1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scars of Our Youth

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dionysios, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems that, in addition to our Coming Out experiences, that many of us have also been dealing with heavy issues in our youth which have shaped us for bad or worse. For some it is abuse, for others the mental or physical health issues. Whatever they are, these events from the past still may haunt or influence us.

For me, my childhood was traumatized by my my father's alcoholism. My father was a plaster before becoming a realtor. At heart he was a great guy but as I grew up he wrestled with a serious drinking problem. At times he would fight it, stay sober and all was well. But when he began spending more and more time in saloons and at home drinking, his work ethic slipped. Finances became tight. As a result my family went bankrupt a couple of times. We had to often move. Even when we managed to have a roof over our heads, many bills could not be paid. There were many times we had no electricity or heat. I remember eating pancakes every night for dinner because my folks could afford anything else. Small wonder that there was marital discord between my parents. They argued and fought and every couple of years they headed for a divorce, only to patch up things and return to the ways things were. My parents eventually did divorce, long after I had moved out, but my dad never was able to give up alcohol. Next month it will be 20 years since I stood by his deathbed and watched him die of cirrhosis of the liver. As he died he murmured to me what a painful death it was and yet he loved me and was glad I was present.

My personal experience reminds me that there is no such thing as a "perfect" upbringing. So many people have had to deal with some serious, painful and emotional issues growing up. I try not to be bitter and hope that my father's alcoholism has made me more empathetic of human weaknesses. If people are harsh or rude to me, I make an effort not to judge and take it personally. One doesn't know what the other person has gone through or is going through. Their private life might be terrible. My advice is that we should never let the scars of our youth prevent us from living a better and happier life. We should learn from those experiences and not repeat them. Today, while I might enjoy a glass a wine once and a while, I stay away from hard liquor. And I am thankful my son did not grow up with the drama and trauma I did. *smile*

2. Waffless

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I take my hat off to you sir that was very well said and I just love learning from others. I'm really glad I saw this and I hope I retain this wisdom

3. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    My parents divorced and my mom married an abusive drunk. My dad married a psychotic woman who wanted to take full custody. A year after that he ditched her and also married a drunk. I have a good life. :/

4. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So sorry to hear that your parents seemed doomed to marry alcoholics. That's a tough road to trod down alone. I just hope have a good support system to turn to. There are trained counselors you can speak to as well. I should have gone to one when I was younger. It would have given me some comfort and support to help me deal with it.

5. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much! That was very kind of you. *smile* I personally believe that there are life lessons we can all learn from in any difficult situation. It may be a painful process but if we can make something positive out of these sufferings, then the experience will be a catalyst to enrich our lives in the future.

6. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad always worked insane hours by choice just because he liked work, so we didn't see him that much despite his office being just a few miles away. I'd see him maybe once every 3 days on average because he'd only come home to sleep the rest of the days. I didn't realize it at the time but now I see he pretty much decided work was more important than us.

With my dad always gone, my mom had to take care of all 5 of the kids herself, including my two disabled brothers. Since I'm the oldest I of course then had to help her with the rest of my siblings too, and still do. I was expected to always be the perfect Christian son who never did anything bad, always be the best in my class at school etc. and be a third parent to my disabled brothers. I'm also the only one capable of passing on the family name, which is important to my mom, and she's pretty much been telling me to get someone pregnant since I was about 16. Discovering being gay was not helpful for that and no matter how much I realize It's my life not hers, I still feel like a horrible son for not having given her the biological grandchildren she wants after all the things she did for me growing up.

I have issues with partying/drugs/alcohol/sex addiction that I've been working on. I'm not sure if they were caused by that but some of it might have been.

7. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad and his bipolar which is still a problem to this day. The suicide attempts, the car which was a write off after 1: suicide attempt. Not having any money, not having a dad that could always work. Having both your parents in the mental hospital at the same time!!! Visiting the hospital and being scared because there were alot of weird people, not being disrespectful but as a child it was terrifying.
    I still love you Dad xxx

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    He might have liked work. It also occurs to me that he might have been addicted to work.

First, even if you were straight, and got married, there is no guarantee of children to carry on the name. What would your mother do if your hypothetical wife turned out to be infertile? Suggest a nice divorce, and try again?

Secondly, biological children aren't necessarily impossible with a gay son. 1 gay guy + 1 lesbian + 1 turkey baster=biological kid for both the gay guy and the lesbian.

9. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Destin, my twin brother and I were the oldest of seven and we felt the burden, like you, of helping raise our siblings. My youngest sibling is 17 years younger than me and I changed his diapers much of the time as my dad was elsewhere. It's too bad that you dad was so often absent from home. It's a heavy responsibility for your mom to have put on young shoulders. You didn't deserve that. I am sure that you did as much as you could. Perhaps the pressures put on you to take care of others helped contribute to the partying/drugs/alcohol/ sex addiction. It may have been the way you coped.

Don't lose any sleep about failing your mother about procreating and passing on the family name. Everyone is basically 100th cousins to everyone else anyway. In a reverse from your situation, my mother never expected me to carry on the family name and have children (I have five brothers). Instead she expected me to become a priest. I became a priest (a married one) and gave her a grandson anyway. *chuckle*

My friend you've had a lot of drama in your young life (I've read some other of your posts). After all that you went through, you need to live your own life without the pains of feeling that you were somehow a horrible son. That's sounds so far from the truth! You were there for your mom and siblings when they needed help. What might have happened to them if you stood back and didn't lift a finger to help? Your involvement was a wonderful gift! You sound like you have many gifts to share with others. I just hope you don't let your past prevent you from creating a beautiful life your yourself in the future! *Smile*

10. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can vouch for the second point. My gay nephew is the biological father of his lesbian sister's wife two children. And a turkey baster (or something like it) was responsible! *grin*

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As for me...I'm sure I was affected by a lot that happened growing up. My family was probably dysfunctional (my father was very much a workaholic). A lot of events at school also probably took a negative toll on me. I had some very dysfunctional relationships with other kids at school. I think every "best friend" I had in elementary school was a relationship that had serious problems (like one kid who tended dominate and be in full control).

12. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, my friend, that is quite an ordeal! I did not know. I cannot begin to fathom what you had to go through dealing with suicide attempts, poverty and mental hospitals. No wonder it was terrifying. I would have been scared s***less! I know you also have your own health issues. Yet I am so happy that you have made a life for yourself DESPITE all of what you had to endure! It demonstrates your tenacity and determination to create a better life for yourself and your loved ones. Wonderful!!!

13. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, probably. An Annulment instead of a divorce to keep it religiously acceptable though. I wouldn't rule out her telling me to cheat on my wife until someone got pregnant too, her desire for grandchildren would override any other morals.

That's true. She wouldn't be thrilled about her grandchildren being raised by gay people either, but it's better than nothing and I might end up going that route one day.

14. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really appreciate the kind words. Thank you. I'm trying to create that beautiful life now, I just wish I had done things differently and not dug myself into such a large hole I now need to crawl out of.

15. yayo1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On the outside, my family looked very middle to upper-middle class. But honestly, there were elements of my childhood that were dark and sordid.

My mother was bipolar I (a condition which I inherited in the form of bipolar II) and would have severe psychological breakdowns.. we’d be pawned off on different family members while my mother was in the hospital because my father was distant workaholic who couldn’t deal.

I was also molested for a number of years by a close family friend. I didn’t tell anyone until I was an adult, but by now the scars are deep. They’re not going away.

My brother was also a drug addict (heroin and meth) starting when I was 10. But, hey, we went to Catholic school and lived in a lot of pretty houses!

You’re certainly right. Appearances are deceiving.

16. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You will do it my friend! It will take time, but things we want often do not come easily. You have weathered a lot of storms and I sure will weather this. Keep at it! You will realize that beautiful life so so richly deserve!

17. I'mStillStanding

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since this is a thread and not a dissertation I’m not gonna go into to much detail. But I agree we are influenced by the trauma from our past a lot. I’m always presenting this happy, joking, never meet a stranger guy to everyone. When you do this it really does keep people from asking too many questions about what’s going on inside.

I dealt with sexual abuse as a kid. Ages 4-8 by three males. Two of them only happened once and the other happened over a year period. One was in his 50’s (he was the first) the others in late teens. This really is one of the biggest reasons I had to be straight. I never wanted people to think that because I liked boys I wanted what happened to happen. I also always wonder what I had done to make them think it was ok... I didn’t really start addressing my sexuality issue till I admitted this happened and worked through this (everyone knew about the first one but not the others).

I also lost my little brother when I was 4, that was hard on my family. Mom never really came back from that. He died on my oldest brother’s birthday so that has always been a shadow there.

Lived with a terminally ill father (step dad but primary father figure) from the time I was 6. We literally watched him die over 23 years. Every time he’d go to hospital we’d think this is it and they’d tell us it was over. He’d recover and we go home thinking ok one more Christmas or birthday. Then it’d happen again.

Also struggled with anxiety and depression issues. Obvi the abuse and all this affected it but was never really treated properly.

Then at 10 I got sick. Was sick for over 15 years. Nearly died actually, they were doing compressions and all after I’d been in the hospital for over a week. I couldn’t eat or drink (hadn’t for nearly 2 weeks at this point). Well later discovered gluten poisons my body. It causes my digestive track to attack itself and actually mimics Crohn's diseases (which they had diagnosed me with when I was 24).

I refuse to be jaded because of all this. I struggle for sure (I mean do have bipolar type 2 disorder found that out last year). But life is short and if I have to force myself to see the positive side that’s what I’m gonna do!

18. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I seem to write about my childhood a lot here, mainly about the negative aspects. Especially whenever I start a thread about education, it can be difficult refraining from doing so with such topics. However, I have also mentioned it in other subjects such as this one: https://forum.emptyclosets.com/inde...wish-this-wasnt-an-issue.477276/#post-6651418

Heck even when I make threads about moving on, shortly after I'm back to talking about it.

My relationship with my childhood is an odd one, I keep several items from that time and if you saw my collection you might be fooled into thinking that I miss it. But I don't. There are items on that shelf that make me uncomfortable due to my associations with them. Yet at the same time I like that stuff being there. It's a strange, irrational thing.

Now, I think it should be noted that there were positive moments in my childhood. Sometimes something as simple as drinking apple juice with lemonade makes me think of summer holidays spent in the garden, sitting in a miniature tent.

My past definitely still affects me. I'm often told that I'm too cynical for my age. My severe phobias (claustrophobia and also a fear of dolls) are a result of my childhood as well as my teenage years.

I can't sit in the middle of a table when at a family meal, otherwise I freak out and cool off in another room. Always has to be an end seat.

Too many uncomfortable memories about being squashed into places to feel at ease in such situations.

I'm often told that I'm being over dramatic, but I get anxious quite easily and often assume the worst. When people are nice to me, I have a tendency to question their motives and I don't know how to accept praise.

#18 Canterpiece, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  19. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What you went through was terrible! Dealing with mental illness and abuse are pretty heavy burdens to deal with for an adult, much less a youngster. Those scars may not go away, but I trust that you have learned to cope with those traumas and move forward. So hope that your present life is much better and filled with the serenity, happiness and love that you deserve. *smile*

20. Dionysios

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I so appreciate you sharing your story. I can't begin to imagine what it was like for you growing up with the specter of sexual abuse hanging over your young life. It's so sad because children are so vulnerable. No wonder it caused you so much anguish, especially when dealing with issues relating to your sexuality. Losing your little brother, coping with a terminally ill father and suffering from all these health issues must have seemed overwhelming. I'm surprised you didn't turn to drugs or alcohol to dull the pain you must have felt.

My dear friend, it's a testament to your strong character and firm determination that you were not crushed by these events. It's wonderful to see that you maintain such a optimistic outlook DESPITE everything you went through. It's a true sign of a survivor! I only wish more people could overcome the horrors of their past to forge a better life for themselves like you are doing. Bravo!!!