1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serbian law....

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Sota, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Sota

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So i just did a research about transitioning in my country, Serbia.
    So i found out it's not easy to be trans in Serbia. You can't start transition or have surgeries if u are under 18. Your name and sex on document can legaly be changed only if you have sex reasigment surgery. The surgery is not expensive and that surprised me a lot. For about 1500€-2000€ is bottom surgery. And if u want to start HRT minimum 1 year needs to pass and then they decide if you are ready or not. There are only 5 endocrinologist in whole country. And more negative things too. :frowning2:

2. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't know that all sounds reasonable to me. I think that they must want you to have enough time to make an informed decision.

3. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry to tell you this because I know it must be hard to have to wait so long just to be comfortable in your own body but this is pretty standard for most countries. You might be able to move somewhere with more endocrinologists and some countries allow you to change sex markers without surgery but you're not going to find much better.

They will not operate on minors because their bodies are not physically mature and because their minds are still developing. I don't know of any country where they'd allow sex reassignment surgeries on children. I know that in some places they allow teenagers to start hormones at the age of sixteen but I believe you will need extensive psychological evaluation, the consent of your parents and a diagnosis of gender dysphoria before they allow anything. I know that here, they also require for you to live as the gender you identify as for a year. This is because they want to minimize the chance of detransition or regret as taking cross-sex hormones can have irreversible effects on the body. If they did allow people to transition without any regulations, they could end up in deep trouble (loss of licenses, being sued, etc.).

I'm not sure how old you are but I know that transition probably seems out of reach now, if you're still a teenager. But trust me, time goes a lot faster than you think and there are things you can do now that will help. I do believe that if you can get a psychiatrist, they can evaluate you for gender dysphoria. I was told that if you get the diagnosis now, it will still be valid once you turn eighteen years old. Furthermore, you can still socially transition; choose a new name and pronouns, something you'd like to be legally known by. This way, you will be used to being called by your preferred gender way before you become an adult and you should be able to tell whether or not you want to go through with hormonal and surgical transition by then. You can still pass perfectly well without sex reassignment surgery, some people never get surgery at all. Just remember that your gender does not have to be defined by your sex in any way. And I know it's hard now but you've got to do the best you can and work with what you've got for the time being.

Sota and Jackie Ray like this.
  4. Sota

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you soooo much for your help. I'm 15. I'm planing to come out to a few friends and then family. I don't need to rush there are 3 more years,enough to make a decision. Thanks once again!

5. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No problem. I'm not sure whether or not they speak English or what their level of fluency is but uppercaseCHASE1 is a trans YouTuber who has a series informative videos for family and friends. This might be useful to watch before coming out or you could watch the videos with them. Again, I don't know how useful they'll be but I thought it was worth mentioning anyway. They can be found here:
    https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7SgbxvTR7N4ABiyIH1vO6BmKkVEpRNp6

6. Sota

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the advice. I'll see what i can do , my parents don't speak English.