1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Searching for Siblings

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Aielar, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Aielar

Hey everyone (after my short hiatus) it has been a while. Anyways, getting to the point of this thread...

I recently found out I may have more siblings (half siblings, most likely, that were adopted into another family) and am considering applying to have my name posted on an adoption registry to hopefully find them, or other members of my birth family. This morning, I started to have second thoughts and now I am not sure if I want to know. Does anyone else have any experience with this? I have tried to do some google searches to find some perspectives from people who have searched for siblings, but haven't found anything particularly useful, and the public library doesn't have much in the way of literary resources either.

Thanks.

2. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm searching for a possible older sibling who may or may not exist...Backstory is, I am my parents' oldest child, but my birth certificate says that my mother had one living child at the time of my birth. Might be a typo, might not, but she has some time that is largely unaccounted for a couple years before she met my dad that makes it seem at least remotely possible. So I have posted a few places to see what might come to light, if anything.

From everything I've ever heard, peoples' experiences with this can be very different, and a lot of it depends on what you want to get out of it. If it's strictly from the perspective of wanting to connect people and history, health information etc., it is likely to be a more healthy and positive experience than hoping to reconnect on a more emotional level. Bear in mind that depending on their ages when they were adopted out, you may have nothing in common with them of any kind, although they might well appreciate knowing if there's a history of cancer, heart disease etc.

I would think that if you go at it from a fairly clinical perspective, it will keep your own emotions in check, and if you find someone, approach them in the same way and there probably won't be any major trauma. Especially going through a registry, since if someone applies, they actually WANT to find something (which would be better than just showing up on someone's doorstep).