1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self-sabotage (eating disorders, self harm, etc.)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ConfusedBiGirl, Feb 11, 2019.

1. ConfusedBiGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, once again this isn’t exactly an LGBTQ+ specific issue but because I have found comfort in using this forum before I thought I could seek some advice about my issue here anyway. Apologies for any self-pitying your about to witness, I didn’t intend for this to be a massive sob story but things just aren’t great for me at the moment.

I have really suffered with depression and anxiety for a couple of years and this has gotten worse since I was raped at the beginning of 2018. What I have learned from getting to know my mental illness is that when I am in a rough place I will massively self sabotage. For example, binge drinking, binge eating, taking drugs, self harm (feeling like I need to do more and more because I haven’t harmed myself enough), staying in bed all day, sleeping too much (forcing myself back to sleep even when I have something to do), sleeping too little (keeping myself awake even when I’m tired). I will do things that I know are going to have a negative impact on me, which I think is to stay in control and avoid disappointment if something goes wrong without me choosing it. Basically, overdoing everything.

Out of these things my worst self-sabotaging habit is definitely binge eating. When I was younger I was bullied for how ‘skinny’ I was and so since then I’ve had a really difficult relationship with food. I will eat to the point of feeling sick and force myself to keep eating even when I feel shit about it. It makes me feel angry with myself if I can’t finish everything in my reach and so I won’t stop until idea. This includes buying takeaways and ordering as much as possible even though I am struggling for money and don’t need it.

Anyway, so what I need advice on and am hoping someone will relate to/have experience with or just be able to shed some light on is the fact I am a vegetarian yet when my mental health is low I will eat meat. I am not someone who forces my opinions down others throats or tries to persuade anyone to live my lifestyle (though I do think it is important and would be great if more people would stop eating meat). I did only become vegetarian at the start of 2018 (when I was 18) but I am very passionate about it and my reason for becoming one was because I love animals and realised if I was not willing to kill an animal myself then why should I eat them? Also, my Dad being a vegetarian all his life did influence me. I realised I wasn’t being a hypocrite by eating meat yet getting upset by the death of animals and once I really did my research and discovered the benefit cutting down your meat consumption has on the environment. However, there have been about 5 occasions where I have eaten meat since which I always have to force myself to do and makes me feel so guilty. Whenever this has happened it also coincides with binge eating, so I will buy several burgers and loads of chicken nuggets for example. It makes me feel horrible before, during and after and I think about it for days afterwards yet still can’t stop my compulsion to do it again. It is unhealthy both mentally and physically and very destructive for me.

Does anyone know why I do this? Or have any experience of this themselves? I would love to stop or at least understand why I am this way, even having someone who relates would be a comfort, knowing I am not alone. Any advice or words of comfort would be so appreciated.

Thanks for your time! Sorry for the rambling.

2. Melancholy

Melancholy Guest

I can relate to this. You've talked about this stuff out loud, which I can't do - so well done.

Unfortunately I don't have any advice other than therapy - it certainly helped for me because I had no one else worth trusting - but he ended up being a bit weird with some things which waned my trust in him. I've actually only had one experience with a mental health professional that was good (one at a college.)

I suppose what I'm saying is you need someone trustworthy. Do you have anyone around you you can trust and talk to?

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In order to address the issues with binge eating (and other destructive habits) it might be a good idea to revisit what happened to you early last year, because it seems to have exacerbated the pre-existing mental health problems. After the rape what support, if any, did you receive? Was there an offer of therapy?

It's not clear if the self sabotage began immediately after the rape, or later, but I would suggest there is a link. Is it possible that you are indulging in these destructive habits to numb yourself to the emotional scars of that terrible ordeal last year?

It can take some strength and determination to follow a vegetarian lifestyle. If we have eaten meat on a regular basis for many years it really can be difficult to change our diet and cut it out completely, especially if we are in a bad place emotionally. Good habits often require us to be in a good place and anything that disrupts our emotional wellbeing (like a serious sexual assault) will set us back, so I want to caution you against excessive rumination if/when you lapse. The important thing to remember is that you have cut out meat over the last 12 months, apart from on 5 occasions when you felt particularly upset and vulnerable. So if we put that into perspective, it's 5 times in around 400 days. That's pretty good really, isn't it?

It will be hard to trawl up all of the horrible feelings connected to the rape, but sometimes it is necessary to go back to a bad place (with professional help and support) in order to rebuild and move on to a better, stronger place where we feel empowered and determined again, so if you're not currently working with a therapist I would urge you to begin the process.

4. MaybeBenji

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd like to start by saying I'm sorry for what you went through. But you survived it, that's what's important. I can't relate on some of the things that you've been dealing with other than the eating disorder. I know from experience that that is a coping mechanism. I also know that it can become an addiction that you struggle with long after you've dealt with trauma. The best advice I can give is to do whatever you can to stop now. See a therapist if you can, if not try journaling or talking to someone you trust. Please take care of yourself. We're all here for you but it's very important that you have people in real life to lean on.
    It's going to be hard but eventually you'll get to a place where you don't need unhealthy habits anymore.
    You're strong and you are loved. Try to get help.

5. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’ve struggled with self harm in a lot of forms in the past (cutting, drugs, etc. etc.) and still do, in some forms of it, so I can relate. It looks like the meat eating is a form of self punishment for you. Now you need to figure out why you feel the need to hurt/punish yourself, and how to develop better coping methods. Therapy can be really helpful, if you have access to it. In any case, you don’t deserve any of it - what you’ve been through in the past and what you’re going through now. Take care.