1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Share about reconnecting with people from your past - not really relationship or sexual thread

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Tightrope, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've had the chance to reconnect with people from my past through social media such as Facebook. This would be people from high school, college, and other things I've been involved in.

What happens is that there's an initial rush and interest to talk about the good times. Then, over months and years, it fades. These reconnections turned out to be very front loaded. Most of these people have their own families, their own struggles, and I can understand that. Our lives change as time goes on. Mine has, too.

I get a little down that these reconnections sort of fizzle. I try to keep them going during the holidays and remember birthdays and things like that.

It's also hard to replace them with newer friends but, with the friends that have come through, it's all better because it's current. You all met when you're the person that you are NOW.

What do you think? Move on and let go of old friends and work on new ones? It might be interesting to hear what others have to say about their experiences with friends and acquaintances over time. It doesn't have to have a romantic or sexual part, but it can if it's a part of it.

BiGemini87 likes this.
  2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tightrope.....I think for me, that there is combination of renewing old friends as well as keeping the new. There are some old friends from high school and college with whom I have been really happy to have been able to reestablish a connection. HS & College are a long time ago for me and I have been able to share a lot and even go visit with those important friends. We have really enjoyed catching up with each other and also laughing and just generally enjoying talking about our days together in HS & College. Of course in addition to these older, valued friends, I have many newer friends that I have made through my job as a teacher for over 40 years. Some of them are fellow teachers, many are former students and others are friends that I've come to know at church and other activities that I have been involved with in my community. So I value a combination of both older and newer friends. I am however, quite happy that social media, etc. has made it possible for me to reconnect with so many of my older friends. That's something that would not have been possible in the past and I really do value that opportunity.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Tightrope likes this.
  3. PJ208

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I moved on myself. I added a ton of people from my past that I hadn't seen or spoken too in 20-30 years. Just like you said, initially it was kittens and rainbows then silence. Or it was just add them and silence. I guess I quenched my thirst about wondering what had happened to them because when I was done I just removed them all from my social media and got on with life. haha.

Tightrope likes this.
  4. caden0803

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Whenever I’ve had friends who came and went it made me sad too but I moved on eventually. Because it game me the determination to make new friends, or I was lucky enough that new friends did the work for me by introducing themselves.

Tightrope likes this.
  5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Over the years, I had opportunities to reconnect with friends I made in highschool or during my university years. My experience has been similar to yours, in that there was a period of time of excitement and catching up, but as time progressed, the spark fizzled. Once the catching up was done other things started to take over and the connection for what it was, became weaker again.

I think it has to do with what you have mentioned and that is that as our lives change so do our friendships. At least with one or two reconnections, I realised early on and even though it was exciting to reconnect, there wasn't all that much to say after the initial period, in part because of a change in our interests, life goals. Geographic distance also contributed to it, even with social media and other ways to connect or stay in touch.

Most of my friends are 'newer' with the exception of a close friend who lives in a different country.

Tightrope and BiGemini87 like this.
  6. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's funny that this topic comes up now, since I've been doing a bit of this myself. I find it varies from case-to-case: Some people, even if we parted on good terms, I have no wish to reconnect with. I figure for some of these, it's because it's been too long and their role in my life was too brief, so it would be awkward if I attempted. Of these individuals, some of them I still have on social media and have had for a long time, so I usually keep them--even if we basically never talk. Conversely though, there are individuals I don't have on social media or haven't had for a long time, and oddly enough, I find myself sometimes wanting to reconnect with these individuals, however big or small their role in my life has been.

Largely, I find the people I'm most inclined to seek out are those I can connect to a specific feeling, experience, or event. For example, I've sought reconnections with women I knew when my husband and I first moved in together in our late teens; this was at a time when I'd be on long day shifts and come home just as he was leaving for his night shifts, so I wound up seeking their company to wile away the hours (our first apartment was downtown, where there was lots of activity thanks to the bars and food joints, so it could be a bit nerve-wracking to so much as set foot outside on my own at night; company was a must). These were also girls he'd gone to school with, and as our relationship was fairly new, I wanted to get to know his friends better and build friendships of my own with them. Incidentally, one of them was also bi, so I often think about how we connected (platonically) despite my closeted-ness at the time.

In sum, I usually prefer to leave things as they are, because I know things change a lot over time--but now and again, I am seized with this need to reconnect, especially if we shared more of a connection. I've also noticed the same effect as you, of course, in that things do fizzle out. For a handful, I can go months or a couple years without talking, but have it pick back up when something interests them (or vice versa).

#6 BiGemini87, Nov 3, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    Tightrope likes this.
  7. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely noticed my own attitude to reconnecting changing as I get older.

When I was young, all of my friends were current, and even the thought of losing one made me sick (as I had only few friends in the first place)
    When I prepared to come out, I also prepared to lose a few friends over it, and I was over the moon to find out all but one stood by me.
    When I went off to uni, I felt betrayed by the friends who went off to form their own new friend groups. How dare they so much as suggest I wasn't the only friend they needed for the rest of their lives?

When I was in my 20s, and facebook first started becoming a thing, I was so happy to reconnect with a few people I had lost contact with after starting uni/work, and very distraught when this did not lead to a permanent renewal of the close friendship we had before.

And now... it all starts feeling more like one of the natural cycles of life. You meet, you connect, you drift apart, you reconnect, and sometimes it sticks and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you discover after one droink together you have nothing in common anymore (at least for the time being). Sometimes it sticks for two years and then you drift apart again. Sometimes it sticks only after two or three reconnections.
    People marry and build houses and have kids and family and work emergencies and sometimes they need to attend to those over their particular friendship with you.

So apart from a core group of friends I do believe I will keep seeing forever, there is a revolving door of people I am reconnecting with, or who I am drifting apart from again.

If there's any conclusion I can draw now, it is that this is not a bad thing. This is maybe just how life has to be?
    A friendship does not need to be eternal to have value. A moment does not need to stretch out for a lifetime to be authentic. Moments of reconnection can be savoured in the moment and you can take "the future of the friendship" one step at a time.

8. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hmm interesting subject. I have considered attempting to track down old friends. But after I had my gender revelation in 2020 I thought 'do I really need the added grief?'

I mean, were I to meet up with them it would be awkward. In such situations people tend to treat each other as they were when they last saw you. That's why school reunions are so absurd. In the intervening years all parties concerned have (hopefully) grown and matured and changed, so the people they are now hardly resemble the children they once were. Yet there are always some people at such things who remember daft things you did as a child and insist on dredging them up..

There's another factor as well - for long periods during my teens and twenties and even thirties I was deeply unhappy. Why would I want to revisit those times?

Beth

mnguy likes this.