1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Get Tested?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by AndyH, May 23, 2019.

1. AndyH

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, something has been on my mind for a while. I was a virgin and did some minor stuff with a couple of men via a certain hookup app. I have only have had full-on sex with one person (a guy), and that has been around a year ago.

It has been around 6-8 mos since I've done anything sexual, and through the whole process I've never been tested. I was/am largely not out, and so any exploring had to be done under the radar. I have no plans to be active any time in the near future, but obviously when and if that time comes again, I plan on being safe and getting tested regularly.

Since it's been that long, do I need to worry about anything? I have no reason to believe I have anything - I just wonder if it's a good thing to do (just because).Where does one go to get a screening/test?

Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated.

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, you should get tested. A few of the worst STD's like syphilis and HIV sometimes don't have any noticeable symptoms for years so 6 months isn't long enough to automatically rule everything out.

Pretty much any physician or clinic can do the tests for you, and they're often free.

#2 Destin, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Lek likes this.
  3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Even though it has been awhile, as Destin indicated, some STDs don't show up or make themselves known immediately. If you have used protection you are most likely fine; but if it helps to put your mind at ease have an STD test done at your local clinic/laboratory services; if you have a doctor it would be good to trying to get a referral for the tests; if not, you can get it done by a walk-in lab.

Generally speaking, it is always good to get tested from time to time, especially once you are sexually active. To ensure things will work out well, and be fine, always use protection. :slight_smile:

Destin, Lek and smurf like this.
  4. smurf

Like everyone else said above, everyone should be getting tested at least once a year. Even if you are in a monogamous relationship because that's the only way to keep yourself safe.

It also demystifies the experience for you. One of the worst things that happens often is that people go get tested for the first time after a scarce. Sometimes the anxiety of trying to figure out how to do it, how to pay for it and how to keep it a secret on top of being scared of an STI makes it so people simply ignore the problem and forgo getting tested. Don't be those people.

Thanks to Obamacare, syphilis and HIV testing are all free. Not sure why gonorrhea isn't covered truly.

Most health clinics, lgbt centers and planned parenthood centers will also have programs to get STI testing for free.

Heads up that some doctors aren't used to "straight" people asking to get STI testing so you might get pushed back. I had two friends who doctors almost refused to test them for HIV since "they are straight so they don't have a high chance of getting it". If that happens, just be confident and demand they test you.

Go you for getting tested!

Destin likes this.
  5. Jaimequestions

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It never hurts to get a check up. When you get your test results back and everything is fine, then the weight will be off of your shoulders