1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Shave My Legs?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by PurpleRain, Mar 22, 2013.

1. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, this probably seems kinda silly to post about but I'm serious. I really want to shave (it might relieve some of the dysphoria), but I'm afraid of the weird looks if someone were to notice. My hair is blonde anyway so it wouldn't be really noticeable plus I never wear shorts because I look awful in shorts. I'm worried about my girlfriend feeling my legs or something and being like "WTF why is there no hair?? Did you shave your legs!?" then I get harassed by her and her friends for the rest of my life... :frowning2:

Sooo... Should I? If so how can I hide it if she tries to feel up my legs?

(I feel like I'm weird for even posting this. Lol)

2. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I know it's the opposite.. but I don't shave at all. Haven't shaved my legs, arms, face, or pits, and it's helped me with my dysphoria.

I'd say go for it, if it helps. Don't mind what anyone else thinks, and if you're girlfriend notices.. just tell her? Or make a joke such as, "I don't know, I got bored and wanted to". You mention that you don't wear shorts anyway, so I doubt that anyone would notice. And hair always grows back, if you feel uncomfortable about it.

Do what makes you feel better. (*hug*)

3. PurpleRain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you! I just worry about it because she notices everything It makes me uncomfortable sometimes... I'll just tell her I lost a bet with my cousin or something. Lol :grin:

4. Just Jess

This used to be something I argued with my girlfriend over too right after I came out. At first I used to shave just the upper part and then got some long socks, so my boxers would cover the unshaved parts in boy mode. Except around the knee but there wasn't a lot of hair down there anyway. I still couldn't wear anything decent enough to take selfie pictures in that way but just the act of shaving helped a lot.

Of course you could always start swimming and use that excuse.

(*hug*) Sometimes things are hard enough that I forget how much harder they were when I was in the closet about everything. Hang in there.

5. Yui

Yui

Go for it if you want to! :slight_smile:

Just tell your girlfriend you like it better that way or whatever you want to. I actually have a few (female) friends whose boyfriends shave their legs because they (the bf's) think they're too hairy - nothing weird about it :slight_smile:

6. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Go ahead and shave if it makes you feel good. It's 100% totally okay.

As for people noticing, my brother who is as straight as they come shaved his underarms and legs for a few awhile as a teen. He just liked the look of it better. I think he only stopped because of the effort to keep it up. He kept up with his underarms way longer than he did with his legs. He shaved his underarms for years. No one thought anything about this was strange, and I'd totally forgotten he did it until I just read your post.

7. PurpleRain

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just got done! And I only nicked myself twice around the ankles! :grin: It's amazing how a little hair (or lack thereof) can make such a difference in dysphoria. I feel much better!

8. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course you should hun! Shaving your legs will make you feel a lot better. And there are plenty of guys out there who shave their legs just as much as women. If your girlfriend throws a fit just show her a picture of a bare-chested Robin Williams and ask if she'd prefer being with that. :lol: I would recommend waxing instead though; it lasts much longer and doesn't require as much maintenance. Granted it is way more painful to do, but it sure beats the feeling of 2 day leg stubble if you decide to skip. DX

Ack! I came in late again. T^T Gosh darned my OCD novel writing tendencies. XP

9. Just Jess

Unless you're allergic to it like me :frowning2: I've tried sugaring and it works okay but I usually just shave in the shower.

Good on you for shaving them :slight_smile: I agree it is an amazing help waking up in the morning to that.

10. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It makes me feel better to shave my body. I shave pretty much everywhere a girl does (excluding pubes because I still haven't found a good way to get that done). Be aware however that your hair will most likely regrow quickly so shave regularly is possible (I miss five days and the stubble gets bad, really bad).

Also, I have known a few guys that simply don't like hair on their bodies. I think you could be fine with simply saying that you don't like hair if she found out but I'm not shure if In your area it is the same.

Quick tip- It seems to me that it is harder to reach behind the legs so I have to spend extra time with that. And you might want to be careful about the ankles and the area on your legs right behind at the back of the knees (where I used to nick myself most often so I think there may be something to those).

PS- Don't feel weird for posting something like this. I was there too just recently and would have loved advice on things like this.

11. WhiteRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If shaving makes you feel happy, do it! Period.
    Shaving personally doesn't make me feel happy at all (apart from that it's a chore to keep it up, and it feels HORRIBLE when it starts to regrow. And I hate how the skin in my armpits rubs together without hair) I feel a bit awkward about my armpit hair, because I know it's 'inappropriate' for girls, and even my friends told my a couple of times "Eww that's gross" "Get rid of that you girl" etc. but I simply refuse to shave it.
    And I like my leg hair and 'private-place-hair' way too much to shave it off. No one called me a hairy monkey yet... XD I'm just kinda attached to my hair (freaky, I know. But it's true. I wouldn't say this in ANY other space than this one. Too many judgemental ppl who think 'girls should shave').
    But if you want to shave it off, you should definitely do it! :wink: And what SpiritFire said, don't feel weird, really, don't. That's what we're here for, right? :slight_smile:

12. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah the ankles, the achilles tendon, and behind the knees are super easy areas to accidentally maul yourself. Try using less pressure there than you use on other areas. That should keep nicking to a minimum. Also, make sure you're using a quality razor. The super cheap one-blade disposable drug store brand is just a bloody leg waiting to happen.

I'm glad you gave shaving a chance, and that it makes you feel better! :thumbsup: