1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

should I play by ear w/ this "straight" guy? Falling for me?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ScottDavid, Feb 6, 2019.

1. ScottDavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So i have this friend whom I had been friends for over a year. We pretty much connected instantly. The thought of him being gay has always been in the back of my mind, but I never said anything because its pretty private shit. But lately, the urge and the need to know if he's gay has been growing. Now, I do identify myself as straight; however, this guy is just so special, and I'd be pretty incredible to know he'd like someone like me. I honestly feel like he has feelings for me. It's just the stuff he does for me, i dont imagine doing them for anyone unless i have feelings for that person. He's bought me multiple dinners at fancy restaurants. I'd try to offer to pay, but he would just say "lol good luck with that". Whenever we would agree to hang at mine, he'd always call ahead to see what I'd want to eat, and he would then pick the food up before coming over. I'd always ask how much do i owe him, but he'd just look like me funny and say "a movie is payment enough". He has also cooked dinner for us, multiple times actually. Each time more obvious he spends hours in the kitchen. Really, the meals look like restaurant dishes. He even said he spent about 8 hours once cooking for us lol. He would then walk me back to my place. He has said some of the stuff he does for me, he wouldnt do for every other friend. When he jokes, he would occasionally slap lightly at my lap (while me wearing shorts). He did say he get hit on by guys a lot, but he expressed he'd have to turn them down because he's "not really gay". He did say once that people tell him that he is too nice, and he explains that he doesnt want people to have expectations of him because of how "nice" he is. He then said that i was different, and it's fine for me to have expectations of him because we were "close" and he'd do those things for me. Now, he has never made a move on me. Although he did put his arm around me one time when we were high (Canada, its leagl), I grabbed his arm and put it back tho. Later that week, our conversation somehow circled back to the putting your arm thing around someone without mentioning it in our context. He explained that how he hates north Americans (sorry yall) are so insecure and keep labeling things, like how two guys cant cuddle without being called gay. He's british and expressed that he cuddles with his European friends because it's just a thing, not a sexual or romantic thing, but a thing. He then said that putting your arm around someone isnt sexual or romantic. I felt he said that on purpose? Almost like, "look i want tryna get with ya mate". Our friendship was never awkward or weird, I just keep swallowing the things he throw at me (very gladly) and wondering. What do you guys think?

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That doesn't sound like a straight person to me. Particularly the cuddling European guy friends thing...I'm pretty sure that's not any more normal there than it is here.

3. ScottDavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lol i dont get it at all either, but apparently its an European thing

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will say to me it does sound European. I've heard a lot of people talk about how odd it is how reluctant American men are to show any affection for each other and I have often found it confusing how European men hang all over each other...

5. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So why don't you cuddle with him and see where it goes?

6. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Destin here - He doesn't sound very straight, even if showing affection to your male friends is a "thing" in Europe. The things he's done for you is similar to the things that heterosexual couples do for each other. In my humble opinion, he's trying to hint at something. What that "something" is, is anyone's guess though. He clearly values your friendship, but I also think that there's more to it than just friendship. You know, when someone over-exaggerates something, it's usually due to an underlying thing/issue/feeling. He goes out of his way to mention friends/friendship a lot, and it's a little bit over the top in a way. Of course we could be very, very wrong in our assumptions, but really, that doesn't sound like "just" friendship to me...

Destin likes this.
  7. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like he might not be as straight as he says. If you're ok with it then cuddle, hug, etc and see what happens.

8. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hum, go for it. Try cuddling and see where it goes. You have nothing to lose. Your friend may nervous or a bit in denial. It does sound as if he is sending you signals.