1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shower without shampoo *gasp*

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nikky DoUrden, Sep 20, 2015.

?

Do you use shampoo ?

1. Only green/natural/chemical-free shampoo

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. Nope, not using it at all

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Yes, using shampoo

56 vote(s)
    81.2%
  4. Other (???)

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wash my hair with normal shampoo every few days, but I condition my hair everyday. I just use normal shampoo because I use so much product in my hair that there's really no use.

2. thepandaboss

Yeah, it's because when you shampoo all the time you're power blasting all the natural oils out of it.

Here's how I choose shampoo? Is it affordable? Is it anti-dandruff? Bing, it's bought.

3. 741852963

Ive tried it myself, gave up.

Basically, yes the science is there. Yes you do not need shampoo as the scalp can self-clean. HOWEVER, this takes weeks, and for some people months to re-balance. In the interim you will probably have matted, greasy hair, your scalp will feel disgusting, it might smell, and it will be hard to style. If you can get through that stage, congratulations, but most do give up*.

On "natural" and "organic" shampoo: don't be a sucker. 99% of these products state they are naturally derived as a selling point when really they contain the exact same detergents found in regular shampoo (which are largely derived from coconuts, like the sulfates). Just because something is natural, does not necessarily make it superior. And organic? How would that make any difference to your hair anyway, it is all marketing. Really you are best ignoring the claims of natural and organic and instead focus on finding a very gentle shampoo. Products without silicones are a good idea too as silicones can coat the hair and make it greasier.

*Some people do use bicarbonate of soda to clean and rinse with diluted apple cider to neutralise during this period BUT bicarb is an alkaline and really quite harsh and abrasive (the skin on your scalp should ideally be kept slightly acidic), and whilst the apple cider rinse may neutralise this alkalinity, believe me it stinks. People claim the smell goes away once the hair dries BUT 1. if you are like me and leave hair to air dry that is a long time to smell like vinegar, 2. I was paranoid and convinced I smelled like vinegar all day, 3. if it rains and your hair gets wet again guess what? Yup, vinegar.

One good option: Green People's products. Yes they do fall into that category of advertising as natural and organic which I am obviously highly critical of BUT their products are basic, simple (no weird colourants or ingredients for the sake of it), and fragrance-free so they tend to do the job without irritation. Plus the products are biodegradable which I do think is quite commendable. I'll give them that!

#43 741852963, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  4. Nikky DoUrden

You seem knowledgable about the subject :grin:
    Why do you say though that 'green' products are not effective ? are they less effective than 'non-green' ones ? the way I see it the green products may just not harm as much as the chemical ones.

The poll shows ~20% not using normal-shampoo and most of the 80% who do, don't use it every day which is enlightening for me because I thought shampoo should be used every day :grin:
    So thanks everyone who participated in the poll :thumbsup:

5. Joelouis

I wash my hair every other day.

Try washing your hair with Johnsons Baby Oil (or the equivolent) and report back the results!

6. Justinian20

I shampoo every day, since I worked out shampooing my hair every night causes me to have less ear infections. It used to be a problem but it isn't anymore.

7. lettuce

I use shampoo every fortnight, but not to wash my hair. I use it to draw a pentagram so I can summon the follicle demon, who keeps my hair lustrous and voluminous as long as I keep sacrificing goats to her.

8. UniqueJourney

I have a very sensitive scalp so I've been trying various alternatives to the harsh, chemical-filled shampoos for the past 7-8 years.

I've tried the no shampoo method twice and it just isn't for me. Not only does it leave my hair very greasy looking but it makes my scalp itch like crazy. This last time I really tried to give it a go, but after a week I just couldn't take it any more. If my head hurts, it's time to try something else.

On the organic shampoo front, I've tried just about every brand I can get my hands on. Only one has made my scalp feel really good, but it left my hair feeling oily and unclean.

Even using organic shampoos my scalp will still start to react after a while so I generally have to switch organic shampoos every 6 - 9 months. Oddly, the rest of my body is not sensitive like my scalp is.