1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Diversity Day

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by MeskElil, Sep 17, 2008.

1. MeskElil

When my principal died this summer, one of his (many) dying wishes was that the school be more open to those who are different from us. In his honor, we are having Diversity Day at school, where we will hear from various speakers telling us to be more acceptant of others.
    Though it is a Catholic school, I thought maybe the thought of accepting people just as they are would help trigger in people's minds that yes, gays are people, too. Because it's not like the school can say: "You need to love and accept everyone...oh, except gay people."
    Also, a cool thing I found out: my friend Maria and I went to a dance recently, and we got in as a couple for 3/4 of the price for two separates--no questions asked!
    Maybe people are taking a step in the right direction.

2. Noah

Sounds great!

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Do you know yet who the speakers are and if they are touching on the "gay" subject at all?

4. MeskElil

Unfortunately, no, I don't. I highly doubt they will touch on the subject of homosexuality in a Catholic school setting; however, with the open-minded kids who go to my school, perhaps the seed of acceptance of diversity will be planted in their minds, and will grow and spread and lead them to view ALL people (yes, including gays) as valid and respectable human beings.
    At least one can hope, right? :slight_smile:

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If no one brings up things outside the heteronormative, do it yourself. You don't have to be at a podium in front of an audience to influence the minds of your classmates. Take advantage of the setting and try to drop some subtle hints towards acceptance or something. Anything but being silent.