1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silence

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Jan 28, 2022.

1. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you feel about silence? Do you find it awkward and necessary to fill with speech, music, television - or something else, or do you appreciate silence and find it soothing and relaxing?

How about silence in the presence of others?

Just interested to know how people feel about silence.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I'm in a social situation with someone or many people, silence stresses me out.

If I'm home alone, or driving alone, it really depends. Sometimes it's nice to be fully aware I'm alone and just relax or go able things in silence. Sometimes I gotta play those tunes

3. Loves books

I don’t mind silence especially around other people. I don’t like silence at home in the middle of the night because every small noise will scare me so I listen to music or watch something online. When the sun is up silence is okay. I actually got annoyed when my sister visited because she’s a loud person and I wanted to be left alone in the quiet. Maybe the fact that she’s an extrovert and I’m an introvert has something to do with it. Im perfectly happy alone and quiet.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I quite like, not to say love, silence, in particular when I am at home after a long, busy day and on weekends. But it does depend because while I prepare and have either breakfast, lunch or dinner, I will listen to the radio. I regularly read on weekends and during weekday evenings, which I can only do in silence.

On days where I feel I don't need as much relaxation or quiet time, I'm good with speech, music or watching something online.

In social situations, I prefer it if there aren't long stretches of silences.

5. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For work, I prefer silence so that I can concentrate, but that’s only since I’ve been predominately working from home. In the office, I used to have my headphones in a lot, or the radio was usually on. If I’m home alone (and not working), I often like a bit of background noise, but at other times I really enjoy the quiet.

With other people, I think it depends who it is and how well I know them. I can sit in a comfortable silence with some people, and feel the need to fill the silence with others.

6. LilLady9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure why, but I can't stand silence when I'm with someone or alone. Whether it's a fan, tv, etc, there is always noise. I think this might be beacuse I'm afraid to be alone with my thoughts? Not sure. I also think it might be because we live in such a loud world and have become accustomed to noise, to the point silence seems weird... Everytime I'm faced with complete silence I get a weird feeling.

7. LilLady9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would like to challenge everyones idea of silence. When you reference silence, I assume you're refering to true silence, no noise, not a single peep. From my understanding, this only happpens when we're out in nature with no technology, electronics, etc.

8. LilLady9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you achive silence? Please help me lol. Do you live outdoors or somrthing haha? Maybe I don't understand what everyone means by silence.

#8 LilLady9, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  9. LilLady9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I'm taking your question n the literal sense lol

10. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes, I like silence. In the right quantities. Indeed for those of us living in modern 21st Century cities snatches of occasional silence can be nothing less than divine. They provide pauses to reflect and ponder and, most importantly, dream, which, I think, are essential for us if we are to thrive individually and collectively.

But extended silence? No thank you. I think of it in the same way as the countryside. A weekend away is fantastic, but actually living there? It would drive me bonkers.

Beth

11. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like silence, when I really need to concentrate on work or want to be by myself and think, but silence also can be deafening, so then I like to put on music or listen podcasts or go where other people are, just so I wouldn't have to be in silence.

12. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's how I feel about this question. Even in a quiet room, there's always at least a little bit of sound. Lights buzzing, birds outside, the wind in the trees, creaking (especially in old houses), a ticking clock, and so on. There's something unnerving about complete silence. It feels wrong. Some noises are comforting, such as rain on a roof. Or distant traffic.

I could never go into one of those sensory deprivation tanks / pods. The very thought of that makes me uncomfortable, being stuck in a small space with no stimulation whatsoever. I'd lose it. Sometimes I play one of those office ambience videos when I'm working so I'm not tempted to walk off.

#12 Canterpiece, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  13. Loves books

Being out in nature is not true silence. Where I live I hear the birds singing and the wind shaking the trees and even the rain makes noise. You can hear the cows in the fields and they get fairly loud sometimes. I’m five miles up a mountain surrounded by fields and trees and here nature isn’t silent. The feral cats sound like crying children at night and the wind makes a roaring sound when it’s strong enough. I don’t think silence is achievable in nature.

14. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Silence doesn't have to mean complete silence. I mean, the buzz of a fridge or chirp of a garden bird isn't going to shatter the peace!

15. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Complete silence is impossible to achieve, unless you are in a place built that is fully insulated from the outside or any noise, though there is such a place that was built to achieve that... Even in nature, silence doesn't exist. There is always ambient noise, or something that will disturb the silence. As Patrick mentioned in his opening post, silence in this context is defined as the absence of speech, music, television, etc... so things that could be distracting to some or prevent someone from relaxing or having some down time.

Silence for me is not having anything on that I find distracting like a TV, music, or the radio while wanting to achieve a deeper state of relaxation. :slight_smile:

16. LilLady9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I had a few too many drinks last night, and was acting a bit obnoxious, so please excuse me.

17. LilLady9

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well said.

18. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I went in an anechoic chamber once and thought it was so cool. It's a little unnerving after a while if you're not used to it.

19. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am all over the place. Sometimes I need to fill up my space with sound, so I don't have to be trapped with my own thoughts. Other times I want quiet so I can hear myself think. Sometimes I want people to shut up and stop bugging me and other times I hate the awkward silences.

20. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I’ve had a long day, silence is great. If I’m stressed, silence is best. When I’m anxious, which thankfully doesn’t happen too much anymore, then I need music or background noise.