in how I feel when I have anxiety, and when I am sexually aroused. The feelings that my HOCD cause are almost identical to what I feel when sexually aroused, minus physical aspects of coarse.

Should there be a similarity in these two feelings, or is my mind screwing with me even more?

Thanks,
    Jonathan

2. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anxiety in all forms often manifests itself viscerally as a fight or flight response. Is that what you are experiencing?

3. chopinfan88

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello Kai LD,

Thank you for the response and the link. Yes, I do believe that this type of fight or flight response is what I am experiencing when I say anxiety. Although it may not be the exact emotion that I experience when sexually aroused, they do seem similar. Perhaps I am just confusing two different emotions.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

4. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It very well could be. I am still struggling with issues I gave myself by trying to fit in. Anxiety is pretty darn constant for me in some form.

5. bitchstewie

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Oh that's a familia feeling. :-(
    I would get anxiety at potential sexual encounters, which is what led me to think I'm gay.
    I mean if everyone felt like this, would anyone try and sleep with the opposite sex. To confuse matters more though, I've yet to be attracted to the same sex....