1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sex Therapy

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by EcoMan, Jun 5, 2019.

1. EcoMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone tried sex therapy for ED issues? I have anxiety disorder and its affecting my ability to perform. I am only 32. I have my first appointment with the therapist this week. I am both excited and also worried I am going to not find it effective.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the anxiety is affecting ED (which is pretty common, actually), then I'd think it would make more sense to address the anxiety in therapy first, rather than the ED in a sex therapy setting. Typically, sex therapy is best applied to people who have some sort of severe discomfort or hang-up around sex, rather than generalized anxiety.

That said, no reason not to explore it, as most of us have some level of discomfort or hang-up around nudity and sexual situations, simply because society puts so much of a negative value and shaming on sexual expression.

EcoMan likes this.
  3. EcoMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, Chip. I have anxiety about a lot of different things. I’m hoping to work with this therapist on multiple issues, ED being one.