1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shower without shampoo *gasp*

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nikky DoUrden, Sep 20, 2015.

?

Do you use shampoo ?

1. Only green/natural/chemical-free shampoo

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. Nope, not using it at all

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Yes, using shampoo

56 vote(s)
    81.2%
  4. Other (???)

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. Nikky DoUrden

Hey ECers!

Iv'e been wondering - do we REALLY need to use shampoo which contains not the most healthy chemicals ?
    I searched on the web and saw people saying they stopped using shampoo with only good results.
    One of the sites I saw - Showering Without Soap or Shampoo: My 3-Month Experiment – Disrupting the Rabblement

I intend to try it myself, but I wonder what you all think and maybe if some of you already don't use shampoo, or maybe using only Natural/Organic one ?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I only wash my hair twice a week and everyone compliments how nice my hair looks so I figured that must be it.

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

That's really interesting actually. I'd never really thought about that. I personally use shampoo all the time. I feel like I need to because I don't like the feeling of having greasy hair but I thought it was interesting that the article said after a while your hair will stop being greasy without shampoo. Maybe I'll try it sometime? Probably not but maybe:slight_smile: I wouldn't mind trying organic shampoo sometime though.

4. wolf of fire

I might actually try this, I question a lot of stuff we do but this hasn't popped up before.

5. Nikky DoUrden

I read some of the comments of people and they verify that it takes the hair like a week or two to adjust for not using a shampoo, but after that, hair won't be greasy as we might think!
    Some people even suggest that the use of shampoo by itself caused their hair to be greasy and when they stopped using shampoo, problem solved, so this is interesting at the very least :slight_smile:

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I only use shampoo twice a week. My scalp is really dry and a lot of shampoos irritate it :/ So I'm still searching for less harsh shampoos :lol:

7. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wash my hair once a week due to my hair being very thick and long. (Ah, it's not gross or anything. It stays quite clean, unless I spend time outdoors. In that case I wash it more often) And I've been doing it that often since I was a child, so yeah, my hair rarely gets greasy. There was this one time I was traveling abroad for a while and couldn't wash it for a long while, and it only started getting greasy after two weeks. I'm looking into organic shampoo, but I like what I'm using because I don't use it too often.

8. xxCHAOTIC

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    We have organic shampoos, but they strip the color out of my hair more. So I went back to a conventional.

My roommate did the no shampoo thing and it went pretty well for him though. He has the wildest, poorest, longest hair ever.

9. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmmmm that's interesting. I could try it sometime. Would save me the money I spend on the huge amount of shampoo I use :dead:

10. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Once every two weeks I use Bumble & Bumble - Seaweed shampoo to cleanse the scalp (I also have a dry scalp). About twice a week I use The Naked Bee shampoo, which is almost completely organic and has no harsh chemicals at all. It kinda smells like Dr. Pepper ironically. Great stuff! When I had really long hair I washed it 2 or 3 times a week. I do recommend washing hair once or twice a week, but every scalp/hair is different, so use to your preference.

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In recent years, I've used the more or less green type shampoos. I've been mostly happy; however, I recently went back to conventional due to cost. 3 small sampler bottles later, I'm thinking the conventional was probably a bad idea--my hair feels worse than it did before.

As far as skipping soap, there are times I've done that, although it's not a consistent thing. Recently, my showers have mostly been after swimming, and so I use soap, hoping it removes pool chemicals.

My soap use, however, is locked into the more natural type soaps, since I think it's likely easier on my skin. Current shower soap is a simple soap made with olive oil. I am now wondering what would happen if I used that soap on my hair.

12. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Very interesting topic, I try to use products that have less chemicals and that weren't tested on animals! With that said, I try to wash my hair with shampoo every few days.

13. Formality

I use shampoo and conditioner about once a week or else my hair gets really oily and nasty. So technically I use shampoo, but then again it's only once every 7 showers. If I do it more often my hair feels dry and weird.

#13 Formality, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  14. mangotree

I haven't used shampoo for about 5 years ...
    But I think - if I had hair - I'd probably want the more natural/organic options.
    I still haven't found a skin moisturiser that feels right on my head either natural or otherwise.

15. AlamoCity

I usually shower about twice a day and I learned that using shampoo every time made my hair feel dry. So now I only use shampoo once a day and only use about a quarter-sized portion for my hair.

For body soap I mostly now use Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Liquid Soap (organic). I actually like it because it rinses off cleanly and leaves no skin residue.

16. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I shampoo my hair every other day because I can't stand the grease on it. I should probably get some dry shampoo or something so it won't look oily.

17. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^ Dr. Bronner's soap (liquid or bar) is awesome! I really like the lemon/citrus scent.

Since I forgot to mention body soap in my previous post: Recently I have been using Zum or Rinse Co. soaps. Both are completely all natural. Rinse makes a Cabernet Sav soap that is AMAZING. It smells great, rinses and cleans very smoothly. Zum makes a blackberry sage soap that is equally awesome. It does not feel good paying 7-8$ a bar when I need soap tho. I switched to all natural/organic soaps about 5 years ago and noticed a major difference after 2 months. I know that drinking H20 all the time (as it is my favorite drink since childhood) really helps your skin stay clear, cool and smooth, so drink more water everyone! Below is a link to both soaps' websites:

Zum Bar Soap
    Welcome to Rinse Bath & Body, Fresh Natural Handmade Bath & Body Products

#17 BigGayAlex, Sep 20, 2015
  18. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I shower once a day (though sometimes I skip Friday night) and I use cleaner shampoo then normal because chemicals in normal shampoo makes my acne go wonky. If I don't wash my hair one night the next day it gets kinda greasy. I once went three days without showering... My hair suffered

19. TraceElement

I just picked up a bar shampoo and conditioner from Lush a few weeks ago, around the same time I got a really short haircut. I started shampooing every other day, and seems to be working well. Historically though, I use Pantine, Garnier fructis, VO5, or Suave.

#19 TraceElement, Sep 20, 2015
  20. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I shower and shampoo my hair everyday, more as a therapeutic activity than a necessity for my hair. I use those big shampoo pump bottles of whichever brand is on sale; currently, Dove brand. It lathers up really nicely, and just feels very nice. I would love to switch to something all-natural, but it's so damn expensive.