1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I move into student accommodation?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Canterpiece, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pros- More independence. Good practice for the future. Would meet new people and have a chance at a social life.

Cons- scary and expensive. Would have to leave family behind. I am a picky eater and this might get on flatmate's nerves.

Could get stuck with overly loud, obnoxious individuals. Lots to learn and consider during this process. I could get stuck with a smoker (overly sensitive sense of smell+ asthma+ smoke on people's clothes= not a good combination).

Perhaps private accommodation is the way to go? Or should I go in halls? I could just stay at home, but then I would have a longer commute, not that long though, and I could always try to find a group to get involved in here so then I could try to meet more people and have something to do, although there isn't much where I am.

Hmm. I don't know what to do.

Please help.

2. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started in halls and moved home part way through my first year. I commuted from home for the remainder of my time at university. I did miss out on some of the social aspects (I don't drink, so wasn't into the club/party thing anyway), but stayed with friends when I needed to. I contributed to outgoings whilst at home, but it was still much cheaper than living in halls.

From my experience, it depends who you end up living with - they might become life-long friends, or you might not get on. However, you won't know who you'll be living with until you're there. I got on really well with a few of the people I lived with, but when my closest friend left university, I felt very lonely in halls. Over the course of the year, we became closer to people on our degree courses than the people we lived with. I'm only in touch with close friend from my degree course, but other people have different experiences.

As for homesickness and family, I was really worried about this, but after about six-eight weeks it goes away. I was advised not to go home for the first two months - I don't know where this came from - but I think the idea is to get all the homesickness out of the way rather than drag it out.

Canterpiece likes this.
  3. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for your reply. :slight_smile: I like the username, btw.

Yeah, homesickness is a concern.

Sometimes it just dawns on me..."Wait, I'm an adult" and it can feel surreal, almost as if I was eleven yesterday and now I'm suddenly in adulthood. To me, it still seems bizarre that I could now start learning to drive, or move into student accommodation and that would be legal. I guess in a sense, I feel a bit like an imposter. :laughing:

Lately I've been experiencing something akin to homesickness, despite the fact I haven't left home yet. I've been thinking about how much I appreciate my parents being there for me, and the summer holidays we have had together as a family. Then, I realise that this section of my life won't last forever and that one day I'll move out for good, and not just for University. It's still odd to think about that, sure it's a little while off in the future now, but now and then I think about it and it still seems strange.

That's the scary part, not knowing who you'll end up with. If I did move into halls for the first year, then I'm not sure what I would do for the remaining years of my course. From my understanding, they allow you to stay in halls for the first year, and then you have to move elsewhere, correct? Perhaps I would move into private accommodation, or move back home. :thinking:

My parents seem hesitant about the idea of me moving into accommodation, and I think the fact that it's possible that my sister could potentially move out (she's already finished University and has a job) whilst I'm at University could be a contributing factor to their hesitance, it must be a daunting prospect to have both of your children move elsewhere.

I currently go to University, I'm not far off finishing a foundation year and in September I'll be starting a full degree.

Recently, I checked with my University's accommodation centre, and they do allow foundation students to apply for halls, as they do not count the foundation year courses as a student's first year. :slight_smile:

I'm still not entirely sure though, on the one hand it would be a good learning experience, but on the other you have expenses and potentially terrible roommates. My anxiety worries that I could get stuck with an axe murder or something, although that's probably not likely. :fearful:

4. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm having the same problem despite having to travel ridiculous distances to school. My family is running short on money. 4 months(1 semester) of staying in residence would blow 2.5 months worth of my family's income. Also we're not "poor enough" to receive financial aids to cover that. Also my borderline obsessive mother doesn't want to let go of me. So it lowers my chances of moving out from her house, ever.

I'd say definitely find a place in/near school if you have to travel far distances like me. Some people I know, including me, travel 4~5 hours back and forth. Don't do this.

Imo I'd love to move out and live in the residence. It puts you in the situation where you become a wiser, better person. You learn to manage your own money, and do things on your own. Eventually we're going to have to do it when we get a job and maybe get married. When that time comes, we want to do it well.

Edit: If you're worried about your roommate, you request to change them if they cause any harm.

#4 Nightlight, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Canterpiece likes this.
  5. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. :slight_smile:

I think a lot of people feel like this. I've got a daughter of my own now and I still feel like this at times. Nobody really knows what they're doing!!

From my experience, most people finish university very unwilling to move back home. I'm really referring to those that stay away for the entire 3/4 years. They get used to the independence.

At my university, we were sent a questionnaire about interests, dislikes, etc. before moving in. It was essentially meant to match groups of people up so you'd be with somebody that you had something in common with. Your university might do something similar.

I didn't do it, but most people developed a friendship group during the first/second terms and then found private accommodation together. Everybody will be in the same position and there's loads of accommodation in university cities. Some people stayed in same accommodation for third year and some changed accommodation/roommates. It's a useful experience if you're planning on renting with people after university, like if you end up with a job miles from home.

Yes, that's normally how it works. I think there are some private accommodation companies, normally in big cities. They're essentially set up a bit like halls - lots of students in a big building - but not run by the university.

Congratulations! And best of luck with the next step!! :slight_smile:

I think that's unlikely. :slight_smile: University accommodation (i.e. halls) is generally quite secure. It was at my university. But there were loads of horror stories about break ins, etc. with the private accommodation.

Canterpiece likes this.
  6. DCSC

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I went to University 200 miles away from home and stayed in acommodation for all 3 years I was there. First year was in halls where I got my own room in a block and shared a kitchen. Throughout my firsy year I (eventually) made friends and with these friends I rented house in my 2nd and 3rd year. I would describe my experience as positive overall, I loved the independence and although I was homesick at first after a few weeks it faded away and I enjoyed every minute of my time at uni and believe a big part of that was because I made it on my own.

Cons- scary and expensive. Would have to leave family behind.

Yes it is scary! But it will be worth it, the life experiences you will have will put you in good stead for the future. The expensive side of things can be played around with - first year I'm guessing you have a choice of student halls or a house share with others? You may find a house share will be the cheaper option, depending on how many of you there are and what area you're looking at? Personally I would go for halls in your first year because it's easier to make friends and you'll find so many people are in the same boat as yourself. Bills are all sorted in one payment and there's no messing about with who's paying for what etc.

I am a picky eater and this might get on flatmate's nerves.

Having housemates doesn't necessarily mean you have to eat together. In my 2nd and 3rd year we rarely ate together and usually cooked for ouselves. In halls there was a communal kitchen on each floor and I ate what I wanted, when I wanted!

Could get stuck with overly loud, obnoxious individuals. Lots to learn and consider during this process. I could get stuck with a smoker (overly sensitive sense of smell+ asthma+ smoke on people's clothes= not a good combination).

Again, this is why I would choose halls over house in first year. The people you meet and the friends you make can then possibly be you housemates in 2nd and 3rd year (if that's an option). No nasty surprises in terms of characters/habits etc. Although do remember that even sharing a house with friends isn't all smiles and perfect, it comes with challenges!

Hope this makes sense?

#6 DCSC, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Canterpiece likes this.
  7. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My commute isn't that far, if you count the time spent travelling via bus and train, it's about an hour and thirty minutes getting there. However, it can be annoying on days where a certain tutor wishes to see me and I don't have any lessons scheduled that day, because sometimes I only have to go in for thirty minutes, and then I have to spend another hour and thirty minutes travelling back just for that thirty minutes (or less). That doesn't account for any bus or train delays though.

If I do live in halls, it would shorten my commute, and it would certainly make moments like the one above less annoying.

Currently I have a student loan, although I haven't applied for one that covers next year yet though, and would probably qualify for a maintenance loan, so I would be able to fund myself. It's a shame about your situation.

My mum isn't thrilled either, but she's said that she won't stop me if it's what I really want.

Yeah, that's true. I've been thinking about that lately.

Well, if I see any axe sharpening I'll be sure to send in a request! :sweat_smile:

8. DCSC

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just to add as well, I also had to complete a questionnaire before going to halls. There was an option stating if I wanted to go on the "quiet" floor which I ticked. It was great because I had the less noisy place in the block but if I wanted to party I would just have to go down two flights of stairs to my friend's room and there we go!

9. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. :slight_smile: I spoke to my dad recently about accommodation, and later on we are going to discuss in more detail as a family, so it looks like it may indeed be happening (moving into halls). Just have to hope that I pass my final assignment of foundation year, so then I definitely have a place next year in the full degree course. :fingers_crossed:

#9 Canterpiece, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    LostInDaydreams likes this.
  10. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Update: I may have to defer a year due to circumstances that have presented themselves recently, it could be possible to just about fund myself through first year- money would be tight though, and I would probably do well to spend another year at home so I could save and better fund myself, otherwise I'd only be able to cover the first year.

#10 Canterpiece, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  11. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to hear this, but it's great that you're still focused on what you want to achieve. Better to achieve all of it than some of it, definitely.

Are you in the UK? Is it living costs that are the issue? From memory, the cost of halls was my entire maintenance loan/grant gone. It's hard.

12. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I am in the UK. England specifically.

It's possible I could still go in my first year if I opted for slightly cheaper accommodation, then I'd be able to cover it, and I would have more money for food that way, not much, but enough to get by, although I'm not sure what to do. There are some cheaper places which are still decent, so it is a possibility. I'll have to have a think about whether I want to defer or not. :thinking:

#12 Canterpiece, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    LostInDaydreams likes this.
  13. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Update: I have decided to apply for this year. :slight_smile:

pay, DCSC and LostInDaydreams like this.
  14. DCSC

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    YES!

Well done, and good luck!

Canterpiece likes this.
  15. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another update: I got offered a place, and a friend of mine is moving into the same flat! :slight_smile:

LostInDaydreams, DCSC and pay like this.